how do u adjust the timing

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scotty

Post by scotty »

right ok , easyish you say !!!!! yeah ok :lol: bike at the moment is set up on the rear perfectly .. in alternator cover rt is lined up .... wtf do i do now ?? please idiots guide only :( a massive round of drinks to the person that can give the most simple of instructions .... an see when you lot need advice on 230v hope i make u lot look like idiots :wink:
Allways in the sh1t !! , its just the depth that varies ;o)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I presume you have both front and rear cam covers removed, and the spark plugs also removed as Barry says :?:

If you have the rear cylinder timing marks lined up correctly, the RT mark level with alternator cover mark, and the RE and RI cam sprocket marks level with the top of cylinder head and facing away from each other, if on the correct stroke, the cam lobes at that point will be facing towards each other :!: If not turn the engine over ANTI-CLOCKWISE 360 degrees (one complete turn) and re-align the timing marks, the cam lobes should now be facing towards each other.

Now turn the engine over ANTI-CLOCKWISE 450 degrees (one and a quarter turns) and line up the FT mark with the alternator cover. The FE and FI marks on the cam sprockets for the front cylinder should now be level with the top of the cylinder head (or almost, as if the cam chain has stretched it won't be exactly) and facing away from each other. At this point the cam lobes will be facing away from each other.

Hope that helps,

Chris.
scotty

Post by scotty »

ahhaaaa CHEERS Chris !!!! thats wopt i had except the fi marks as facing the wrong way :o( soo 180 out !!! its now worse lol cos while struggling like an idiot trying to get the cam chain over the sprocket ive some how managed to muck it all up !!! sooo if i ever get home early enough ,, i'll sort it all

cheers to everyone who helped tho cos if ya didnt i'd have topped myself by nowlol
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

scotty wrote:ahhaaaa CHEERS Chris !!!! thats wopt i had except the fi marks as facing the wrong way :o( soo 180 out !!! its now worse lol cos while struggling like an idiot trying to get the cam chain over the sprocket ive some how managed to muck it all up !!! sooo if i ever get home early enough ,, i'll sort it all

cheers to everyone who helped tho cos if ya didnt i'd have topped myself by nowlol
When you are trying to get the valve timing right, make sure you don't let the cam chain jamb up on the end of the crankshaft sprocket, because if you do you will have a lot bigger job than you already have :!: Try to keep it taut when moving the cam sprockets around as you lift the cam chain over them :!:

Chris.
scotty

Post by scotty »

mmmmmm cheers again chris ,, you got any tips on how to actually get the chain off and on the sprockets ??? lmao
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

You've got to take the chain guide/guard off thats on the cylinder head and slacken or remove the cct to allow you to pick up the chain.

The tip with the cable tie in an earlier post to keep the chain on the exhuast cam sprocket was a good one.
If this takes any longer this thread will get made into a film for the TV!! :lol:
scotty

Post by scotty »

if this takes any bloody longer !! my bikes gonna get thrown off a cliff !!! lmao ,, for some strange reason after takin guide off and the cct i still cant get the chain off and on the sprockets ,,, cant seem to get enough slack !!! gettin well cheesed off now :( wanted my bike foir sat too
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

I'm passing thru/by Southampton tomorrow..........
scotty

Post by scotty »

Are you ???? and at about what time would that be ?? ;o)
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

hmm about mid afternoon on my way to Wareham. Won't have the bike will be in the Van......contact details!?
scotty

Post by scotty »

WHY THE HELL!!!! WONT THIS STUPID CHAIN GO OVER THE SPROCKET ????????? my fingers are red raw ,my tempers very very frayed ,,, i got the front prcket an chain cable tied up ,, keeping the tension and it marked up ,,,, so why the hell cant i get enough slack to slip it over the other sprocket ?????? the top chain guide is off and so is the cct ???
scotty

UPDATE

Post by scotty »

well finally got it all timed up , all marks lined up where they should be , bike starts up ,, but now sounds very cammy ,,,, so i'm well fed up .. and its now going in the garage !!!

i'm never touching the engine ever again lol

cheers for every single bit of help from everybody ;o)

sooo does anybody know a good mechanic in the southampton area ?? or does anybody competant fancy earnin some cash lol ??
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: UPDATE

Post by sirch345 »

scotty wrote:well finally got it all timed up , all marks lined up where they should be , bike starts up ,, but now sounds very cammy ,,,, so i'm well fed up .. and its now going in the garage !!!

i'm never touching the engine ever again lol

cheers for every single bit of help from everybody ;o)

sooo does anybody know a good mechanic in the southampton area ?? or does anybody competant fancy earnin some cash lol ??
It sounds like you may have a couple of bent valves to me, but I wouldn't suggest you try to do that yourself, after finding the timing not that easy to get right.

I can't help you in finding a decent mechanic in your area as I live miles away :!: But I wish you luck in finding one :!:

Chris.
scotty

Post by scotty »

lol [ after finding the timing not that easy to get right. ] yer kidding lol it was nigh on impossible i now know why i'm a spark !!! found a garage just round the corner new business father and son , the old oys been a bike mechanic for over 30 years and his sone been in the game a few years too , soo hopefully my pride and joy will be back on the road soon !!!!

been a complete pain in the ass not havin her in this weather ,,, soooo lesson is keep well away from tinkerin ...
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

Sorry I didn't get to you on Friday. I was in Rownams services fixing the clutch on the wifes car. Did'nt have a fun weekend.....