Knees don't like the Storm

General Bike chat
tony.mon

Re: Knees don't like the Storm

Post by tony.mon »

Definitely worth a try before you think about selling.
Unfortunately you can't move the controls- brake lever, gear change lever etc, but if these work and make the bike comfortable, then it's worth getting some proper rearsets.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Troutman wrote:found these on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR1000 ... 0902396015?

Anyone tried fitting them, I have just been to look at my pegs and there is not much clearance downwards because of the link pipe.
Going back a bit I know, but another member (Mender) fitted the same type of foot pegs shown in your link, although made by another manufacturer. Have a look at this link for more on this:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18004

Chris.
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

geodude wrote:The Tuono is exactly what you need. It's only mental if you want it ti be ;)

At least give one a go :)
Do it, do it, do it! You won't regret a tuono. I'm the proud owner of this mans old tuono, amazing thing it is. Though it is now becoming a RSV track bike which will still be being used on the road :o the gen1s have a little less power than the later ones and can be picked up for under 3k with full ohlins, brembo and OZ fitted :shock:
adyf

Post by adyf »

Yeah like geo says throttle goes both ways just a shame he can't always remember which way lol.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I use loads of paracetamol and had to get new leathers made with more room in the knee area so there was no pressure on the knee caps. Also fitted Gilles rear sets which allow me to go lower and further back than std.

Now no problem with old damaged knees :beer:
AMcQ
darkember

Post by darkember »

Definitely do the pegs and if you raised the bars all the pain will go :thumbup: :thumbup:
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Lots and lots of great advice..thanks, I'll do my best to keep the VTR and let you know how I get on.
Last edited by Troutman on Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macdee

Post by macdee »

you could try a 6mm spacer on the rear shock ,it will help steering and raise the rear and its cheap
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

macdee wrote:you could try a 6mm spacer on the rear shock ,it will help steering and raise the rear and its cheap
But will that create a greater distance between pegs and seat? I'm not sure?
budd

Post by budd »

I've been riding with a badly damaged left knee for the best part of 20 yrs I bought my first VTR new in '98 without knowing I'd even be able to ride it the flexion on my left leg was so bad. Within a couple of hours of it been delivered I'd managed to make it rideable by moving the year change forwards around 6" using a kx80 gear lever and a alloy plate with a bolt on it as a foot rest, for sure it took some getting used to and ground clearance was always a problem but it allowed me to ride. After I had my knee replaced the movement in my leg improved a bit but still not enough to ride the storm unmodified, the vtr despite its length is quite low and not very roomy, but I managed to get by, I think if you like the bike it's worth trying to make it more comfortable and I don't think it would be to difficult to create a little more room using some or all of the suggestions listed in pervious posts. If you do decide on replacing the bike then I can also recommend an aprilia , I want for the RSV rather than the tourno and so far I'm delighted with it, very different to the Honda but I was looking for a change so this is exactly what I wanted.
Last edited by budd on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Troutman wrote:
macdee wrote:you could try a 6mm spacer on the rear shock ,it will help steering and raise the rear and its cheap
But will that create a greater distance between pegs and seat? I'm not sure?
No the spacer won't change the relationship between seat and pegs as both are attached to the frame
AMcQ
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

So I have been going mental and spending way too much time looking over old threads etc on how to make the Firestorm more comfortable or whether to get a different bike that is already comfortable.
I have used this site an awful lot, how accurate it is I don't know but it's a very good reference point.
http://www.cycle-ergo.com
Iv'e done the Monster, Tuono , Tiger, Speed Triple, ST4s
Isn't it amazing how you can find a bike that appears perfect and then you listen to someone on youtube absolutely demolish it on some front or other..The Aprillia Tuono 1000 Gen2 is top of my list but I saw someone doing a wheelie on it at 120mph (youtube) and thought it would be fun but for how long!!
So I think I might try and sort the Firestorm out with lowered pegs (1") and some flat bars as I like the bike immensely and mine is mint and it cost me feck all.

My question is, if I use the Firestorm top yoke and drill it for risers etc, how do you line up the risers on the yoke in the correct place and mark them for drilling the yoke?
I think I can manage everything else just fine. I might buy one of the aftermarket yoke's on German ebay if it all looks a bit of a faff.
C'mon England tonight in Cardiff
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

drilling the yoke and making sure they are aligned takes a bit of old fashioned craftsman skill [and a good drill press] so if you don't have access to them it will be less stress to buy a yoke conversion.

its is well worth the effort as the change transforms the bike [in my view]
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

also have a look in one of my workshop threads which shows what I did to fit flat bars on mine

here it is

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... +front+end
AMcQ
bsabloke

Post by bsabloke »

I fitted fazer angled clamps to a vtr standard top yolk. These clamps let the bars run behind the fork tops. I used renthal ultra low bars. I wasn't happy with the look so sold bits. It needed a fairing trim, longer hoses & maybe throttle cable. Still in standard trim now.
Used codura suit for last long trip. Comfort good & now have different leathers equally as comfortable.
You will be surprised how much of a difference it makes :thumbup: