Nice, quiet motorbikles

General Bike chat
KermitLeFrog

Re: Nice, quiet motorbikles

Post by KermitLeFrog »

As MacV2 says, on an open road or a motorway like the M2 (know it well, old Gravesend lad here) I don't think noise helps very much. But, trickling through town I think it does. I use a blip of the throttle (straight through Harpoon cans) to get people's attention and it seems to work.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Pete.L wrote:You know he loves it :D

I SAID, YOU KNOW HE LOVES IT :lol:
Feck orf, ya heathen bastid, ya!!!! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

I've had my Storm heard at 4 kilometers out to sea by a mate in his fishing boat.
I was not riding away or towards him, but parallel to him.

The sound sure can carry from our bikes, i see it ALL the time on our rides, 5 to 7 Grand coming up on a car, sound bouncing off the rock walls.
I'd say 70% hear you coming (when travelling in the same direction) and of that 70%, only 20% have the brains to move over and let you pass.
3 out of 5 people are not the other 2.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

stealthbomber wrote:Well my storm and sp1 are both running yoshi cans and are pretty loud and for me, I love the noise of a booming twin. Not so fond of an inline 4 with an open can, followed a harley through the limehouse link in central london today and that was bloody loud, not my thing, neither was the Victory space cruiser thing with the city slicker on board, horses for courses!
keep ya revs down on the highway mate, you run the risk of waking me up!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i miss the sound of the Storm, but love the noise throttling off from 9000 rpm on the CB. I wear ear plugs so it can't be too noisy :lol: ( thats for wind noise though)
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

bigtwinthing wrote:I wear ear plugs (thats for wind noise though)
My god man, I'd see a Gastroenterologist about that.. :fart1: .
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Is that spelt right?
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

bigtwinthing wrote:Is that spelt right?
Erm, no, it wasn't. Sorry. It should have had a Capital G at the front...so: My God man. (There y'go!) :lol:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

:lol: :clap: :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

had a little ride today, only 25 mins each way thru London traffic, no earplugs on the way there, but I put them in for the return journey, and I have to say I prefer riding with them in. I even had a guy on an ST4 duc say how nice my bike sounded with the full exhaust system.. :thumbup:
I have to say earplugs it is for me, let everyone else hear my v-twin music at full blast, while I have a slightly muted sound track... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Is that spelt right?
If your Scottish it is. :lol:

Go deaf and then you have built in ear plugs. :thumbup: But back on the subject of nice quite bikes. I have now come to the conclusion that loud cans saves lives does not so much work anymore. With modern day technology vehicle soundproofing is so much better. Not only that but people have their eyes on more surrounding traffic/congestion/sat navs :roll: and also keeping an eye out for speed cameras etc. So basically the cagers attention is elsewhere. Some are very much aware of bikes approaching/filtering/overtaking etc but these are becoming more rare. I would class these folks as also being bikers/ex bikers or generally just bloody good drivers that use their mirrors and are very much aware of their surroundings.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

the track i use to do my track days on the guy that runs it has told me outa all the bikes that he has seen firestorms fail the noise tests more than any other bike lol....result :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

fabiostar wrote:the track i use to do my track days on the guy that runs it has told me outa all the bikes that he has seen firestorms fail the noise tests more than any other bike lol....result :thumbup:

love it :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
that's what makes me keep it
and then just before passing someone hit the kill switch and :Gun3:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:biggrin :lol: :lol: :lol: and set of as many car alarms as you possibly can.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Depends what bike.

The Harley wouldnt be the same without the loud pipes, its not loud so much but a really nice bass like sound.

The Honda X11 would be ok with loud pipe, its not really a bike that you would scream.

Something like a sports 600 or even there bigger brothers would really irritate me.