Tail riser

General Bike chat
VTRBOY

Tail riser

Post by VTRBOY »

Has anyone fitted a tail riser or jack up kit? It's supposed to raise the back of the bike to improve turn in by putting more weight over the front end. I'm thinking of fitting one but I'm abit wary of messing around with the steering geometry.
I've shaken Rossi's hand. Francis Rossi that is!!
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Isnt it easier to fit a few spacers on the shock for the same effect???
simon t

Post by simon t »

I've fitted a 3mm spacer (thickness of material I had to hand) and it has definitely made an improvement to turn in and my confidence. Will probably put another 3mm on top when weather improves. I believe 6mm spacer raises ride height by 40mm, so shorties may prefer to drop the forks. Nicked the bit below from Shaun Pallister's storm site:

"Increasing ride height reduces the rake at the steering head and reduces the trail. On a Firestorm fitting a 6mm spacer under the rear shock mounting would reduce the trail from 24.89 degrees to 24.28, the trail from 97mm to 93.5mm and the wheelbase would be 1427mm. Which compares with Foggys 95 race 916 at 24.5 degrees 100mm trail and a wheel base of 1428mm"

Diagram of spacer at:

http://www.vtwo.demon.co.uk/firestorm/firestorm.htm

However, it's easier to cut the hole as a U shape, then you can just 'slide it in' as Whitesnake would put it.

ps. all of this 'knowledge' is thanks to Firestorm UK website - what a great bunch you all are :D

Simon
simon t

Post by simon t »

Reading Shaun's bit through again, I think he means 'rake' when referring to the fork angle. Even the best can do mispronts :lol:
vtrholmes

Post by vtrholmes »

I put in a six mil spacer and cut the slot in a U shape, easy job. I had it done by a local machining shop and they just gave it to me. Theres quite a few sites you can get the diagram from. I got mine from Greg's VTR site. I noticed an immediate difference but I had to stiffen the front preload about a half turn. I definetly recommend this upgrade for the stock vtr shock. Makes the bike look better too.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Or kill two birds with one stone and swap the rear shock for a ride-height adjustable unit, giving you a decent shock and increased height.
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Erm swap eh.......... my, my, you have some generous freinds..... :wink: