rear brake caliper torque specs?

General Bike chat
996superhawk

rear brake caliper torque specs?

Post by 996superhawk »

does any one know the torque specs for the two bolts that hold the rear caliper? i have a 2002 superhawk. i changed my rear brake pads, and put it all back together and it will not work when i step on the brake pedal i see the caliper move a little, but i did not want to brake the bolts becasue i do not know what the torque specs are. thank you
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Well that don't sound good, it's NOT going to be the torque settings causing this, it could be one of a few things? air in the system, buggered seals, pads put in wrong but I'd assume you did that right. I think (but somebody can check with their cd manual hopefully) the pad pin that holds the pads in (6mm allen key) is 18Nm (the cap - flathead screw drive should be done up real loose else it'll get stuck in - manual quotes 3Nm's I think) and the rear most bolt that bolts to the caliper mounting bracket is 23Nm. I never undo the front most bolt that bolts to the caliper, no need. Also check the pad guides are on, one is inside the caliper (just pushes in) and the other rests on the face of the caliper mounting bracket and the pads are pushed onto it as you install them, it's there to shop the pads cutting groves in the bracket I think.

Del.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Bud.
What part of FLA are you from? Spent 4 years living at Merritt Island,Brevard County.five minutes frm Cocoa Beach 8)
Pete.l
996superhawk

Post by 996superhawk »

i am in ft lauderdale (sunrise)
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

8) cool I haven't been down through there in a long time. Always wanted to know. How do you manage with all that heat and humidity when on a long run?. There's so many love bugs and things that sting flying around it must be a real hassle to wear leathers and a full face.
Pete.l