VTR good bike for beginner???

General Bike chat
nobbyk

Firs Bike

Post by nobbyk »

Having owned both SV650 and Storm, I would would echo the general concensus and start with the SV. It's a great bike, especialy with a can on it, Renegade is a good choice, and they ship to the U.S. Then progress to a storm by all means. I did and don't regret i! In fact, I think I ride better for doing it.

Regards

nobby
Remember, never put off till t'moz what you can do today. If you do it today, you can do it again t'moz!! Just a thought!
Granty

Post by Granty »

I've only had my VTR for a few weeks, so I can't comment too much on the suitability of this bike in particular for you. However I can tell you that I've had some problems with the engine cutting out at low speeds, which appears to be quite a common experience among VTR owners. If I hadn't had years of experience on bikes beforehand I think the chances are I'd have dropped it within the first few miles.

Anyway, are you sure that you can ride a 1000cc machine as a new biker? I don't know what the laws are where you live (heck, I'm even confused about how the learner schemes work where I live), but I'm pretty sure that most places won't let new riders anywhere near this sort of capacity machine.

Cheers

Granty
jsheps

Post by jsheps »

:? go for the storm mate i started on a gsxr600 which is only 10bhp down on the storm but still had moe top end, i got bored of it after a year the storm is an easy bike thats as good at touring as it is on the track it aint a full on sports bike.

but the storm is addictive cheap to run and sounds great with race cans :twisted:

all this talk of to much power is crap try riding a new gsxr 750 or 1000 and then yes your in for snags and can over do it easy.

as for the sv650 nice bike but to small for a v twin, if you dont go for the storm atleast look at the new 600 and forget the gs 500 its a town bike only just better than a scooter. :lol:
VTRoneG

Post by VTRoneG »

Hi Nick,
Superhawk is my first and only bike. I have 11000 miles on it as today, 1/3 of the miles were riden in twisties.
I would not say this is an ideal bike for beginner, but I would not have it any other way.

I have also riden friend's bandit 1200 and cbr929rr. The 4-liner feels smoother in stop and go traffic (15-40 mph).
The torquey part is actually good, but the engine break (when you let go the throttle) is a little bit too much to comprehen for 1st timer. I'm talking about city street speed, especially when you're taking a turn and let go the throttle (1st and 2nd gear).

I took me the 1st 4000 miles to understand the bike's mechanics.
Don't forget to take MSF.

If you decided to get this bike, make sure learn how to use the clutch to control your speed smoothly since this bike has a lot of torques.

Good luck with whatever bike you choose!