My bike smelt like eggy trumps

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Fran79

My bike smelt like eggy trumps

Post by Fran79 »

Really not kidding. went for a blast to squires with my brother and when we got there my bike smelt of eggy trumps (no it wasnt me) :oops: and there was a high pitched whisltling sound coming from the back of the engine. I went for a drink and sumthing to eat and when i got back it had stopped. it hasnt done it since though so i was wondering if anyone has any ideas what it could be, or should i not be worried as it hasnt done it since. could i have been just a bit too hard with my riding?? 8O :D :wink:
My brain hurts!!
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Could have picked something up on exhaust plastic, cowpat, dead chicken,
The only other thing I can think of for the smell is contaminated oil and it boiling off when its hot eggy smells are usually associated with sulphur

The whistling probably the timing chain running over the tensioner blade making the noise if you get a knocking that’s the time to worry

I’d leave it for now and enjoy riding "I just know there’s going to be a remark about that” :roll: for now and if you get the same problem then look in to it
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
pariah

Post by pariah »

Fran. Rectifier. chargers gone. will tequire new . plus battery. Mine did the same and cost me 168 squid. :( :( :( :(
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

pariah wrote:Fran. Rectifier. chargers gone. will tequire new . plus battery. Mine did the same and cost me 168 squid. :( :( :( :(
Hmmm - Yep Could be!

If R/R's gone then battery could well have been boiling the acid - which being dilute sulphuric acid would explain the eggy smell.

The noise could have been battery breather and / or acid spillage onto something rather warm.

If you have access to a voltmeter / multimeter, start bike, and put meter across battery terminals to see what voltage R/R is charging at.

If it's above 14V then the Regulator Rectifier is fecked, the battery is probably goosed also, especially if it has boiled, plates will be well warped.

Shouldn't cost anything like £168 to put right though 8O

New battery - go for a German made one not cheaper Far East crap, they're false economy - IMO.

Don't bother with Storm R/R even the newer finned version will cost you too much dosh. Go to road rash or other bike breakers and get yourself an R6 or R1 R/R should be about £10-£15.
With 5 male & 5 female spade connectors and 5 short lengths of wire, you can patch between the Storm loom & the R1 R/R socket dead easy.

See this link for R/R mod as above (the spades are just my spin cos I didn't want to chop loom).

If you have any probs, giz a shout I'll come give you a hand.

Graeme.
Fran79

Post by Fran79 »

Thanks guys you're a great help. :wink: Ive only had the bike just over a month, do you think it will still be covered by the warranty? im going to phone and see what they can sort out (cheaply) if not ill be phoning your way Graeme :oops: :wink:
My brain hurts!!
warby221

Post by warby221 »

pariah wrote:Fran. Rectifier. chargers gone. will tequire new . plus battery. Mine did the same and cost me 168 squid. :( :( :( :(
:oops: :oops: never thought of that one i'll go stand in the corner
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

If you manage to get them to do it under warranty, ask them to make sure they fit the newer 'finned' (heatsink) version, not the crappy orginal or it'll happen again. :wink:

If they won't - then plan 'B' :)
pariah

Post by pariah »

Well when yh stranded 150 miles from home when it happens redstorm yh has t get it fixed by who can do it the quickest. As I was meant to be back at work for the monday . So not only did it cost me 168 squid, I also lost 3 days pay.

Never mind when yh as rich as me It dont matter any way . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RedStormV

Post by RedStormV »

My fault matey :oops: , should've qualified it by saying:

"unless you get it done by a dealer at dealer prices if you're in a hurry or if you're loaded and just don't care."

Or something like that :wink:

Hope they fitted you a 'finned' one for that price mate 8O

Oh, also better qualify the battery thing, Far East crap = Taiwanese etc, Jap batteries are OK - in fact IIRC a lot of the 'German' batteries are actully Japanese made.