shocked!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
adfski

shocked!

Post by adfski »

Got me a replacement shock off the bay and just had a look at installing it. The workshop manual says to remove the exhaust.

I really don't want to do that as some of the clamps look a little corroded to say the least and I think (correct me) that there are gaskets which will need replacing if they get disturbed.

Is there a way of doing the job without pulling the exhaust apart? How difficult is the job? As a last resort I am even considering removing the rear subframe and getting in that way. (it needs a blast and a paint job anyway). Is this possible?

cheers
"military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense"
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Andy,
Iirc you don't need to remove the exhaust :!:
Remove the arm from the linkage that goes to the engine (the one under the swingarm) I don't think I actually removed it from the linkage end just the engine/gearbox end, but it may be easier if you do. Remove the bolt at the bottom of the shock then raise the fuel tank and undo the top shock mounting bolt the one that goes through the frame, probably best to slacken this nut off before removing the bottom mounting bolt, so the whole shock doesn't try to rotate.

Don't forget you'll need to support the backend of the bike before you start, the back wheel needs to have no load on it before you start.

HTH,

Chris.

PS. It may pay though to remove the swingarm etc while you're at it, so you can give all the bearings etc a good greasing if it's not been done for a while.
adfski

Post by adfski »

cheers chris I thought the manual was just being over the top as usual!

Will give it a go next week!
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Adfski,

The shock wont come out without removing the swingarm or exhaust

Personally I'd go for the swingarm for a couple of reasons
1. As Chris says, clean and grease the linkages while it is apart (makes a big difference to handling!)

2. Piece of pee job -reckon on half an hour provided none of the bolts are seized
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
adfski

Post by adfski »

cheers ben. I'm slightly confused now but it does make sense to give it a good grease up while i'm there anyway. It looks like you could just squeeze it out of there but I would have been gutted to have unbolted it all and come unstuck at that point.

At least I know what to expect now. Cheers dudes! 8)

andy
stevevtr1

Post by stevevtr1 »

Its the bottom shock bolt that fouls the exhaust when you try & take it out.Was there when Gareth Evans at Reactive suspension fit my Penske shock,he was a bit p@ssed off that it looked like the exhaust would have to come off.But dropping off the shock linkage (& as Chris said clean & regrease)sorted it,refitting the other way round means it won't be a problem next time. :D
Steve