I Bought It With a Knock

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
lloydie

Re: I Bought It With a Knock

Post by lloydie »

It will be when you are done .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Big_Jim59 wrote:Well the head is back on and I had to fight both the rising feeling of deja vu along with a mild bout of depression over this. It's my own fault I know. I should have checked EVERYTHING but I didn't. I paid for it in the end. Let's see how we get on this time around.
I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about it Jim, we've all done things like that before, well most of us have, hindsight being a wonderful thing and all that :wink:

Once you've checked the rear cylinder, fingers crossed this time it will all be good,

Chris.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Because I only found three pieces of broken collets when I disassembled the head, I pulled the pan and checked for bits but found nothing of interest in there.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Big_Jim59 wrote:Because I only found three pieces of broken collets when I disassembled the head, I pulled the pan and checked for bits but found nothing of interest in there.
Probably not a lot of help now, but could it have been in the oil that you drained out the first time before the strip down for the engine rebuild :?:

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

This sounds like you're pretty close to hitting the starter button again :D
Best of luck Jim, fingers crossed :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Pete.L wrote:This sounds like you're pretty close to hitting the starter button again :D
Best of luck Jim, fingers crossed :thumbup:

Pete.l
Yep and it's making me nervous. I am thinking of getting it all back together and rolling it over in the corner for a nice display, to keep it in one piece for a while.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

sirch345 wrote:
Big_Jim59 wrote:Because I only found three pieces of broken collets when I disassembled the head, I pulled the pan and checked for bits but found nothing of interest in there.
Probably not a lot of help now, but could it have been in the oil that you drained out the first time before the strip down for the engine rebuild :?:

Chris.
It could have or it could be stuck to the stator magnet! If it is still in there, which I doubt, and it finally makes it way to the pan, there is not much mischief it can get into down there. It could also be that the piece I am looking for was broken off early on and was part of the original collection of scrap in the pan before the rebuild. I didn't pay much attention to the size and shape of the scrap metal in the sump.

My old boss was a Harley mechanic for years and years. He told me that once, he was rebuilding a 74, (he always referred to what he worked on my engine size and 74 is the engine size in cubic inches) and with the cylinder off he tipped the case upside down and two small rocks fell out. The engine had many miles on it with no ill effect. The only thing he could figure out was a labor dispute. A disgruntled Harley employee just scooped up a handful of rocks to sabotage a few bikes. It always made me laugh because in those days they didn't need sabotage to build crappy bikes. They came off the line like that on purpose.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Big_Jim59 wrote:
sirch345 wrote:

Chris.
It could have or it could be stuck to the stator magnet! If it is still in there, which I doubt, and it finally makes it way to the pan, there is not much mischief it can get into down there. It could also be that the piece I am looking for was broken off early on and was part of the original collection of scrap in the pan before the rebuild. I didn't pay much attention to the size and shape of the scrap metal in the sump.

My old boss was a Harley mechanic for years and years. He told me that once, he was rebuilding a 74, (he always referred to what he worked on my engine size and 74 is the engine size in cubic inches) and with the cylinder off he tipped the case upside down and two small rocks fell out. The engine had many miles on it with no ill effect. The only thing he could figure out was a labor dispute. A disgruntled Harley employee just scooped up a handful of rocks to sabotage a few bikes. It always made me laugh because in those days they didn't need sabotage to build crappy bikes. They came off the line like that on purpose.
I thought as much, that my suggestion would probably not be of much use now unfortunately.

That's the first time I've ever heard of rocks being in an engine :) A disgruntled Harley employee would certainly fit the bill.

On another topic someone was wondering if you were going to the Moto GP this weekend? Take a look here:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36433

Chris.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

It is all back together again. I checked as much of it as I could and it does sound better. I was able to sync the carbs this time so that proves I have a stable vacuum on both cylinders. A sticking valve really screws up the vacuum. I made a video show it running.

http://youtu.be/0aw8oCzA6nY

I did ride it down the road (no helmet) so I could hear what it sounds like under load and it is a lot nicer than before. If you can hear it in the video the clutch side makes a "luck, luck, luck" sound but it definitely comes from the clutch side.

No MotoGP for me. If I had a few mates to go with I would have been down there like a shot. I don't fancy going by myself and that's what it would have amounted to. The wife is not too keen on motor sport. Next year for sure.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good to see and hear the video Jim :thumbup: The bike sounds a lot better to me, well done :clap:

Oh I meant to say, your cans sound great 8)

Re: the Moto GP, I can understand you not really interested in going on your own, it's definitely an event you want to share the excitement with while you're there,

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Well done and I hope it brings you many happy miles of smiles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

sirch345 wrote:Re: the Moto GP, I can understand you not really interested in going on your own, it's definitely an event you want to share the excitement with while you're there,

Chris.
I have a buddy that he and I have taken a few trips together. He is a great guy. We ride about the same pace. I know he is a good rider and that he is not going to do something stupid and get us killed. We have the same sense of humor and really enjoy each others company. He is younger than me and is just starting a family. His tripping days are over for a while. He has kid bikes and father son/daughter rides to look forward too. I did that with my kids and I understand. He has some great days ahead. I live close to Dallas (80 miles or so) but not close enough to have a group of mates. I tried joining the Norton club but they are more interested in looking at old bikes than in actual riding. Plus I am not much of a club person. I do envy you a bit. The UK seems to have a higher population density and so a lager pool of potential friends. It is the some in the US on the east or west coast but not so much here where everyone is spread out.

As for the Moto GP, this is actually a great time of year to hold a racing event in south Texas. The weather has not turned nasty hot and it makes for a more pleasant event. I think they are getting a little rain down there. This is the time of year for storms.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

The first time I had to mount the fairing it was a huge pain, trying to get it all aligned. Now it just slides into place as easy as you please. There is no substitute for experience.

That said, I woke up this morning and just as I opened my eyes I realized that I had not connected the head light or the running light. It's easier to pull the fairing anyway and I made quick work of that.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Big_Jim59 wrote:The first time I had to mount the fairing it was a huge pain, trying to get it all aligned. Now it just slides into place as easy as you please. There is no substitute for experience.

That said, I woke up this morning and just as I opened my eyes I realized that I had not connected the head light or the running light. It's easier to pull the fairing anyway and I made quick work of that.
Been there, done that :lol:

You only notice when it gets dark....

TBH I set the clearances with the heads off but they are often out by the time they're mounted and torqued down- dunno why, a small distortion or something probably.

What you can't do is set them off the bike and then just chuck them on.
Good that you're checking everything twice this time round.
You'll get there.....
Last edited by tony.mon on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

tony.mon wrote:
Big_Jim59 wrote:The first time I had to mount the fairing it was a huge pain, trying to get it all aligned. Now it just slides into place as easy as you please. There is no substitute for experience.

Been there, done that :lol:

You only notice when it gets dark....

TBH I set the clearances with the heads off but they are often out by the time they're mounted and torqued down- dunno why, a small distortion or something probably.

What you can't do is set them off the bike and then just check them on.
Good that you're checking everything twice this time round.
You'll get there.....
I did just that. I did set them on the bench and then, once the head was on and torqued and I had spun the engine a few time, I rechecked them. I foresee one more service, with a check of the front valve clearances, an oil change and at that point I will drain the coolant and pull the clutch cover and remove the anti-rattle gear. I am going to ride it a bit first, not far but i want to give the valves a little time to bed in.