anyone fancy joining me in giving up smoking??

General Biker Banter
gilson

Re: anyone fancy joining me in giving up smoking??

Post by gilson »

Keep it up, I've never been a smoker (tried it but didn't see the point, didn't even make you high!).

I'm surprised at the number of bikers that smoke, maybe it goes with the 'risk' attitude or possibly the "it won't happen to me" thinking.

For me, the most amazing thing is how smokers can ignore the fact that it really makes you stink. When my colleague returns to the office (even a few desks down), with a fresh spray of perfume and a chewing gum I can still smell her before she sits down. I actively avoid speaking directly to her. I'm not even going to mention the breath on my other mate... good God.. both are blissfully unaware....

Your grandson will not only appreciate you smelling sweetly, he'll also enjoy being with you and getting those sloppy kisses that all grandmothers give:-)

Besides, the poor sod has been through enough. He's proven he's a fighter, a gift and therefore a joy to love. You don't want anything to change that or give him any further problems, (there's evidence that people with COPD (caused by smoking) produces blood "markers" that can adversely affect other parts of the body, heart, brain, kidneys etc. With a (potentially) inefficient heart you surely don't want him even getting a whiff of a carcinogen that could lower his %O2 staturation, however slight.

Good luck Kaz, keep us updated on your progress...... :clap: :clap:
No bike (yet).
steveb

Post by steveb »

Welcome to the world of the non smoker...............that's what you are now.

No need to worry about smelling, the money spent, your health etc because you don't smoke, you are now a non smoker.

Well done Kaz
Happy ridin'
-------------------------------------------------
98 Honda Firestorm in black for tarmac grin's
98 Yamaha WR250z for green lane grin's
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Well Done Kaz, It's nearly a week off the dreaded weed(fags not the funny stuff :plainsmile ) It's nice to now your doing really well , definately going to be worth it, not just for you but the whole family. I'm doing OK too, cut back
on the wrong kind of foodstuff, but a little voice in my head keeps whispering
Mmmm chocolate........"Get thee behind me Cadbury" :D although i don't feel
like I've lost anything , I don't feel like I've gained either,but I will keep it up
It's(early days)......
Keep it up :thumbup:
Regards ChrisC
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

ChrisC wrote:Well Done Kaz, It's nearly a week off the dreaded weed(fags not the funny stuff :plainsmile )
No, Chris, funny stuff's ok, because otherwise they'd put a health warning on it.
:wink:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

The fact you managed to have a drink and still dindnt smoke is a really good sign. If you really must give up the booze wait until the fags are well and truly behind you.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Totally agree with beemish, thats the way forward, me i'm goin out for a stroll with my missus (hand in hand) lovey dovey.......not. In reality she's proping me up, cos I still have a bad ankle! :whatever

Have a nice fag free day....ChrisC
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Funny how you mention the smell about smokers.
As I was a smoker and had been for such a long time, I had forgotten about it completely. I guess I had stunk like that for soo long I thought it was normal. :?
We still have a couple of people in work who smoke and when they come back in after a quick fag they really stink, I asked one of my colleagues if I used to come in smelling that bad and I was really shocked when they said yes.
Now I'm just glad that I've cracked it, don't get me wrong, I still get urges, but at least it's me in control of those urges and not the nicotine, It makes saying no that much more pleasurable :thumbup: and I'm not so smelly :D
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

:clap: well done, its been nearly 50mins since my last smoke! :biggrin
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Well done Kaz in cracking the first week :thumbup:

I agree with Jim (Beamish) if you can have a drink without smoking that's a good sign, it must mean you're determined to give up.

Chris.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

VTR1000KAZ wrote:
marravtr wrote::clap: well done, its been nearly 50mins since my last smoke! :biggrin

well you smell !!!!!! :p :lol: :lol:
am i bovered :Show elbow: :lol: :lol: , but good on you i know how hard it is, tried a couple of times! once i did 6 months but back on em again :roll:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

:clap: :clap: :clap: It gets easier and easier and one day it will dawn on you that you haven't thought about having a ciggie all day!
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
steveb

Post by steveb »

VTR1000KAZ wrote:just to keep you guys up to date.. i'm still going strong.. no cigs for almost 2 weeks now ! :thumbup:
Well done Kaz, rapidly approaching that next milestone - 3 weeks.

Hope your enjoying your new life as a non smoker :D
Happy ridin'
98 Honda Firestorm in black for tarmac grin's
98 Yamaha WR250z for green lane grin's
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
keep going Girl :clap:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Well Done Kaz, It's great your doing so well ,I still have cravings for chocolatey type stuff, but have kept it up(mostly)to be honest have slipped
twice,once without realising but still not lost any weight.problem is still have bad ankle so exercise is limited. The other problem is i've been eating more friut and veg and i think it's making me smelley :oops: ...Do you think i should
take up smoking to try and hide the pong!
I'm doin my best :whatever
Regards ChrisC
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

ChrisC wrote: The other problem is i've been eating more friut and veg and i think it's making me smelley :oops: ...Do you think i should
take up smoking to try and hide the pong!
NO NAKED FLAMES :eek2

Hope you read this in time.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.