engine swap & Flat bar conversion

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
lloydie

Re: Lost the front end!

Post by lloydie »

bigspanishmarty wrote:good work al, give it a good clean whilst your at it, and don't forget to do the same to the bike..... :lol:
It is crimbo after all and you both (al and the bike) are starting to stink !! With a stool just left on the garage floor !!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You're supposed to dump the clutch, not the other way round......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

That's enough of that kind of talk. I won't stand for anymore of this toilet based humour, no more dump, stools or such like on this holiest of days, you blaspheming b*stards. Have you no respect for the baby Steve6088!!!!!! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
edds11

Post by edds11 »

All praise Steve6088, the coming of the (gay) Lord is among us.....sounds SO wrong...seasons best to you all, I shall be having an early bath tonight bearing in the the 5 year old came through all excited at 3:30AM..... :eh:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote:
lloydiecbr wrote:Nice stool :-) and good progress .
Did you loosen the swing arm bolt before engine removal ?
Easy on the stool comments there Lloydie, lol
:clap: :lol:

Chris.
geodude

Post by geodude »

b8stard! That is all!
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Phimosis

Post by Phimosis »

Impressed... :thumbup:
She told me she was 16.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Phimosis wrote:Impressed... :thumbup:
Save that till we see if it all goes back together again and I don't have lots of spare bits :lol:
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Re: engine swap

Post by AMCQ46 »

you can see i have changed the title now so you dont get stressed thinking that i had lost the front end in a crash. it will now be a bit of a "how to" for doing an engine swap.

so far so good. Frame is removed and doing it with the forks and front wheel still on looks to work well and saves lots of extra work stripping things down. the siezed engine mounting adjuster is out, and the new one is in the post some where.

The swapping of parts from one engine to the other is mostly done now, as I moved the cutch across from current engine to the new one as i know it wasnt grabbing (it was originally the clutch out of the spare engine anyway so it is coming home!) but i used the other clutch plates as i was getting clutch slip when i popped the clutch for wheelies and that was pissing me off.

this is my patented method for removing the clutch center nut....takes no effort and you dont risk knocking the engine over when it is not in the frame. all the force is generated by the ratchet strap and it pulls the socket bar towards the clutch holding tool and hey presto the nut comes undone. :thumbup:

so just a few more pipes and breathers to go, then the swingarm...then i am waiting for the postman to deliver the frame nut and then reassembly can begin

Last edited by AMCQ46 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Good work clearing all that space in your garage !

The new engine looks nice and clean .
Keep up the good work
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Another AMCQ46 patented method for making it much easier to single handedly manoeuvre the great big V2 lump round your garage.....fit it with a handle :D

Using....you guessed it, a ratchet tie down strap :lol:

AMcQ
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Cor, I don't know Al, you and your handbags!! I thought the mini convertible was bad enough. :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bluestoesonnose

Post by bluestoesonnose »

Oh come on, that's a man bag if I ever saw one
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

He wares a skirt too :sick:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Well the adjuster bolt arrived from lings today, so copaslip all over this and the other 2 adjuster and then the frame was popped over the engine.

With the front wheel fitted and the steering damper up to full it turns out it is fairly easy to move the frame into place and lower it into the correct place. At the last minute I had to turn the steering onto full lock so I could pull the frame as far back as needed to get the back mounting bolts over the back rocker cover, but it took less than a minute and with all the weight on the front wheel it was easy to do all the fine adjustments single handed. :thumbup:

So the frame is on, the adjusters all set and torqued up in the correct order, swingarm and rear wheel is on and all the pipe work in the v is back in the correct place (thank god I took lots of photos). Carbs and airbox on, chain and sprocket torqued up and clutch bled to getting working again.

Just got the rads to refit, fill with coolant, new oil into engine and pop the tank on.......then the moment of truth to see if it fires up :o
AMcQ