New Voltmeter/Clock; Unifilter

General Bike chat
ex-viffer

New Voltmeter/Clock; Unifilter

Post by ex-viffer »

Hey, 'Stormers. :D

Hope you all had a Happy New Year.
I was busy over Christmas/New Year, and installed a new voltmeter/clock/stopwatch/lap-timer on the Firestorm - see here for details: http://community.webshots.com/album/88297322swwFNk

In the same album are details of how to convert your OEM airfilter to a Unifilter. This mod cost me less than $NZ35 (that's what the foam cost, but I used less than half of it). Dunno what that is in pooonds, but probably around 10 quid or so.
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
W@zzA

Guages

Post by W@zzA »

Is it waterproof though :?: Its obviously made for the inside of a nice dry car but over here in the UK its pissing down :roll:

Warren.
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

Dunno, Warren; that's why I mounted it up under the screen, and fitted an easy-to-get-at 3-pin plug to it, so I can take it off the bike if it pisses down or I have to wash it. I s'pose I could always fill all its orofices with silicon, but it's got a few switches on it and I thought it would be too tricky.

Heh - mounted how it is, it looks like a radar detector. :)
[In case it's not obvious from the pic, it's suction-cupped to the underside of the screen]
I actually did that as it was hurting my head too much trying to work out a bracket for it, as space is so limited in the cockpit. Eventually I used a couple of suction cups for a car window blind, made a couple of bracket sout of some right-angle aluminium bits, then stuck it together with the velcro tabs supplied. It's good, and seems to be able to withstand wheelies and potholes alright.

The LEDs are a bit crap though - I ride with sunglasses on, and I can't tell how many are lit up. However, with the battery voltage indicated by a digital figure AND a bar graph as well as the LEDs, they're sorta redundant.
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
W@zzA

clocks n guages

Post by W@zzA »

Dosn't sound so bad now you've pointed that out :!: I've been trying to find a waterproof clock that's backlit without having to press a button and I've found this lot http://www.trailtech.net A Waterproof Clock, Speedo, average speed, trip etc etc it even has programable oil change and service warning :!: Dont rush out and buy one yet cos I've been in touch with them and they are releasing a model in spring/summer which has the facility to wire the backlight to the lights on your bike :!:
They also do a real neat billet suround for it 8)

Warren
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I used the little honda one and then lit it with a small led mounted in the fairing using the screen mounts. Worked really well connected to the side light and it also made the rev counter look blue ish purple.

Del.