Wobbling Front end

General Bike chat
Binks

Wobbling Front end

Post by Binks »

I've noticed recently, that the front end of my VTR has a slight wobbling effect in the handlebars when I go around corners, it's the worst on roundabouts.

I've had the headset changed as there was a bit of play in it, and it turned out to be rusty, but the feeling is still there, I tried looking for play in the wheel bearings. Can you detect front wheel bearing play with the wheel still on the bike, or do I need to get the wheel out and look at the bearings seperately?

Any suggestions?

Simon
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

I had a similar thing a few years ago on another bike and it turned out to be a slight defect on the front tyre, might be worth checking the tyre to see if it has any iregularities on the edges or not seated right.

Hope this helps.

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

may be an obvious guess but check the discs.....
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Binks your going to have to get the front wheel of the ground to check the front bearings.Turn the handlebars either left or right against the headstock and hold the wheel at approximatly 6;00 and 12;00 oclock.
Rock the wheel top to bottom and see if there is any movement/clicking.
Also check the rear wheel.swing arm and suspension travel.Just cause the wobble is up front that doesn't necessarily mean thats where the cause is.Do Iggys and Essexblokes checks too.
Happy Hunting

Pete.l