what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
KermitLeFrog

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by KermitLeFrog »

tony.mon wrote:
KermitLeFrog wrote:Ever since fitting headlight relays my battery has been discharging more than it should. My optimizer is getting hot just trying to keep up with it. So, as a side note, the battery is knackered. Has been dodgy for a while. Imagine my pleasure when the local motor factors have a new one (by Joe Lucas, Prince of Darkness) for just 30 notes. Only 10AH (180CCA) but should be lot better than the old one.

But, that's a digression. Even with the supply side to the relays disconnected I'm getting a 114 mA leakage and you can hear the relays chatter when I connect the battery. The only supply to the relays is the solenoids now going through the switch block. WTF? Anyway, fairing off and diagnosis to do. May not be arsed tonight though.
Sounds like you have the "latch" side of the relay connected to a permanent live instead of a switched live.

You need to find a circuit which is only live when the ignition circuit is active.

Most people seem to use the rear light or brake light live feed but I use one from the rear of the clocks as the cable run is shorter, therefore lighter.

If you are able to measure load when the battery is connected; before the ignition is switched on, you have the wrong latch sensor connection.
Found it. I was using the wrong common on the relays. Putting it all back together now.

Had a busy bike weekend. The Storm has been sitting awaiting electrical treatment so I've been thrashing around on the KTM. Then this afternoon did some bike swapsies. Red Storm to garage after a clean and some TLC on a rusty chain, R6 back to mine.

I keep on thinking of selling the R6 and then, like today, I take it for a ride. You need to be in the right mood and have the right roads but...... When that all comes together the thing is unbeatable. The Storm is fun every day, the R6 needs a special occasion. Full throttle above 10k and my nipples stick out like hat pegs. And the NOISE (from the open pipe). It's a standard 2000 model (except for the pipe) but it carves lines like a very sharp carvy line thing. Nightmare in town and so easy to make a rock of getting off the line but, on the fast swoopy stuff it makes you feel like a God. I'm not sure if I'm faster on the Yam. It just feels like it. Guess I'll keep it for a little bit longer....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Think I need a new front tyre now

Some epic roads in Sardinia especially if you like tightening radius turns Trail braking mght explain the state of the front tyre.

Yesterday I opened the BMW throttle full and took it above 10k in 2nd and I think I lost a day when it went to warp factor 11. Feck it is mental up there
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

So you have a new bike then Al or is this one on loan?
==============================Enter the Darkside
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Nah!
You just need to find some left handers :wink:

Big Bro is picking up a K1300 next weekend, I might just have to have a little go and test his rev range :shh:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

changed the rear sprocket, cleaned the swingarm, stripped and cleaned and greased the bearings, cleaned and checked the wheel bearings, checked the cush drive rubbers, cleaned and checked the axle shaft, stripped and cleaned the rear brakes and calipers etc. Cleaned and adj the chain, washed all the shite off road test tomorrow.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

well its 0510 and I've just come back in! form a 0400 ride, i thought i can't chuffing sleep, the bikes done and needs a ride so a quick hr with the new sprocket on. and well I am impressed tbh. Ive done this mod before on almost everything I've had but it seems great on the CBF. I have always been impressed by this bikes drive from 2000 revs its creamy smooth and has no range just smooth drive up to the red line, not super powerful but enough, i don't see it being much slower than the Cb1000r tbh. However now its seems more urgent and does get ya there quicker. I don't tend to go over 120 ever these days, i always check the road and have a blast now and again, 1 tuns wonderful and easily done just on the bypass but i do like to hit it a bit higher sometimes for a buzz etc. yep the revs are up a bit at 85 but it an IL4 so the revs being higher make it easier to wind on.

i had a go on the mates Storm last week, and it felt great, but only for 18 miles and then the jiggly fingers bit started. i felt like id been grinding for 2 days. however the CBF still aint no looker. Its great sat on it but parked up they don't get a look in on the "handsome" stakes. bit like myself :lol:

Overall i love it apart from the "Exciting" bit. its a seriously easy bike to ride, surprises lots of people and i may have actually got it sorted now. Possibly a decent shock when this one gives up I've done 5000 miles already since having it this year. i think it will be my last bike if it stays reliable! feck I've suddenly got old and sensible. Out Sunday for a blast after moving 300 hay bales saturday. aaaargh.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

bigtwinthing wrote: however the CBF still aint no looker. Its great sat on it but parked up they don't get a look in on the "handsome" stakes. bit like myself
I know were your coming from Btw, but I also think it's an advantage when it comes to the p0lice looking for troublesome riders :D
bigtwinthing wrote:Overall i love it apart from the "Exciting" bit. its a seriously easy bike to ride, surprises lots of people and i may have actually got it sorted now. Possibly a decent shock when this one gives up I've done 5000 miles already since having it this year. i think it will be my last bike if it stays reliable! feck I've suddenly got old and sensible
I also feel the same way & as for excitement, I was lucky to have this forum to fall back on & with help'n advice was able to add another 20 odd bhp.

