Crankcase End Cap

Moderator: VTRDark

TheGingerBeardMan

Re: Crankcase End Cap

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Looking good, and love that drilled effect. Not so much arsed about weight saving, but they look pretty neat. :clap:

Hope you put anti-seize compound or Coppa Slip on them threads before fitting to save any future problems! :thumbup:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

There titanium, he won't have any trouble getting them off , it's keeping them on
TheGingerBeardMan

Ah. I see. So they don't bond over time then? And here was me thinking Titanium bling bits were just for strength, show, and weight saving! It's true what they say then: "Every day's a learning day!"

If they're gonna be tricky to keep on, does that mean they don't grip well in the threads? Would a drop of light locktite help? .... Or is it a theft thing with the human Magpies? :think:

gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

Ironically, if I remember correctly Titanium is very reactive and it oxidises in the atmosphere but happens amazingly fast... creates something like titanium oxide/dioxide or other variants. It is then this layer of oxidation, that is only microns thick, that then gives the titanium is resilience to the atmosphere or most aggressive substances there after. You can do other processes to help it be even more resistant if needed.

Doesn't prevent galling though and that is the biggest problem with titanium and if using Ti and Ti together they should really be coated in something like Titanium Nitride or something else to keep them slippy.

The only difference is you'll be able to give the allen key some sensible leverage before the Ti gives way unlike the cheesy originals.

I think it'd be the magpies giving most problems...
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I do use anti seize on them.
It just that there so well made some little oik with a tit fetish might have them away
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

lloydie wrote:I do use anti seize on them.
It just that there so well made some little oik with a tit fetish might have them away
agreed coppaslip/anti seize is still a good idea.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Ti being strong is a bit of a misconception (I think that's the word) too. Ti's beauty is in it's resistance to rust and it's weight, not so much strength. If you heat Ti up it gets to a point where it will melt like butter and like Magnesium can catch alight if not careful. Steel is so much more stronger than Ti. Try angle grinding it :biggrin

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

cybercarl wrote:Ti being strong is a bit of a misconception (I think that's the word) too. Ti's beauty is in it's resistance to rust and it's weight, not so much strength. If you heat Ti up it gets to a point where it will melt like butter and like Magnesium can catch alight if not careful. Steel is so much more stronger than Ti. Try angle grinding it :biggrin

(:-})
It is tough but not hard...
TheGingerBeardMan

gl_s_r wrote:It is tough but not hard...
Funnily enough, that's what I end up saying to the Doc on every "Mature Man" examination these days......

StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

breaking news...... end cap removed successfully without the need for a hammer and chisel !!!!!

i picked up a failed cct bike Saturday. it has been an all season bike .... 38K on the clock etc. etc.

to my surprise the thing came off with out using a chisel
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Use the long arm of the Allen key to undo them, that is, the short arm in the cap, but the short arm for doing them up, so you have little leverage and torque available.

No probs that way.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.