what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
lloydie

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by lloydie »

As the bird has no adjustment on the forks as there sh1t I needed to add some preload to get the rider sag set right .
I ordered some longer spacer tubes Image
The standard spacers are 200mm
So I ordered 300mm with the intention to cut them down .
I started with a spacer at 230mm but that gave me 25mm sag :-(
So I took off another 10mm and now it's at 35mm rider sag [THUMBS UP SIGN].
The front feels much better just sitting on the bike ,
I'll test it on the way to work tomorrow morning ,
No doubt I'll have to adjust the head light when I get home !
Not a bad mod for less than a tenner especially when aftermarket preload adjuster are £80 !
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Welcome back, Plan A mate. Stay in touch, cause Britain's going to shite. I will stop AP from visiting your Mum.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

It’s December but the temps were in the high 70s and the sky was clear and blue. The road called so I put my frustrating job away and I got the Superhawk out. Then I ran into a little trouble. It has been raining like hell here the last month. In fact we broke some kind of rain record for the year and this has made the ground very soft. I had to close the rollup garage door once I got the bike out so I put the bike on the side stand. I took all the precautions. I centered it over a clump of grass and I tested it. It seemed to be holding so I stepped away from the bike to close the door and I was just in time to turn and watch my Superhawk sink slowing over on its side. To make matters worse, the misses was out and I was alone. (She is a big girl and would have come in handy) It wasn’t just a matter of picking the bike up. It was pegged to the ground. I ran into the shop and fetched a ten foot 2x4. I ran it under the bike, in the foot peg area, and I used it as a lever to hoist the bike up. So gentle was the tip over that no harm was done. I had a pretty good ride but i am afraid my back is going to play up tomorrow from the strain I put it under.

Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Great photo jim, bike is looking good and I am glad there was no damage when it sunk.

Sounds like you need to add a small section of a paving slab just outside the garage door to put your side stand onto in the future
AMcQ
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Just rolled it out the garage for a quick ride today, i still haven't fully scrubbed the rear tyre in due to it being wet and leaves all over the place still. Be nice to have a leisurely 50 mile ride though.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Big_Jim59 wrote:It’s December but the temps were in the high 70s and the sky was clear and blue. The road called so I put my frustrating job away and I got the Superhawk out. Then I ran into a little trouble. It has been raining like hell here the last month. In fact we broke some kind of rain record for the year and this has made the ground very soft. I had to close the rollup garage door once I got the bike out so I put the bike on the side stand. I took all the precautions. I centered it over a clump of grass and I tested it. It seemed to be holding so I stepped away from the bike to close the door and I was just in time to turn and watch my Superhawk sink slowing over on its side. To make matters worse, the misses was out and I was alone. (She is a big girl and would have come in handy) It wasn’t just a matter of picking the bike up. It was pegged to the ground. I ran into the shop and fetched a ten foot 2x4. I ran it under the bike, in the foot peg area, and I used it as a lever to hoist the bike up. So gentle was the tip over that no harm was done. I had a pretty good ride but i am afraid my back is going to play up tomorrow from the strain I put it under.
What about a sidestand puck on a bit of string:

I keep one like those above in my tankbag so I've always got it to hand if the ground is wet or if the tarmac's soft on a hot day.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You were lucky it wasn't any worse Jim, I hope your back hasn't suffered too much.

A good suggestion Wicky :thumbup: something we should all do really, carry a side-stand puck. I admit am as guilty as the next person of not carrying one with me on the bike,

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Wicky wrote: I keep one like those above in my tankbag so I've always got it to hand if the ground is wet or if the tarmac's soft on a hot day.
Yep! I always keep one handy too :thumbup: Never know when it will come in useful.

Put about 180 miles on the bike today. Went up to MegaMotorcycles in Swindon to buy some boots they had on sale. (Alpinestars S-MX6) got what I thought was a really good deal until I got them home. Then I realised I had bought the standard ones and not the waterproof ones :crazy: SO back I went. On the up side side, they only charged me a tenner more for the waterproof ones, should have been about £40 :D

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Well, while you guys have been riding I've been watching the snow hammering down. It's warmed up a bit now, up to 2deg and no doubt it'll melt. But it aint road biking weather.

Anyway, rear suspension is all back together and rear wheel is in. Time to take the dogs out (they love the snow!).
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

sirch345 wrote:You were lucky it wasn't any worse Jim, I hope your back hasn't suffered too much.

A good suggestion Wicky :thumbup: something we should all do really, carry a side-stand puck. I admit am as guilty as the next person of not carrying one with me on the bike,

Chris.
I just welded a bigger plate on the bottom of the stand. I cant forget it then.

BTW an old jam jar lid works a treat for this.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Wow good to get out but bloody slippy in places. I do love this bike though.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Picked me up this for the bird but thinking I'll sell it on ,
Brought on a whim !
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

into the mancave today and at last got my new blade brakes onto the storm..and bled up real nice... ooooh sir what a difference :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: .

oh hello mr posty man is that for me? would that be me sexy alloy fork brace then... guess il be back in the cave first thing then out for some testing :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Wicky wrote:
Big_Jim59 wrote:It’s December but the temps were in the high 70s and the sky was clear and blue. The road called so I put my frustrating job away and I got the Superhawk out. Then I ran into a little trouble. It has been raining like hell here the last month. In fact we broke some kind of rain record for the year and this has made the ground very soft. I had to close the rollup garage door once I got the bike out so I put the bike on the side stand. I took all the precautions. I centered it over a clump of grass and I tested it. It seemed to be holding so I stepped away from the bike to close the door and I was just in time to turn and watch my Superhawk sink slowing over on its side. To make matters worse, the misses was out and I was alone. (She is a big girl and would have come in handy) It wasn’t just a matter of picking the bike up. It was pegged to the ground. I ran into the shop and fetched a ten foot 2x4. I ran it under the bike, in the foot peg area, and I used it as a lever to hoist the bike up. So gentle was the tip over that no harm was done. I had a pretty good ride but i am afraid my back is going to play up tomorrow from the strain I put it under.
What about a sidestand puck on a bit of string:

I keep one like those above in my tankbag so I've always got it to hand if the ground is wet or if the tarmac's soft on a hot day.
I am twice stupid because i actually have one in my tank bag but "it was just for a second." Just long enough to plant itself. I do have a concrete slab buried but it is further over on the VFR side of the garage door. I guess I need to bury another one on the VTR side.

Have you seen the video that shows a slight woman picking up a fallen Harley by backing her butt into the seat and pushing up with her legs? This works if 1) your bike is a Harley or cruiser and you can position your butt on the seat. (running boards help to hold the bike up I guess.) 2) If the bike doesn’t have both tires off the ground and 3) if it is not stuck in the wet earth. For me, since the wheels were both off the ground, I had to use the board to get the bike high enough to even start the “push with your feet” technique. Once I got the bike high enough to touch the wheels I was able to pull it upright without much strain. All's well that end well with a nice ride.

I knew the picture would look cool when I took it but it didn't look very good in the view finder. I took it anyway and I am glad i did.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Got ck pissed and now he's chucking up in my back garden lol ha ha ha ha