speedo

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
man from africa

speedo

Post by man from africa »

out for a blast this morning and with the lights on noticed the speedo,rev counter and lights not working and also mileage indicator.switched lights off and everything then worked except lights because now off.got home switched her off and tried to start her.she would not turn over and i noticed a buzzing noise from underneath the left side of the seat cowling ,the left side when you sit on the bike.is this my rectfier whats knackered or could anyone please advise.at present she is on optimate charger.thanks
rhodesians never die,pasi ne mugabe
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

The rectifier is behind the right rear cowling towards the back (with you facing the back of the bike)
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Wicky

Re: speedo

Post by Wicky »

Sounds like your starter relay/solinoid is struggling. Check the connection where the ignition circuit plugs into it.

http://www.bike-parts.fr/pieces-promo-4 ... 2800-.html

man from africa wrote:....and tried to start her.she would not turn over and i noticed a buzzing noise from underneath the left side of the seat cowling...
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

not your alarm(if fitted)? will make strange noises with flat battery. :confused
man from africa

been on optimate for three hours and went to start it.fired up straight away.i do not have an alarm on it storming joe.should i leave it or book it in to be checked.would the cold weather have anything to do with it
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

do some wire wiggling see if you can find a loose connector especially behind instrument panel and under seat ones, make sure battery connections are tight. :confused
fishface

Post by fishface »

may be a loose earth some where ????
man from africa

thanks for all your tips.will have a look tomorrow.not being very mechanically minded where do i find the starter relay
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

You might want to download this PDF Service manual that'll have illustrations describing the layout of the Storm's electrics.

Plus it'll be a handy reference for future problems. maintenance and servicing.

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Moto/VTR/ 102mb
man from africa wrote:thanks for all your tips.will have a look tomorrow.not being very mechanically minded where do i find the starter relay
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

you can wack a multimeter across most componants and check the readings against the manual (linked above this post). That will help to narrow things down.

That buzzing noise you can hear is the solinoid firing but not catching which means its likelly to be an electrical problem. Checking the rec-tum-frier would be my first port of call as they tend to go on the storms. Do the usual fuses check and if you can, disconnect the alarm before any tests. If your unsure how to do this ask a dealer as alarms can be a pain in the elbow!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
man from africa

update.done about 160 miles today.loads of breaks for a cigarette.no problems whatsoever.unsure whether to book it in to get checked or not
Dazjm

Post by Dazjm »

I had a similar problem, with the starter solenoid buzzing. Battery was fully charged, but it didnt want to turn the starter.

Turned out to be a loose connection on the earth strap from the negative terminal on the battery at the point where it connects to the engine block, via the speed sensor fixings.

Possibly a dodgy reg/rec, and charging up with the optimate masking it a bit? not sure about that tho.