squealing front brakes

General Bike chat
Penfold

Re: squealing front brakes

Post by Penfold »

I've discovered the cause of mine.

The right hand caliper isn't sitting correctly. It's either the caliper is bent or the fork lugs are bent as it sits twisted over. A quick look at the old pads shows that they are worn at an angle. The new pads were only touching at the top on one side and the bottom on the other, confirmed by the wear marks on them, so they've seriously overheated and glazed over.

There's something not right with the whole front end though as the more I look at it the more it looks twisted. The right disc sits a lot closer to the fork than the left disc and further inspection shows the left disc sitting perfectly in the middle of the caliper where as the right disc is almost touching the right hand inner edge of the caliper.

Time for a new front end I think :sad2
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

thats not good buddy, at least you've spotted it. time for an uprated fireblade front end..... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Make sure that you have the wheel spacers the right way around first. You may also want to disconnect the callipers and loosen all the bolts except for the top yoke bolts that hold the forks in place. Push down a couple of times to compress the forks which naturally straighten everything out to where it should be positioned. Then tighten all the bolts back up, put the callipers back on and tighten up and do the pinch bolts last. See if that makes a difference. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Penfold wrote:I've discovered the cause of mine.

The right hand caliper isn't sitting correctly. It's either the caliper is bent or the fork lugs are bent as it sits twisted over. A quick look at the old pads shows that they are worn at an angle. The new pads were only touching at the top on one side and the bottom on the other, confirmed by the wear marks on them, so they've seriously overheated and glazed over.

There's something not right with the whole front end though as the more I look at it the more it looks twisted. The right disc sits a lot closer to the fork than the left disc and further inspection shows the left disc sitting perfectly in the middle of the caliper where as the right disc is almost touching the right hand inner edge of the caliper.

Time for a new front end I think :sad2
Spacers......
But let's hope you haven't ruined a stanchion (or both) by pulling them over at an angle for a while.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Penfold

Post by Penfold »

Spacers are in the right sides.

It's definitely the right fork lower caliper mounts that are bent. It's like the face that the allen bolts seat onto have twisted. The caliper sits in the right place right up until I nip up the bolts at which point the caliper then twists. The aluminium of the fork lower seems very soft so it's either been damaged when it got knocked off it's stand by some blind idiot in a car park and landed on the right side bending the lugs or maybe the bolts weren't torqued up to the correct settings and it's bent slowly over time.

Either way i now need a replacement right fork lower :sad2

P.S. sorry for hijacking the thread. Seemed silly to start a new one for the same problem.
skyman

Post by skyman »

A BIG THANK YOU just one word to say BOBBINS after stripping things, copper slip to cobble dogs with ,finaly found the problem disc bobbins!!!!!!
tried the bolt trick to get them to turn but because of the small diametre the tthreads stripped before the bobbin turned :( so just put a bar of the right size into the centre off the bobbin and flexed it up down side to side to make sure there is flex :thumbup: silent brakes heaven
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Excellent you now have floating disks ans silent brakes.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I need to rotate mine ! I keep meaning to but never get round to it :-)