what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
fabiostar

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by fabiostar »

MacV2 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:26 am
fabiostar wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:00 am lol and its a big dog..... just looking at the pics i think those discs are for the later wheel fit :sad2 :sad2

and il give you £52, a packet of jelly babies and a big kiss :eek2
Hmmm jelly babies... :think: Kiss is ok but no tongues...

I've seen pics of your dog... :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh hang on... :lol: :lol: :lol:
oh yeah be afraid,be very afraid lol
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
popkat

Post by popkat »

Fell off :( lost the front at a rather fast speed, bashed my hand up a bit with a couple of breaks but doesn't seem too bad. bike looks far worse, leather need work, Arai crash helmet damaged, gloves tore open down the seam of the thumb they aren't very old and a good make, gouges to my thumb and pulled the nail back a bit, don't think I'll lose it though..

Cold conditions (3-4 degree's) and a fast race, not on the ideal tyres and they gave no prior warnings, was doing good times and was fastest 750 at the time of binning it. Although I tested the bike at a couple of meetings last year this was the first time (after some winter mods) I felt really good with it and like I could really race. So a promising start but don't know when I'll get out again due to injury/damage/funds.

Not got a host site to post pics.. Maybe mac will copy them off FB and post them ?

VFR race bike not my Storm.

One of the mods was to run no airbox.. The bike sounds like a motogp bike when I'm on it and barks when you crack the throttle, right below my head is four open carbs, amazing sound and louder than any bike I've ever ridden, I can't hear the exhaust at all :lol:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

OUCH !

That reminds me I really need to get out & cut the grass...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

popkat wrote:Fell off :( lost the front at a rather fast speed, bashed my hand up a bit with a couple of breaks but doesn't seem too bad. bike looks far worse, leather need work, Arai crash helmet damaged, gloves tore open down the seam of the thumb they aren't very old and a good make, gouges to my thumb and pulled the nail back a bit, don't think I'll lose it though..

Cold conditions (3-4 degree's) and a fast race, not on the ideal tyres and they gave no prior warnings, was doing good times and was fastest 750 at the time of binning it. Although I tested the bike at a couple of meetings last year this was the first time (after some winter mods) I felt really good with it and like I could really race. So a promising start but don't know when I'll get out again due to injury/damage/funds.

Not got a host site to post pics.. Maybe mac will copy them off FB and post them ?

VFR race bike not my Storm.

One of the mods was to run no airbox.. The bike sounds like a motogp bike when I'm on it and barks when you crack the throttle, right below my head is four open carbs, amazing sound and louder than any bike I've ever ridden, I can't hear the exhaust at all :lol:

Quite a big off Malc all fixable hopefully and at least your reasonably ok considering fella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
popkat

Post by popkat »

I hope the steering damper isn't broke, I only just got it from Frank. also the front wheel I pinched off my Storm for the weekend so will be gutted if that's buggered :(

The handle bar was just bolted on to get the bike back to the van, the broken one is on the seat in the first pic. will probably need another spare when I get it fixed up, assuming I can get it all fixed.

My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

popkat wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:21 pm I hope the steering damper isn't broke, I only just got it from Frank. also the front wheel I pinched off my Storm for the weekend so will be gutted if that's buggered :(

The handle bar was just bolted on to get the bike back to the van, the broken one is on the seat in the first pic. will probably need another spare when I get it fixed up, assuming I can get it all fixed.

Deff got a free L/H clip on for you Malc, Just got some fresh stocks that Franks not got his legs on yet... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
popkat

Post by popkat »

MacV2 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:14 pm
popkat wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:21 pm I hope the steering damper isn't broke, I only just got it from Frank. also the front wheel I pinched off my Storm for the weekend so will be gutted if that's buggered :(

Deff got a free L/H clip on for you Malc, Just got some fresh stocks that Franks not got his legs on yet... :lol:

:thumbup: I'll give you a shout when I know the extent of the damage

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Ouch.
Glad you haven't suffered any worse damage to yourself Malc, although what you have is no doubt painful.

