I Bought It With a Knock

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Big_Jim59

Re: I Bought It With a Knock

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I pulled the rear valve cover (it's the easiest) and checked the chain tension (perfect) and the valve clearances (in spec). I also checked the timing which was spot on. I listened to the sound and it seems like it is coming from the clutch side. I wish now I had removed the anti-rattle gear. I'll do the front cylinder and then not worry about it anymore.

Addendum: everything checks out. I am going to call it a clutch rattle and say screw it. If it blows up so be it. I did tighten the exhaust nuts and that seemed to help a bit.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Does the tapping go away when you pull the clutch in ?
I've removed the anti rattle gear from mine and there is no noticeable difference in sound .
How ever if you remove the shield from inside the clutch case the engine is so noisy it's crazy !! .

Hope you get many miles of fun from it now without worry as they are very good bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kev64

Post by kev64 »

The rattle is probably no worse than any other, but I know that's not the point.
Nice work and an enjoyable read, thanks for taking the time !! :D
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I think this may be my final post on this thread. It has pretty much run it's course. I went from green newbie on a course of discovery to at least a knowledgeable technician in the innards of the VTR power plant.

I finally got my tag this afternoon and, when I got back,the power was out at the house. This is not unusual at times here in rural Texas but I took it as a sign from God that I was to go ride and not sit behind a desk. I pulled the bike out and immediately discovered that the rear view mirrors were not tight. This is a result of my son and my fax-son-in-law “helping” me install the fairing. (It is much easier the second time around.)

I got that taken care of and headed out. It was nice. The temperature was perfect but it was a little blustery. The biggest trouble was the POS roads we have around here. They delight in awarding road construction to the low bidder and it shows. As with all shakedown rides it was not without incident. I noticed it stumbling at idle and it lacked a crisp throttle response. I had to keep the revs up, like an old Norton with Mag trouble. It turns out the one of my handy dandy auxiliary vacuum lines I installed, to aid in carb balance, lost its cap. I had one side at a loss for vacuum at low revs and I am pretty sure it was the side that drives the vacuum petcock. The ticking is still there but it is not so pronounced with my helmet on. I am going to ignore it for a while.

All in all it was a very fun ride. The bike itself and the riding position make you ride faster than you intend. I was going to have a nice sedate ride and ended up screwing it on out of corners and banging through the gears on the straights. Fun, Fun, Fun! I was having so much fun I didn't notice if my neck hurt.

I might post a video link to this thread as a wrap up if I can get a good one. I want to thank everyone for their help and input over the last few weeks. I also want to thank cybercarl for the superb how-to thread on changing to manual CCTs. The chain tension videos were a huge help.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Nice one. Good to hear you having fun after all your hard work.
I noticed it stumbling at idle and it lacked a crisp throttle response.
I was already thinking vacuum at this point.

Around here they like to dig a hole in the road and then leave it for months on end. The other day I was in the car with a friend of mine and we got caught in heavy traffic. We where thinking this is bad, there must be an accident up ahead. The traffic eventually slowly started to flow and what do we a see. A great big deep hole in the road about 4 by 4 metres with loads of traffic cones covering not just the hole but about 20m ether side of it and some temporary traffic lights, causing the traffic to go single file onto the opposite carriageway. No sign of any workers working on the hole :roll: This added an extra hour to our journey. :twisted:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Same here. We will have miles of roadway torn up, and I don't mean a little, and not one person working on it for years at a time.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Well done and remember to keen an eye on the oil level and it condition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt999

Post by Kurt999 »

I haven't posted here, but I've followed this thread with great interest. Congratulations Big_Jim59, I'm glad your hard work and perseverence has paid off :clap:
Insurance: Bennetts CH24823B Exp 21/07/17
Mot Exp: 22/05/2017
Tax Exp: TBA
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Next project?

There is a white 2005 model with a messed up valve in Florida. But it's too far to go and my wife would have me committed.
popkat

Post by popkat »

:thumbup: well done Jim
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I changed oil and filter and I think just have to accept that the engine is mechanically noisy. It’s not bad. It just sounds like a loose tappit and it is madding. I could keep messing with it but I want to ride it a while. As I told you I checked the back cylinder and I can’t see going through the hell of checking the front when I know it is fine. (I checked it three times with the engine out of the frame). I am just being prissy, I know, but i am kind of like that when things don't feel right.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Jim: How did you set manual cct? I have experience that after mcct installation, engine went more quiet. I think there is some given freeplay of cam chain between cam gears, between 1/4" and 3/8".
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Also valve clearance checks should be made with the chain under tension ie cct's in place and adjusted up.