Starting trouble,

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
MacV2

Re: Starting trouble,

Post by MacV2 »

Ianasauras wrote:
MacV2 wrote:Check your petcock diaphragm...make sure it has no splits in it.

Also check the vac hose from the rear cylinder to the petcock, again make sure the pipe isn't split at the ends...If the vac isn't pulling fully it wont let the fule flow.

If you have the vac pipes set up for carb balance make sure the pipes are blocked off fully & not letting air in...

So exactly how do i go about checking those? Just visually looking for splits?

Im starting to think that the cheapish battery i bought may be a contributor. Its by a company called Unibat.
The vac pipes is simple just visual inspection, pull the pipe off & check for splits, the ends can become a bit stiff & crack just trim the pipe down,

Petcock diaphragm is a bit more tricky, can be done without removing it but you will need the tank empty, take off the tank prop it up so you can access the back of the petcock. 4 screws remove the back plate & you will see a rubber disc, visual check to look for splits or pin holes...You can take it right off & you can buy rebuild kits off e-bay...Honda dont sell them they want you to buy a compleate petcock ...!

This was off Steve Vanstubs bike, his would start ok but would cut out at speed...Changing this sorted the issue out.

The reason I mention it as a poss cause is I used to have a GT6, was a bugger to start, hot or cold.., but when running was fine, turned out it was carb diaphragms...again swapped them & sorted the prob.

Cant say its the cheap battery that is the issue as long as its chearged it sould be OK...Thats when you have to look at the charging system... But it sounds like from what you say its turning over just not starting which would point to fuel not the batt...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Ianasauras

Post by Ianasauras »

Did a quick visual on the fuel lines. A split in the overflow, but that wont make a difference. Everything else looks good. I reckon its the cheap batter not holding a charge. Might go for a 14ah or even the 18ah one. Possibly get rid of the chinese reg/rec for a Honda one.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Ianasauras wrote:Did a quick visual on the fuel lines. A split in the overflow, but that wont make a difference. Everything else looks good. I reckon its the cheap batter not holding a charge. Might go for a 14ah or even the 18ah one. Possibly get rid of the chinese reg/rec for a Honda one.
Fuel lines wont be the issue it's the vac pipe you need split free...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Before you get another battery use some jump leads on it. With the extra current if it starts then it IS the battery. If the extra current makes no difference look elsewhere.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I reckon its the cheap batter not holding a charge. Possibly get rid of the chinese reg/rec for a Honda one.
Wise move on both fronts. Keywords: Motobat and Mosfet
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Wire up a volt meter to the battery, try to start and look at the voltage drop. Just cause its showing a full charge doesn't mean it's any good under load, false information if leople are telling you it's fine. Do a load test to rule it out completely
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Ianasauras

Post by Ianasauras »

It starts perfectly with no problem once the battery has a full charge. Its just a pain charging it twice a week.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Ianasauras wrote:It starts perfectly with no problem once the battery has a full charge. Its just a pain charging it twice a week.

if it was mine... remove battery. check the connections.. take old battery and ,well fuk it over a hedge and replace.... :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Ianasauras wrote:It starts perfectly with no problem once the battery has a full charge. Its just a pain charging it twice a week.

It needs to hold a charge which it appears not to be doing so you charge it fully, check voltage drop on start-up, check the battery to make sure your charging circuit is working. Leave it 24hrs and do the same test, if your drop is a lot more than when its just off the charger I would say one of the cells is bad and you need a new battery.
Ianasauras

Post by Ianasauras »

Right, charged on Friday night. Left for 24hrs. Current readings are:

Ignition of - 13.07v
Ignition on - 12.9v and dropping about .01v per second.
Engine on -13.8v
5k revs - 14v

Charging again tonight cos I need it for the morning.
Really, I need to get the readings when it wont start to know whats going on.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

[quote="Ianasauras"]
Ignition on - 12.9v and dropping about .01v per second.
[quote]

This is the crucial bit. What's the voltage after a couple of minutes? If the voltage loss is linear then you've lost 1V after less than two minutes. The battery is fecked.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

get her changed..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Ianasauras

Post by Ianasauras »

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. So whats the consensus on batteries?

Go for the varadero taller one with the big amps?
Motobatt do one which has 14amps for resonable money?
Or a yuasa?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Ianasauras wrote:Thanks for all the help and suggestions. So whats the consensus on batteries?

Go for the varadero taller one with the big amps?
Motobatt do one which has 14amps for resonable money?
Or a yuasa?
i am using the motbatt one at the moment with no problems. its good to have the extra terminals to wire up any auxiliary connectors too.

I went for the standard fitment one, but it is a tight fit!
AMcQ
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Go for motobatt, I've used them on loads of different bikes and always been great, can leave for a couple of weeks and holding charge is still 13.08v. Yuasa are overrated, just had to replace one on my R1 with.... Yes you guessed it a motkbatt.

If your dropping. 1v per second then it's plainly obvious your battery is not holding a sufficient charge so most likely a cell is knackered.