The bike now feels like the machine Honda should of built, but alas it still ain't no looker :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

agentpineapple wrote:
cybercarl wrote:Received a l/H switchgear (eBay) apparently of an F3 Storm and it does not have a headlight switch but a blanking plate. FFS this means my lights have to be permanently on wtf. There are times when I like to switch them off and let the charging system get a boost or I don't want to be seen. I'm going to have to remove the blanking plug and take the switch off my old unit and tap into the wiring now. What a faff instead of a simple swap. :(
I meant to tell you that when you told me you'd bought it, tbh they're very hard to find, i'd sell it on, you'd probably make a profit.
Too late I have already stripped all the gubbins out and swapped over the casing which was the part that was damaged on the old one. The only other part I could have swapped was the main beam flasher button as that is a bit lopsided in it's switchhousing so the switch when pressed goes in at a slight angle but I could not be arsesed getting the soldering iron out., but it works and I'm used to it. Fiddly little job it was getting all the bits out and rebuilding it all. What I also noticed that there is a pin missing from the later model wiring loom too, so it would not have been as simple as splicing into it to add the switch. All back on the bike and working now. I also put the fairing on and gave it a quick wash. The only thing left now is a rear disc and pads all round which I still need to get and it should be ready for an MOT. Got to get insurance first though (rip off) :cry: So Insurance, MOT and then Tax and I shall be back on the road. Shall have to wait and see how much I get paid at the end of the month first and then weigh up whether it's worth it or not considering how little I get any free time to be able to ride now. It may have to wait another month as I am also job hunting too so don't wont to be left skint.
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote:
The only thing left now is a rear disc and pads all round which I still need to get and it should be ready for an MOT. Got to get insurance first though (rip off) :cry: So Insurance, MOT and then Tax and I shall be back on the road. Shall have to wait and see how much I get paid at the end of the month first and then weigh up whether it's worth it or not considering how little I get any free time to be able to ride now. It may have to wait another month as I am also job hunting too so don't wont to be left skint.
You have PM... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Parked up Custard after adjusting & lubing the chain.

Drrip tray under, out with the sump plug, let it drain overnight...Fresh oil in the morning.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Took the KTM out for a thrash this morning. Noticed it didn't seem quite as sharp as normal, very slight misfire at times. Didn't seem extra noisy though....

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

bigtwinthing wrote:well its 0510 and I've just come back in! form a 0400 ride, i thought i can't chuffing sleep, the bikes done and needs a ride so a quick hr with the new sprocket on. and well I am impressed tbh. Ive done this mod before on almost everything I've had but it seems great on the CBF. I have always been impressed by this bikes drive from 2000 revs its creamy smooth and has no range just smooth drive up to the red line, not super powerful but enough, i don't see it being much slower than the Cb1000r tbh. However now its seems more urgent and does get ya there quicker. I don't tend to go over 120 ever these days, i always check the road and have a blast now and again, 1 tuns wonderful and easily done just on the bypass but i do like to hit it a bit higher sometimes for a buzz etc. yep the revs are up a bit at 85 but it an IL4 so the revs being higher make it easier to wind on.

i had a go on the mates Storm last week, and it felt great, but only for 18 miles and then the jiggly fingers bit started. i felt like id been grinding for 2 days. however the CBF still aint no looker. Its great sat on it but parked up they don't get a look in on the "handsome" stakes. bit like myself :lol:

Overall i love it apart from the "Exciting" bit. its a seriously easy bike to ride, surprises lots of people and i may have actually got it sorted now. Possibly a decent shock when this one gives up I've done 5000 miles already since having it this year. i think it will be my last bike if it stays reliable! feck I've suddenly got old and sensible. Out Sunday for a blast after moving 300 hay bales saturday. aaaargh.
Don't put the bike down, I have just come back from our Wales trip with the storms and I kept up with the faster riders and even after 6 odd hours and 288 miles, the guys on the storms were getting fatigued but i was able to put the hammer down and get a good pace.

I reckon I could have done another hour or so, where the others were absolutely shot, the storm you get out what you put in but you have to put effort in, the CBF doesn't require a massive amount of input so it doesn't fatigue you. I really enjoyed in.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Well spend all day cleaning the 850 miles worth of cr#p off the CBF, it was bloody filthy, those wales bugs are difficult to get off and the rear wheel looks silver again rather than the same colour as the tyre.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Put my plate on for the reg K70 MAV. Struggled to get the rhs standard can off so had a quick ride to Redhill then back in the garage. Looks like the standard cans are staying on, but I quite like them other than the weight.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Mav617 wrote:Put my plate on for the reg K70 MAV. Struggled to get the rhs standard can off so had a quick ride to Redhill then back in the garage. Looks like the standard cans are staying on, but I quite like them other than the weight.

de-baffle em :D