lloydie

what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by lloydie »

Fitted the micron titanium can .
Looks and sounds great .Image
Varastorm

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Varastorm »

lloydie wrote:Fitted the micron titanium can .
Looks and sounds great .Image
Looks very tidy too Lloydie :thumbup:
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Very nice, and bet it's got a fruity sound.

Only thing is, is there any way of covering up the NFRU (not for road use) stamping on the end of the can? It's blatantly obvious and could get you tapped by plod or a traffic warden if they pass it or pull you over.

Such a shame to spend all that money, and then (maybe) having to swap the can back over again.

As the end can has 4 Allen head bolts, can you remove the bottom 2, then cut & shape a thin aluminium plate (like a letter "C"), drill 2 holes in plate, fit over the wording, then re-fit Allen bolts...? But maybe you might think that'd spoil the look of the can?
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:Very nice, and bet it's got a fruity sound.

Only thing is, is there any way of covering up the NFRU (not for road use) stamping on the end of the can? It's blatantly obvious and could get you tapped by plod or a traffic warden if they pass it or pull you over.

Such a shame to spend all that money, and then (maybe) having to swap the can back over again.

As the end can has 4 Allen head bolts, can you remove the bottom 2, then cut & shape a thin aluminium plate (like a letter "C"), drill 2 holes in plate, fit over the wording, then re-fit Allen bolts...? But maybe you might think that'd spoil the look of the can?
:-) it only cost me £20 .
I'm off work Wednesday so I'm going to polish the nfru off it if it won't then I'll cover it up as you said but tbh they don't care about that around here as long as your not at full chat at silly o'clock in the morning and riding like a nob .
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Varastorm wrote:
Looks very tidy too Lloydie :thumbup:[/quote]
Thank you I'm very pleased with it and can't wait to test it at 4am tomorrow morning:-)
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

lloydie wrote:
Varastorm wrote:
Looks very tidy too Lloydie :thumbup:
Thank you I'm very pleased with it and can't wait to test it at 4am tomorrow morning:-)[/quote]
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Polished off the "not for road use" and fitted a baffle .
Nothing worse than a screaming il4 to attract the fuss .
TheGingerBeardMan

Re: what have you done to your

lloydie wrote:Polished off the "not for road use" and fitted a baffle.
MY GAWD - that's a bl00dy nice job polishing that off. And it blended in well leaving no obvious marks or half shiny bit!

Fitting the removable baffle was an unexpected (but still wise) move, (and it can always be taken out :twisted: ).

Glad you didn't go down the daft suggestion I made of making a plate to cover it, as polishing it off makes it a lot neater. I don't have the power tools and polishing kit to make a good job like you've done. 99% of my polishing is still done with 0000 grade steel wool, my index finger, and a tube of Solvol Autosol.

Jobs a good 'un Chief! :thumbup: :clap:

TheGingerBeardMan

lloydie wrote:Polished off the "not for road use" and fitted a baffle
Now, get one of these ordered up! (check a few legal cans to see the best place for it)

£3.99 and 95p P&P on ebay.

(There are other plates with rivets for sale, but they DON'T have the full EU legal directive on them - so this decal is the best option)

E1 BSAU "Road Legal" Heatproof decal: Heat Proof Road Legal Decal

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
lloydie wrote:Polished off the "not for road use" and fitted a baffle.
MY GAWD - that's a bl00dy nice job polishing that off. And it blended in well leaving no obvious marks or half shiny bit!

Fitting the removable baffle was an unexpected (but still wise) move, (and it can always be taken out :twisted: ).

Glad you didn't go down the daft suggestion I made of making a plate to cover it, as polishing it off makes it a lot neater. I don't have the power tools and polishing kit to make a good job like you've done. 99% of my polishing is still done with 0000 grade steel wool, my index finger, and a tube of Solvol Autosol.

Jobs a good 'un Chief! :thumbup: :clap:
Thank you .
It only took 10 minutes with a sanding disc to get it off then another 5 minutes with a half warn disc to polish it up .
Would of taken me a lot longer to cover it and it wouldn't of looked half as good .
I have to run a baffle as I leave at 4am, so don't want to piss the neighbours off to much .
Tho the can was as new I added some better packing as it wasn't that good when I stripped the can , I do t think it'll pass a 98db limit still but at least it's not anti social.

I also reset the headers as I had a slight blowing from somewhere and as its a split spring system I didn't have to remove the studs just the spring and it all came apart .
I cleaned up all the joints and used high temperature silicone to seal them ,refitted it all and tested it for leaks .
Bugger I still have one , it's coming from one of the welds at the junction where it 2-1 so I'll have to get it tacked when I have some time off work .

For those that remember the long "Virt" tube tool ! This is what it's for .

[youtube][/youtube]
It's so I don't gas myself when running the bike in the garage and it's also helps finding leaks in the exhaust as all the sound goes outside.
Last edited by lloydie on Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
lloydie wrote:Polished off the "not for road use" and fitted a baffle
Now, get one of these ordered up! (check a few legal cans to see the best place for it)

£3.99 and 95p P&P on ebay.

(There are other plates with rivets for sale, but they DON'T have the full EU legal directive on them - so this decal is the best option)

E1 BSAU "Road Legal" Heatproof decal: Heat Proof Road Legal Decal

Now that's over kill lol .
It'll be fine now the nfru is gone and will pass even the strictest of MOT's not that my MOT man is bothers about cans .
TheGingerBeardMan

That "Virt Tube Tool" is a really neat idea. I've seen folk use the big Tumble drier vent hoses before, and adapted Vacuum cleaner hose attachments (using the hose to go through a hole cut in the shed), but never a scaffolding pole. I'd be a bit concerned about the pull-down tension weight in the can, caused by the angle of the tube and the forces applied at that point.

The pipe will have more force at that angle than it would if kept straight etc....can't remember the maths equation for it.... (you'll be glad to read!)

Would it pull the can up slightly or risk weld fractures in the end-can opening? I dunno.

Still, it does the job, and does it well by the looks of it!

Only thing I'd laugh about, is if any spotty arsed youth passes on his moped, clocks yer long exhaust and thinks: "WOW! - have you seen the size of this guys custom exhaust?...I gotta make me one of them". Any older bikers that may pass might think "this man has taken the Brussels Noise restriction methods to an extreme".

I bet if freaked the neighbours out, if they twitched behind their curtains, and saw you putting THAT on the end. :lol:

lloydie

what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by lloydie »

It's a ali tube so it's very light .
As for the neighbours there used to my antics !
TheGingerBeardMan

lloydie wrote:It's an ali' tube, so it's very light...
Very light you say? :think: Well, that's ok then! I'll let you off this time. :lol:

"Carry on Corporal".

Virt

Post by Virt »

You mean it wasn't just for tickling my colon? :( I felt special

Sent from my PE-TL10 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement