Just a hello

General Biker Banter
StormingHonda

Re: Just a hello

Post by StormingHonda »

What an awesome looking looking bike, I've had quite a few Jap cruisers and they are pretty good, the problem is I have owned two Harley's as well, and to be honest all of the Jap cruisers couldn't touch the Harley's in respect of enjoyment of ownership and the sound and feeling of riding a Harley.

So I would admire your machine, but push comes to shove I'd only buy a Harley when it comes to cruisers.
Vtrf3v3r

Post by Vtrf3v3r »

StormingHonda wrote:What an awesome looking looking bike, I've had quite a few Jap cruisers and they are pretty good, the problem is I have owned two Harley's as well, and to be honest all of the Jap cruisers couldn't touch the Harley's in respect of enjoyment of ownership and the sound and feeling of riding a Harley.

So I would admire your machine, but push comes to shove I'd only buy a Harley when it comes to cruisers.
I can respect that and I had a few Harley's that I was pushing around. At the end of the day though I looked around and saw that everyone had a Harley. I live in a ville of 40,000 and still have not seen the same bike as mine. That's what i consider pride of ownership. The other reason why I am glad I didn't go that direction was (and I am not saying this is you) there are too many snobby, Harley owners that I have had to let smell my rubber since they couldn't stop talking sh!t. Like last week when I pulled up to a light and a V-Rod came up next to me and said that's one of those silly Jap things isn't it? Ignorant people kill me considering I'm pushing out 90 hp to the wheel and over 100 lbs of torque. He learned his lesson especially since he challenged me to a quarter. He just couldn't keep up. That is so satisfying. Like I said there are a lot of solid Harley owners out there but I can surround myself with people that want to act like that . A motorcycle is a motorcycle whether its a cruiser, sport bike, touring whatever. If you are on two wheels you are good in my book. When you look at Harley's and this is my opinion. But no mater what you do to a Harley it still looks like a Harley and they want to brand their name like that. With mine it turns heads everywhere I go and everyone is always asking me about it. That is what drives my yami purchase. That and there is only 500 bikes like mine in the world. Exclusivity as well. Thanks for your comment though. Opens up good discussion.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I understand where your coming from I used to get really pissed off with other Harley owners, most of them buy the bikes purely because of the image, you hear the same story over and over again, turn 50 buy a Harley, buy all the clothes to make them look like an outlaw biker, they think they are a cut above other riders, where in reality they cant ride for toffee know nothing mechanically about their bikes, go to bike rallies and stay in the local B&B or Hotel. Another thing that used to make me chuckle was this " beginner " bike mentality with sportsters, and them not being a real Harley, because they are an entry bike, or a girls bike, absolute idiots.

When I had my Sportster and Fireblade I used to roll my eyes at a lot of the Harley owners, I have the Lakeside Harley dealer down the road from me, if I was on my Sportster I would get waves and smiles from Harley riders going the other way, if I was on my Fireblade they would ignore me, in the end I ignored them regardless of what bike I rode.

I swapped my FXDL for a Honda X 11 plus cash my way, and you know what I love the X 11 and would do it again, I know the X 11 isn't worth a lot, its the same situation with the VTR1000 not worth a lot but a bit of a cult bike, but with the X 11 a lot of people haven't seen one or was aware they even existed, so I do get a lot of people look at it and either say " I've seen an X 11 in the flesh " or " what the hell is this!!!, did you make it?". Which is nice in a way, personally I think as less X 11's on the road later on this may end up being a collectors bike.

As for me owning a Harley, some point in the future I want to get a Nightster or a V rod, probably money will say Nighster, I have always loved the engines on Harley Davidson's and the ride on them, Jap cruisers have always felt sedated to me because they are built to be the better bike in respects of comfort and usage, where as Harleys to me have always felt distinct, not perfect but distinct, partly because they do adhere to old technology, they just have those rough edges you can appreciate or hate.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

My mate has a Yam Warrior and thats a decent looking bike and like you have said, The Harley "New Forest Branch" don't speak to him?
I still go there at Dockgate 20 on the Storm for Brekkie and make some decent noise! Pop a little wheelie when leaving!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Vtrf3v3r

Post by Vtrf3v3r »

bigtwinthing wrote:My mate has a Yam Warrior and thats a decent looking bike and like you have said, The Harley "New Forest Branch" don't speak to him?
I still go there at Dockgate 20 on the Storm for Brekkie and make some decent noise! Pop a little wheelie when leaving!
The way I look at it, the Harley Heads can think what they want because at the end of the day.... Anyone who rides a metric knows the truth.