riding in france

General Bike chat
VTRDark

Re: riding in france

Post by VTRDark »

Ziggy your post makes me want to emigrate to the south of France. If only I was rich :roll: Great write up and nice pics. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

great replies lads, lots for me to think about

the ferry to bilbao is something I would really like to do, but its nearly 400 quid, when dover-calais is 45 quid it swings it a little, even though I would LOVE to ride to Barcelona

also the fact we only have a week is something to consider, I don't want to ride for 3 days to simply turn around, riding say 5 hours max for first two days, nt including getting to dover, then spend a couple of days somewhere then return would be the ideal kinda thing
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Pete.L wrote:Nepoleon trail....what a day! :thumbup:

Don't forget to take a reflective jacket,spare set of bulbs,a warning triangle and I think you might also need to carry a personal breathalyser.

Pete.l
You don't need a reflective jacket - they have shelved the plans for that. Nor do you need a reflective triangle for a bike. You do need 2 x personal breathalysers this year though and the bulbs, plus your driving licence etc.

I have ridden to The Alps, done the Route Napoleon and the Pyrenees (doing them again this year - better than the Alps I think). If time is limited, you can ride quite easily down to the Normandy landing beaches in a day ( I did a couple of years ago) and the roads are a bit more interesting there plus there is a lot to see.

Have to agree about the roads in northern France though - long straight and boring and best got through asap, unless you just like France anyway and want to keep stopping at points of interest.

The Chunnel saves a lot of time and I use it now rather than the ferry. That said, we will come back from The Pyrenees from Santander-Portsmouth. After 10 days riding the thought of going all the way back through France is a bit much!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

they have relaxed the law on personnel breatherlizers too...
But you will need both parts of your licence, log book, insurance cert and MOT cert. along with breakdown and travel insurance. best to be safe than sorry.
Check you insurance policy for cover in Europe, make sure that you are covered and also how long they allow pr trip. Carole Nash are good with this, 90 days per trip with full breakdown cover on any aged bike as long as it is MOT'd. If you do need to get travel insurance, make sure they cover motorcycles as some only cover up to 125s.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Depends what sort of a holiday you're after, but turn left in France and you're in Belgium in under an hour, that's three countries in five hours including the ferry crossing.
Germany, Austria are a easy stretch from there and you're into good roads and mountains.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Another thing regarding the crossing options.

Chunnel is quicker...but.....No fuel immediately this side, so you'll automatically want to fill up as soon as you get off, not a problem, except so does half the train, and you get off last, so your waiting for the pumps. Then while your there, you fancy a piss, a coffee etc. It turns into half hour, unless your on your own. Then because you havent really had breakfast, you'll be stopping sooner for food. Adds more time to your ride.

Ferry....Petrol within half a mile of getting on, so your juiced up as you roll off the other side. Plus you can have a breakfast on the boat, more time saved, and a fag or 3 if you smoke.

Plus the ferry is normally cheaper, by the cost of a tank of fuel in a lot of cases, so.....

Basically you think the chunnel is an hour quicker, but in the real world, theres not much in it.

Worth considering.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Also, on the ferry, you can wander about, buy cheap aftershave to de-smell your boots with, get some food, chill a bit, even snooze.
On the train you just have to sit there; can't do anything except use the toilet. And frankly, on the train the scenery's crap.
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

cheers lee I didn't think about it like that ferry is 45 quid, tunnel is 49, so not much difference

Ive been lookin at these eurocamp places, they're cheap as chips for what they are and I think they make good base stations for travelling in the local area
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Get a family tent and you can take the bike inside and keep an eye on it.
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

callam_nffc wrote:cheers lee I didn't think about it like that ferry is 45 quid, tunnel is 49, so not much difference

Ive been lookin at these eurocamp places, they're cheap as chips for what they are and I think they make good base stations for travelling in the local area
In this case yep, the cost is diff is negligable, but we've paid £75 a bike before. Its one of those personal choice things, and I can see the pluses for both. If the weathers nice, I enjoy the boat. Cant tell that when your booking it though, unfortunately.
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

tony.mon wrote:Get a family tent and you can take the bike inside and keep an eye on it.
the eurocamp places are a bit like centerparcs mate, would like to camp but its unpredictable and such a ball ache when two up, plus its not much more to stay in eurocamp :)
darkember

Post by darkember »

Do remember on Sundays France usually shuts down & that will include the gas stations. Used to live there as a kid
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

darkember wrote:Do remember on Sundays France usually shuts down & that will include the gas stations. Used to live there as a kid
A lot of the pumps are now card operated nowadays. Not sure if that gets over the Sunday issue though.
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

leevtr wrote:
A lot of the pumps are now card operated nowadays. Not sure if that gets over the Sunday issue though.
Yes this does help but only if the card readers are working. had an issue when over there last year. nearly ran out of fuel just trying to find a garage that was open or took cards.
Another point regarding shopping. There are many regions in France where the shops are closed on Mondays too.
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

firestorm1997 wrote:
leevtr wrote:
Yes this does help but only if the card readers are working. had an issue when over there last year. nearly ran out of fuel just trying to find a garage that was open or took cards.
Another point regarding shopping. There are many regions in France where the shops are closed on Mondays too.
Tbh, an enforced day off the bike can sometimes be a good thing. Get drunk Sat night, lazy day sunday recovering. Breaks the trip. Get the chance to give the bikes a once over to.