BLASTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General Biker Banter
droid

Post by droid »

Ah.
That makes me feel stacks better about jeans and an armoured fabric jacket.

Droid
EGG

Post by EGG »

nhr22259 wrote:Yeah but we all done it at one time if were honest.
NO never have never will. Saw what it did to others when i was young.
Better to burn out than just fade away!
droid

Post by droid »

Good
That way we avoid scrambled EGG :D :D :D

Sorry :oops:

Droid
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Oh dear... :lol:
droid

Post by droid »

And that was one of my better ones..... :roll:
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Just my two-penny worth (or 5 cents for the hoards of Australian listers clogging up our board :lol: )

At the end of the day it comes down to personal choice.

I HAVE ridden in shorts and t-shirt when I was in the States a good few years back. It was also without a helmet too, just sunglasses
I was SOOO careful doing everything; braking if there was a car at junctions, cornering like Kaz on her RSV :P (only teasing hun, how are the chicken strips coming along?) etc etc
Now who's to say that I was putting myself in more danger than when riding here in full gear where I fling it into corners, glare at other road users and generally ride a lot harder.
Sure IF I come off I'm much better to do it in full leathers and a helmet but simply because the consequences of coming off in shorts and shades were so dire I was much less likely to do so.

In France last year I was riding round in combats albeit with proper jacket, boots, gloves and helmet but that was simply for the comfort factor. It was boiling hot and I was only doing 40mph max the vast majority of the time. If you're that hot and uncomfortable it invariably affects your concentration and you're more likely to make a mistake

The ones who really get me are:
a) People who ride without gloves
b) 'Hardcore' bikers in their combats and nylon bomber jacket
c) People in shorts and T-shirts who still ride like twats
d) Cyclists. Just coz you've got no engine 40mph in lycra still stings!!

Anyway, enough of the sensible, reasoned discussion -back to Droid for some more crap puns :wink: :lol:

Ben
droid

Post by droid »

And you were doing so well until that last hurtful comment Ben :D

Seriously, you have made most of the points I would have. I find full leathers too much in the weather we've been having recently. I get hot and sweaty and lose concentration. Leathers don't do much if you wrap yourself round a lamp post.

I'd take issue with the cyclist one though. In a previous life i spent most of my weekends slogging up Peak District hills. Try it. It's hard without a motor. Full respect to these guys. And whats with the 40mph? In any respectable road race they are doing 60+ downhill. And 50 in the sprints!

Droid
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Dont even go there !!! Cyclist scum !!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
droid

Post by droid »

Not all of them
Just the yogurt weavers

Like the use of emoticons there Yella

Droid
plivesey

Post by plivesey »

A few years ago I saw somebody on a big old tourer going round the Robin Hood roundabout in Newbury wearing only shorts and a helmet.

No shoes or socks, gloves or shirt. Just shorts and a helmet. Wrong in so many ways.
French import, yellow 97 Firestorm. Written off by a french madman, rebuilt by an english idiot.
EGG

Post by EGG »

I saw them all again on Wednesday night at brands hatch. R1 riders tee shirt and shorts doing about 120 down the A20. Gives us all a back name. Tiny plates( i also have but you can read it fro more 1 yard away) going through speed camara's as fast as they can hot bikes me thinks. Cutting cars up being total nobheads.
:x
Better to burn out than just fade away!
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

The Australian attitude to full leathers seems to be a tad less stringent. I guess because of the weather. Most people will suit up for a big ride, but generally, jeans & jackets are the go. I guess about half wear gloves (unless it's cold, of course). Probably only about a third of regular riders would own leather pants.

In the middle of summer, though, you rarely even see a jacket. Our summer can sit around the high 30s. Not uncommon to be over 40 in the middle of the day. You've gotta watch where you put your stand down in case you come back to find your bike leaning at a rather precarious angle. I once borrowed my brother's trail-bike & came back to find the seat less than a foot from the bitumen... The stand was almost totally underground!
BazilD

Post by BazilD »

VTRGirl: No need for leathers in Aus, speed limit is so knaff, even the lycra boys come passed you on the 'highways' 8O

I got stopped yesterday for speeding! 'What was I doing officer' I asked, his reply: 'Dunno, did not have the gun on you, but know you were speeding!' Can you fugging believe that? I was cautioned! :roll:
BazilD
Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windscreen!
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

BazilD wrote:VTRGirl: No need for leathers in Aus, speed limit is so knaff, even the lycra boys come passed you on the 'highways' 8O
Gee, Bazil, don't know where you're riding. I rode home from Brisbane today sitting on a nice comfy 130 most of the way. Certainly no engineless fellas passing me! Although, I did see four bike cops & three cars whilst stopped at Blacksoil... Maybe the boys in blue had other things on their minds this arv.

Either way, good to hear from another Queenslander!
BazilD

Post by BazilD »

Good to hear from another Qlder too. I got pulled in Eagle Farm last week and usually travel the Gateway which is not the greatest of routes!

Gis a shout if you wanna go for blast one weekend!
BazilD
Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windscreen!