my girlfriend just found this on our porch...

General Biker Banter
Furrybiker

Re: my girlfriend just found this on our porch...

Post by Furrybiker »

My pipes are known to some on this and other forums as weapons of mass headaches :p

My neighbours are fine, I go out of my way to talk to them, help carry heavy things to the house, admire the cat, whatever.

When I go on a ride out at silly o'clock on a Sunday morning I dont get any problems.

Or maybe they are all just very deaf or think that having a bike makes me some kind of Hells Angel :Shrug:

Seriously, I have done this at various places I have lived at and it seems to work, the worst I have had is a little old lady telling me I had too many cars (4). :whatever
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

My neighbours didn't mind at all and were complimentary on the turnout probably cos it was between 9-5pm on a Saturday. Anything outside those hours in a residential area esp unbaffled I'm not surprised one of your neighbours has politely made you aware to turn it down.

Roll on Jamie's!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
2wheelsagain

Post by 2wheelsagain »

My neighbours ask me to start my bike :thumbup:
My girlfriend complains when I leave for work early :thumbdown:
Something is screwed up with that 8O

I do try to be quiet and not start before 9am on weekends and not run the Storm after 8:30pm There's probably no issue with the Bandit but I have a life too :crazy:

Now that note was written by a right handed woman on hormone replacement therapy probably about mid 50's :wink:
It may only be my opinion but it's mine!

~ My Bikes 2014 VFR1200F & 2000 VTR1000F ~
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

honestly im not a jerk (my girlfriend may say different) but im always considerate of others when it comes to my beautiful exhaust note. i never thought people were sleeping at 8 O'clock. but the best i can do is try to be mindful of them. but for instance i HAD to replace my coolant for the track day tomorow. i didnt have any other time to do it. so even if it bothered them, i had no choice. its not like i dont care. i think what bugs me is the way my neighbors are. little police all of them. one of my neighbors had to rip out a bunch of plants she just put in because someone complained to the home owners association that they didnt match everyone else's landscape. the HOA then gave her a list of "pre-approved plants" she could plant.
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Quite a nice letter... have had much worse over past years lol Live in a semi and I have had a horrible neighbour for years up until about 18 months ago. Old neighbour has complained about almost everything possible and made up some crap to go with it.. have had to deal with police and council way too many times. As it is... noise does travel through the wall... have found that out with a vengeance recently while house next door was being renovated but nothing I can do about it really though, just bad designs in place. I certainly don't go out of my way to upset anyone and it didn't help that I had a neighbour that wasn't even reasonable enough to talk too. Things were just blown out of all proportion. As for now... house has just sold after being empty for 18 months so waiting on new neighbours moving in.... fingers crossed I won't have another pain in my ass who doesn't like kids, dogs, cars, bikes, music or me.... waiting to see if I get complaints when I take out or bring in my bike... bare in mind that I bring it in the front door and straight up the hallway to my kitchen, if the new folk are nice then maybe I will start by dropping in the db killers just before I get home.

Does sound like you have some stuck up miserable folk around you though..... the note on the car within 24hrs asking for it to be moved... that would make my blood boil! Childish it maybe but if that happened to me i'd take the car out for a bit and stick it back there for 24hrs just to pee them off lol
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

just found out in my city that im within my rights to make whatever noise i want between 7am and 9pm. suck it neighbors. not like i want to bug them. i just want them to bugger off and mind their own. i never go out of my way to make noise, nor do i even make much noise whenever i do. no loud parties. no yelling or music. just a bike that i come to and from places on, and idle every once in a while. i even ride off as soon as a start the bike in the morning so i dont wake people up
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

My neighbours know what I'm like working on bikes and I don't take the piss .
It helps having 6 other bikers in the close tho :-)
Virt

Post by Virt »

Feel so sorry for Lloydie's neighbours, I really do :lol:

I try to be considerate with my neighbours, all except the guy downstairs (live in a flat) hate my bike and the noise it makes though. The guy downstairs just encourages me to make it louder :D

But if it's late/early I usually push the bike in/out so that it's on the road when I start it, otherwise the sound reverberates within the complex and it gets ridiculously loud.. I've had complaints too, but if you're doing it out of need rather than want AND you're not breaking any laws, wombles 'em. Kindly point them to page where it says you're not breaking any law, and leave it at that. If they take it further, call the police and file harassment :wink: :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

2wheelsagain wrote:My neighbours ask me to start my bike :thumbup:
My girlfriend complains when I leave for work early :thumbdown:
Something is screwed up with that 8O

I do try to be quiet and not start before 9am on weekends and not run the Storm after 8:30pm There's probably no issue with the Bandit but I have a life too :crazy:

Now that note was written by a right handed woman on hormone replacement therapy probably about mid 50's :wink:

my wives just read that, she is in her mid fifties but not on hormone replacement therapy and she wasn't impressed at all, its ok upsetting ya neighbours buy don't upset hormonal mid 50 yr old women please. She did mention matches and petrol!!! and she used to be a biker
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

move to the country.cows get milked at 5.00am and tractors are running arount till the early hours most of the summer in a lot of villages.its the people who move out of town who suddenly start complaining after they move in. :crazy:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

In the UK if you took it further by asking someone like the Police what your rights are, you would almost certain be the one to lose out. You would probably be done for disturbing the piece. Perhaps it's different in your country?
bigtwinthing wrote:Thats polite really, my cans are bloody loud so i don't do any running until after 9am on a weekend and not after 9pm, if i go out early and i normally do, i push it down the road a bit. i don't want the cops alerted. Having awkward neighbours aint nice.
I fully agree, getting on with your neighbours is your best option.

A very long time ago I had a little Suzuki TS100ERZ trail bike, just a cheap to run bike for work. A six minute ride and I was in work. The two stroke exhaust had been tweaked by the previous owner (my brother :wink: ) and it was nosier than standard. I used to leave for work at 7.10am back then so that bike must have been heard by the close neighbours that backed on to my garage.

The young woman who lived directly opposite my garage spoke to me in the week, saying what was wrong, had my bike broken down. She was late for work on the Monday. She said she could have set her clock by me by my leaving time for work time, with it being so regular. She used to rely on me starting up my bike up as her time to get up :lol:

I was on holiday that week :)

Chris.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Sounds to me as though you are living in a prison, approved plants, whatever next.
A friend lives in a "conservation area" he was told that he was not allowed to have plastic gutters, only cast iron. His response was "see you in court!" Unsurprisingly he has heard nothing.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Just do a rolling burnout down the road about 10pm

When the neighbours complain, just simply reply " I am considerate, and what I just done was really out of order and inconsiderate!, now you know the difference maybe you can agree that a little noise isn't as bad as a anti social A$$hole, the choice is yours ".

;).
Beleif

Post by Beleif »

I told my neighbours I play the bagpipes and didn't want to disturb anyone. A few weeks later my wife got a complaint - that they hadn't heard me playing yet and were looking forward to it.

Both sides are complimentary about the vtr too.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

i am so lucky. Only 2 houses on my post code. I have run my bike without cans on several occasions. However, the civilization is a few miles off too

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/Stuar ... sort=3&o=0