Front sprocket.

General Bike chat
iggy1966

Front sprocket.

Post by iggy1966 »

Just putting together my list of "things to do" for the winter and having a minor heart murmor at the cost of it 8O

Is the concensus of opinion that 15 tooth sprocket at the front the best way forward or am I reading it wrong. :roll:

Any comments would be welcome or if anything else is worth looking into I would appreciate your comments.

Ta
Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
welshy

Re: Front sprocket.

Post by welshy »

iggy1966 wrote:Is the concensus of opinion that 15 tooth sprocket at the front the best way forward or am I reading it wrong. :roll:
Most definetley. Transforms the bike. Better acceleration, not much loss top end and the bike will pull all the way to the redline in 6th (On private road!) First thing I have done on my previous storms. I am thinking of going up 1 or maybe even 2 on the rear. Who needs to do 150mph anyway. Much prefer the increase in acceleration and save the clutch on wheelies.
Welshy :-)
Bikeless :-(
Vstormer

Post by Vstormer »

Definately the no. one mod :)
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Do it you know it makes sense :twisted:
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

It's done :D :D
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
BP team

Post by BP team »

for a long time i'm thinking about a 15 front sprocket. if it's not a problem to pull up in 2 without clutching with honda factory sprocket, i think it could be better to pull up in 2nd with less rpm (4000 i hope).
advantage : acceleration, wheelies in 2 are may be a little slowlier and can start ealier in revs, it could be possible to pull up in third without the clutch since i ever try 1-2 times to do it a little with standart sprocket...

but the thing that afraid me are
-this change may transform the gears last, i'm afraid that every gear became to quick and i ve to change gear every 2second as on a 600 (cbr...)
-sure that the top speed don't drop a little
:cry: -fuel consommation...?
-what is the max speed in 2nd just befor the red line?

Please if anyone(s) can answer me!
Iggy, can you give me your feelings since you just change yours?

A+/See you :)
Oliv
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Oliv,

When I get the sprocket fitted and take it out for a run I'll let you know my thoughts. I'm not to bothered by the reduction in top end speed, who cares!!! but I am after a better acceleration out of corners and just a bit more low down the rev range.

I let you know my thoughts

Ian
welshy

Post by welshy »

Oliv.

Haven't got round to putting the 15T on yet (it's too cold and wet!) but do it.

Top speed is slower by about 2mph I believe (it will now pull all the way to the red line in 6th.

It redlines at about 85 in 2nd but it is much easier to wheelie in second using clutch or no clutch.

Fuel consumption! Dunno was too busy having mono wheel fun to notice :lol:
Welshy :-)
Bikeless :-(
stevieVTR

Post by stevieVTR »

Where is the speedo/odometer drive on a Firestorm? On the ZX6R its from the gearbox and any adjustment of sprocket sizes causes over reading/under reading. It`s not a big problem unless you do high mileage which in turn gets even higher and at least you should be safe if you are sticking near the speed limit.
.... no more bike, divorce sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

comes off the output shaft of the gearbox using a hall effect sensor, where the battery earth connects too. Look at the rear of the engine case from the right just to the left of the rear CCT. Two M6 bolts holding it in and the cable runs up with the rear brake pipes/brake light switch etc.

Del.
adpolmike

Post by adpolmike »

sweet you guys have answered my questions for me :D

I just come from a 600 Hornet to a Storm and on the Hornet i went down a tooth on the front, it transorfmed the thing, it pulled gorgeous one wheelers in second without losing much at the top and i was hoping to try the same on me Storm. Just wasnt sure what the front sprocket was as standard, but now i know yay :D

cheers all
We are the nights that say nee!