some vtr questions

General Bike chat
tradedog

some vtr questions

Post by tradedog »

Have just collected my Firestorm, 98, 6000 miles from new and like new.
Its black, looks great and after about 50 miles of playing on my new toy, I just love it.

I have a couple of questions:

(1) Is the first to second gearchange always a bit clunky or is this just me?
(2) What sort of oil is best for this bike? Will oil type affect gearchange quality? Any opinions synthetic vs mineral?
(3) Can anyone recommend aftermarket clipons which will raise the clipons as much as possible and maybe move em back a little without catching on the fairing?

Thx in advance
Badger

Post by Badger »

The gear change clunks, accept it, thats the way it is.

With the engine oil just use a good quality one, you pay you money & take your choice.

The latter model bike have slightly higher handle bars, but I don't know
if they are a straight swop.

Alan
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

1. While it is a typically clunky Honda change, you can avoid some clunks by short-shifting (change into second at low revs), by pre-loading the gearlever before you change, or by changing gear under power (so the revs don't drop). Having said that, it is still very hard to avoid all clunks, and sometimes what I've said won't work: preloading makes it change early (sans clutch), changing under power makes it clunkier.
Keeping the chain clean, lubed and properly adjusted helps a little.
There is a shift kit available from Factory, which exchanges the detent spring and lever for one with a more positive action and 'micro bearings'. People who've swapped to these swear by them, but then they would. :wink:

2. A 'good' brand of semi-synth or synthetic is probably best. Maybe. Some say synthetic makes gearchanges 'better' but this is hardly objective.

3. You could switch to later model bars (post 2002?), VFR bars, GenMar risers, HeliBars, or some other brand of clip-ons I can't remember the name of. Spiegler??
I have GenMars, which help (19mm higher) but the angle still isn't quite right.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your new ride. :D
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
Stratman

Gearchange

Post by Stratman »

Always clunky between 1st & 2nd and doesn't seem to have any ill effects after 28,000 miles - short shift or have revs fairly high better. Semi-synthetic does help a lot actually :lol:
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I always used Mobil 1 R4T fully synthetic oil, dog nads, no problems ever.

As for the gearbox above oil will make gear changes slicker, never use the clutch once above 2nd/3rd and do completely non-clunky changes. It'll most definately always be notchy going from 1st to 2nd as you are passing through netrual, short shift is best at low revs or bang it in at high revs, think about it too much and it'll get worse.

Del.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I believe the CBR XX clip-ons are a straight swap and are a nice option to Helis.
BazilD

Post by BazilD »

Trade hello. Ex Zimbo in UK with a storm. I hope you enjoy the weather out there and ride every day!
Forget clip-ons you gotta get the loudest cans ever for your storm, so the damn ET's can hear you four blocks away!! :twisted:
Enjoy the site you will find some great stuff on here!
BazilD
Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windscreen!
Neophyte

fairing

Post by Neophyte »

Hi all,

Well in SA you can start feeling winter coming on but that still won't stop me from riding everyday.

The big unanswered question remains if the above mentioned higher clip-ons will catch on the fairing or not.

Can anyone please comment on that?
jpickup

Post by jpickup »

I'm getting confused here and the posts aren't clarifying things.

Slips-ons = after-market exhaust cans
Clip-ons = the same or handlebars?
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

jpickup,

Yep SLIP ON'S = Cans and CLIP ON's = handlebars.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
tradedog

Post by tradedog »

Thx for all the replies, even one from an ex Zimbo. Riding bikes is about the only pleasure we have left out here now.