3 to 4 degrees is not really warm enough for racing I'm guessing,

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:53 pm Ouch.
Glad you haven't suffered any worse damage to yourself Malc, although what you have is no doubt painful.

3 to 4 degrees is not really warm enough for racing I'm guessing,

Chris.
It would be ok Chris if we could use tyre warmers and proper race tyres but the classic club won't allow it. I was on Metzeler M7RR, I think they are a fantastic sports road tyre but I guess I just pushed past their limit in the conditions, they don't give a great deal of feel when pushing hard and I had no warnings that they would let go. If the weather was warmer I believe it wouldn't have happened.
I have these tyres as at the moment they seem to be the best choice for the wet and/or cold. I think Avon will be rolling out something very soon but not available just yet.
I had a pair of Pirelli Rosso corsa tyres on spare wheels, I chose not to use them in that race as they take a little longer to warm so you have to be careful for a bit longer, but when they are warm they grip better and offer better feedback, shame I can't wind the clock back a little.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Malc, You would think the use of tyre warmers with proper race tyres would be a safer bet, especially in those low temperatures, it's a shame that the Classic class rules that out. I suppose the idea is to make Classic racing more affordable to Joe public, adding race tyres and tyre warmers would mean more cost to that class I presume,

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:19 pm I suppose the idea is to make Classic racing more affordable to Joe public, adding race tyres and tyre warmers would mean more cost to that class I presume,

Chris.

No it's because the operates for bikes up to 1986, tyre warmers weren't used back then. But wets were and they don't allow those either. The problem is there are still a few old duffers on the board that only like old classic British bikes mainly, they don't like Japanese stuff and say it's too modern even though they were around all through the 70's let alone the 80's. On safety grounds they really should allow the correct tyres for conditions and warmers. The only hope is that Avon can come up with a good tyre for all conditions that warms up quick. They make the AM22/23 for slimmer wheels and these are used extensively as they work as described above, they can't just copy these tyres to bigger rims though, it doesn't work like that unfortunately.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

popkat wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:35 pm
sirch345 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:19 pm I suppose the idea is to make Classic racing more affordable to Joe public, adding race tyres and tyre warmers would mean more cost to that class I presume,

Chris.

No it's because the operates for bikes up to 1986, tyre warmers weren't used back then. But wets were and they don't allow those either. The problem is there are still a few old duffers on the board that only like old classic British bikes mainly, they don't like Japanese stuff and say it's too modern even though they were around all through the 70's let alone the 80's. On safety grounds they really should allow the correct tyres for conditions and warmers. The only hope is that Avon can come up with a good tyre for all conditions that warms up quick. They make the AM22/23 for slimmer wheels and these are used extensively as they work as described above, they can't just copy these tyres to bigger rims though, it doesn't work like that unfortunately.

Ah, so that's the reason. The sooner Avon come up with something the better,

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Interesting update, I had a message from the marshal who was first to get to me, she said she saw the crash and doesn't think it was front end, she said it looked like something locked and I didn't slide gracefully but as she said came in full welt with no style. I know my hands and face slammed the ground really hard which you don't get with a front end wash out, you tend to slide more like a turtle on it's back.. I keep thinking back to it and It sort of felt like something dug in, this isn't possible though as there is loads of ground clearance. The handle bars definitely turned in my hands but I'm now thinking that maybe the back went first, this maybe caused the footpeg to dig in and push the front also. if that's the case the bike would have pivoted and could easily have thrown me over the top of it. It wasn't a highside or anything just seems a messy crash, the bike damage is also much great than a front wash out usually is too..
I'll be fully checking the bike over for any possible mechanical issue the could have caused it too.

Typing this is a help for me too, as it's very useful to know the reason for a crash, I'm still unsure but hoping to get to the bottom of it.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You're right that is interesting, so may not be what you thought after all.

Yes a thorough going over will be a very good idea,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Geez...glad your OK mate that is a big crash. Good job that was on track...imagine if that was with street furniture. :eek2 You could do with some video footage of the incident. Keep you eye on the web in case any spectators post something. The worst thing about crashing is the time and expense to get the bike back together. :(
==============================Enter the Darkside