chicken strips.....

General Bike chat
chuxsta

chicken strips.....

Post by chuxsta »

as im getting more in the zone with my storm im riding a hell of a lot faster round bends and other private roads with islands on them

and a few times i thought the back end was playing up or thought there was crap on the road... but it dawned on me today when i had it cranked so far over i could have got my chin down that im starting to use the unsed parts of my tyre hence the reason why the back end has been sliding when i have been gassing it out of islands en sh1t...

apart from taking some sand paper to the edges or sitting on an island for an hour is there any other recommended ways to scrub in the unused areas of the tyre..
we talking the last 5mm of tyre... if that...
fritz

Post by fritz »

top tip from a traffic cop!!!! (not me btw)

bike up on paddock stand.. and secured!!!

first gear..

wire brush..

job done..

cos plod bikes are expected to go out and be ready for anything, even if they do have new hoops on!!!!
andy c

Post by andy c »

Be careful running the bike in gear on a stand i did it once and somehow got my finger caught in the chain

RESULT
Weeks off work
Skin grafts
End of finger missing
AND IT HURT
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

Always very nervous about doing that meself. I was looking at the instructions for calibrating a digital gear indicator - put bike on paddock stand and run through all gears ~4000rpm. In 6th gear that would be pretty frightening!
Chris
sparrowlegs

Post by sparrowlegs »

I've got chicken strips,wings, beaks and claws on my tyres lol...got new front and rear rubber on and i've only ridden it to southport and back so far :(....AND the plod where scoping out Croston...so i didn't get to play :(.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Just keep riding and enjoying.

The strips will be gone soon enough :wink:
Zakalwe

Re: chicken strips.....

Post by Zakalwe »

chuxsta wrote:apart from taking some sand paper to the edges or sitting on an island for an hour is there any other recommended ways to scrub in the unused areas of the tyre..
we talking the last 5mm of tyre... if that...
just get it leaned over....30 miles after fitting new tyres most of my CS are well gone........just get the tyres fitted on a dry day.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

Jbrebel wrote:Just keep riding and enjoying.

The strips will be gone soon enough :wink:
i want them scrubbed cause im hitting them now and shitting my pants every time cause the rear tyre starts slipping... but im not hitting them enough to scrub them,, so i was just seeing if any one had any top tips..

i always used to run coarse sand paper over new tyres when i got them to take off the factory shine speed up the running in time..
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Im not knocking you mate. Just keep plugging away at it. I get dirty looking strips from winter riding. No way Id throw it over in the cold, mucky, slippy months like I do in the summer.

Now the weathers drying out slightly and getting warmer (he says...been in cyprus for the last week, god how i wish i hadnt come back!!!...) keep working the lean angles and feel on your rides. Even though diesel, road grime amd general shite are still a risk, they'll come down.

Not trying to teach you how to suck eggs-so to speak-its just better than sand papering a tyre imo :)
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Its actually the release agent that makes the tyres slippery, not the fact the rubber hasnt been scuffed up
It soaks into the tyre a bit so scrubbing with sandpaper isnt really gonna do much (apart from look better)
What you need is to get some heat into it and be gentle with the throttle while leaning it over to start with
Doesnt really take more then a handful of miles -I've done it in 2 laps on a trackday (good job it wasnt wet!) and about 30 on the road (fast blast followed by some long fast corners)

Chuxsta
If its the first time you've had the bike properly cranked over its possible the feel you're getting from the rear end is the suspension working in a different way.
Or the feel of new tyres vs old
Or a different make??
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

Stormin Ben wrote:
Chuxsta
If its the first time you've had the bike properly cranked over its possible the feel you're getting from the rear end is the suspension working in a different way.
Or a different make??
cheers for the input...

i have had it over a fair bit, but its only been the past few blasts i can feel its over even further..
as i can see the last 5mm of untouched tyre starting to be used now..

but every time its been that extra bit over the rear has felt like its stepping out..
of course as you said it might be the bike moving as intended and im not used to it... but it sure dont feel like bike movemnt more like the tyres..

the back tyre has done 3k miles now.
it is the first time i have ever tried this make but they were put on brand new by the shop when i bought it.
but as i have never had my brand of choice on this bike i dont know any different..
fritz

Post by fritz »

chuxsta wrote:
Stormin Ben wrote:
Chuxsta
Or a different make??
cheers for the input...

i have had it over a fair bit, but its only been the past few blasts i can feel its over even further..
as i can see the last 5mm of untouched tyre starting to be used now..

but every time its been that extra bit over the rear has felt like its stepping out..
of course as you said it might be the bike moving as intended and im not used to it... but it sure dont feel like bike movemnt more like the tyres..

the back tyre has done 3k miles now.
it is the first time i have ever tried this make but they were put on brand new by the shop when i bought it.
but as i have never had my brand of choice on this bike i dont know any different..
3K??????

you need to be thinking about a new hoop soon then?? :lol: :lol:
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

I agree with Storming Ben. It shouldn't actually be slipping, even if that bit of the tyre hasn't been used before. Reckon it'd be the handling just feels different now you're getting better.

The tyre shop I use scrubs them in before they fit them, but I know of another place that uses alcohol to get the wax off. Worth a crack if you really want to do something.

I always go the Pilot Powers & generally have the little Michelin men worn off the sides quick smart 8) Over here, chicken-strips are a hassle-able offence! :wink:
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

fritz wrote:

3K??????

you need to be thinking about a new hoop soon then?? :lol: :lol:
i ride to and from work every day with over half the trip on 30mph roads..

im probably gonna need to replace my boots from start stopping before i swap out the tyres..
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

just an afterthought.....what pressures are you running in the tyres?
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem