what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
bigtwinthing

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by bigtwinthing »

washed it ready for saturdays ride out
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I installed one of those blinky LED battery monitor lights, something I bought months ago to satisfy my Honda-electrical paranoia but never got around to fitting. This blinks when the motor is off, and goes steady with the motor running, with a range of green-orange-red colours. I took the highly technical approach to installation and cable tied the light to the right mirror subframe (using a colour-matched black cable tie) and have to say I'm impressed with my own handiwork as the location is great. I connected the unit direct to the battery with a fuse on the positive side.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Got rid of those S valves ( Not the sport type) and threw in two new ones from honda.

Lapped in my first set ever. I always send them out and get radius type edge finish.

I will say from the factory they were not lapped in good. also the shims were outta spec. 1.925 measured at 1.821 So I bought a new set they are coming tomorrow. The valve train is clean and lubed just waiting on shims.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

got the wee divvie ready for the winter 8O . bar heaters. great big muffs and put the high screen back on....its gona be a cold winter :eek2 :eek2

the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

got it running sort of... I think I just ID'''d the problem. I am guessing if rear was on tdc and I turned the crank a little more until it was on tdc. I have my cams set to the wrong stroke.... I think....

Tomorrow= Torque wrench and a re time also a bit longer of a bolt for my diy manual cct. It works.

Why do people get apes? A tap was like 2 dollars and a ss bolt was 60 yen. 340 yen... thats a samich.

Id post what I actually did but its in another post. Photos once this is sorted. Just let me sleep for a few hours and hopefully shell be going voom voom. instead of ping ping ping. it sounds like a hole in the header but I know its not exaust.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I got all creative and pulled the VTR apart so I could check the valve clearances and the manual CCTs. Got carried away and also cleaned the carb bowl and jets, jets were fine and just some fine rusty dust in the bowls. The valve clearances were all good, and the tensioners also in spec with about 7mm play between the sprockets. Put everything back together (including some more cleaning, a bit of silicone spray, cleaned and re-oiled the air filter), and then took a short (5 minute) ride. Was just heading back home when I had one of those "Oh sh1t" moments and remembered that I had only finger tightened two of the cam holder bolts on the front head (the other 6 were done up properly). I had visions of the camshafts leaping around and bolts backing out and disappearing into the gearbox!

So there went another couple of hours tearing everything back down, using my torque wrench for all of 30 seconds, and smacking myself on the head. No harm done however (except to my ego).

After doing this, I really appreciate the ease of valve access on my ST1100; with the plastics removed, the cam covers are sticking out either side of the bike just begging to be opened, and the gear drive makes for easy cam swapping if the shims need to be accessed. Still a heavy, sluggish pig compared to the VTR, horses for course I guess.
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Well first of all WHOO! WH WHOOOO! WHHOOOOO!

I got it running and went for a test drive. It's grunty mean and torquey. I bet i am 180 out as it seems better than ever a bit too good.

The worst thing I ever did to an engine was what I did today. I filled her with good clean water and then I added what I thought was antifreeze. should have known by the taste and the -35 on the bottle but yes I am that stupid. I am sure now I put windshield fluid in it. Bubbles blue and all. I am going to drain it in the morning but about a L of it is in the coolant passage.

I didnt get it up to temp and I am glad.

I also put fresh clutch fluid in the bike.
Last edited by RedStormJ on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I'd be flushing the cooling system out carefully as I doubt the Windowlene manufacturers think too hard about corrosion of aluminium radiators when they formulate the window cleaner. In addition to pulling off the lower radiator hose there is also a bung under the front head below the exhaust that should be opened. I'd then run tap water from a garden hose through the system for a few minutes until the water draining is clean and non-frothy.
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Sorry I didnt post earlier. I was out for a longer test ride.

Flushed with a hose then I flushed with distilled. Then I added half a liter of concentrated blue coolant and topped up with distilled. I will say the rads and the water that came out looked pretty clean.
That was in the morning. just now.....:
I just buttoned up the bike with the new IC flasher hardwired in. I ordered a new plug for it but that wont be in for a long time. Got the flash timed to be legal put the extra washers and bolt in their homes then it started to rain just as I put the seat on to go for a cruise... I told my wife yesterday that it will rain all week. I did not watch the weather channel...

By the way. anyone who read this can answer..... How long was it before you stopped checking your mccct every ride. Or do you still?

Also forgot to mention but maybe I did elsewhere. Front has a fart but I am sure it is half due to an exhaust leak.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I added half a liter of concentrated blue coolant and topped up with distilled
Recommended anti-freeze / distilled water ratio should be more like 50/50 - and with a total coolant capacity of a tad under 3L your quite a way under with anti-freeze.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Wicky wrote:
Recommended anti-freeze / distilled water ratio should be more like 50/50 - and with a total coolant capacity of a tad under 3L your quite a way under with anti-freeze.
I have always used pre mixed Halfords advanced, if your in the US don't use red/pink coolant it has Silica that is damaging most cooling systems, should be blue.

in the UK you have to read the label, cause you can get both colours with and without silica. I did panic after watching a US training video saying that you don't use pink coolant cause it has silica and damages seals, lucky the Halfords states silica free on the label.

Imagepic host
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

I am at the home of honda here. I am way under but left it more water to do an experiment real quick. Under 50/50 is actually fine. As long as the specific gravity is ok. Ill be getting my tester in the mail long before it even hits zero here. My experient was a success I think. I am still not sure as it was cold today. what has been said is that straight water in a system will actually cool better than coolant. I wanted to protect my pump so I added the coolant. Seems to run cooler.
The only thing that worried me today was I asked a bunch of times both my wife and the lady at the counter. Are you sure this is distilled water and not slightly acidic? as it was sold for battery top up. I asked many times and read the label. no flakes of aluminum and for sure no silica. They had green in the bike before and I doubt green was right because I have not seen anything manufactured past 2000 using green. Forgot the details but blue is better for aluminum engines and rads than green. Red is only good for engines made for it and mixing blue and red or green and red are a big no no no. green and blue are just fine. Then there is pink. I think thats audi's special mess. It gels easy and can form a white slime. I dont like it at all. I have read up on them at one point or another and I thought at the time that blue was superior and I didnt understand why they started making red.

On another note 20 below zero F was about 30% concentration in my audi. My bike lives inside a garage. It's not heated but It never hits that temperature here.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Wicky wrote:

its also a corrosion inhibitor.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Antifreeze is usually ethylene glycol or in some case propylene glycol. The presence of the glycol does two important things, it reduces the freezing point of the coolant (at 50:50 to -36C), but it also increases the boiling point (at 50:50 to 107C). Antifreeze also includes corrosion inhibitors (phosphates, silicates or borates) and coloured dye.

The heat transfer effectiveness of a liquid is related to it's specific heat, the amount of energy required to raise one gram by one degree C. Water has a higher specific heat than glycol, so pure water is a better coolant, but for the prevention of corrosion antifreeze should be used, and that also means the cooling system can function over a much wider temperature range.

In the short term running water with a splash of antifreeze would be fine, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a proper 50:50 mix in there in the long term. The density of 50:50 water:ethylene glycol would be around 1.07 g/mL at 20C.
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Agreed on both of the above but we kind of jacked the thread a bit. :lol:
I think its most important function besides antifreezing is the lubercation and corrosion inhibitors. On the 50/50 ratio I am not so sure that is correct. I am going to read over again. I think straight 50/50 premix came out as a marketing scam that took off. I also have never ran a 50/50 ratio except for in my sleds where they operate in a cold climate and do not need the cooling.
I put 200,000 on my audi before this one and the motor was just fine when I parted it out and screpped it. ( I regreat that. it was a cool car.)
My current audi had been serviced by me in the shop over 80,000 miles. Usually the coolant is a bit more dillute.
Now I am just saying my experiences. We always used a temp range tester and we usually dilluted it down from 50/50 to get a temp of -15. It seemed like less buildup happened in the coolant system. I also re read on red and I now know its a pos. Halfords red is probably not the same red sold here and the us. Blue is superior to green and its meant to last longer. Its thinner in viscosity as I remember and has a distinct smell if the radiator is leaking. It smells like sea salt. That is pentofrost blue. I just read that red was made because of some chemical compliance demand. Again probably not the stuff you guys can get. The stuff I am thinking of turns to gum if you mix green or blue in with it.
Now that being said. I am going to put a bit more in when I get a tester. My experiment was over that day. I was more interested for track applications.

Ok I am off to do something to my bike today so I can actually post it here as I feel like a criminal for highjacking such a great thred. :mrgreen: