HJC AC-11

General Biker Banter
Storm+Sun=Grin

HJC AC-11

Post by Storm+Sun=Grin »

Hi,

If anyones lookin for a new lid, RIDE rated the AC-11 by HJC rather highly.

Found a company selling them, delivered for £85.

http://www.mickbyrne.com

Hope its useful to someone, i was chuffed to get one that cheap.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks for the nod Storm+Sun=Grin :!: :D 8)

Cheers,

Chris.
Badger

Post by Badger »

I've got an HJC CL 14, good helmet.
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

helmet snobbery..............whos guilty, I know I felt cool in my Arai.....but feel a Richard in my BMW lid.......
it may be clever, but its not big.
Storm+Sun=Grin

Post by Storm+Sun=Grin »

HJC are just another helmet manufacturer that make pretty good quality, but really well priced lids.
The HJC beat a lot of other more expensive helmets in RIDEs tests.

Its not the newest of lids, but for £85 you're getting a bargain.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I had a HJC when they were first out. Great lid, great fit, great price. i then went over to the Arai I have now and in all honesty I don't think it is worth the extra dosh 8O . I'll definitely be trying on another HJC when I boot the one I've got into touch.

Pete.l
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Well I looked seriously at HJC's (and others) but was seduced by a black Arai Astro race. (Yellow 'Storm ya see)

Mine was the one with no pinlocks on the visor. Just did 'the mod' and now have a light smoke insert that is very easily removeable. Stops the visor misting up as well as keeping the bright light outa da eyes! :D
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I've had Arai's for years, the latest is a Condor & to be honest I'm not that impressed with it. It's very noisy & buffets a lot, I'm thinking maybe that the Storms screen/my height(or lack of it!) combination puts my head right in the turbulant air. Puting a DD screen on hasn't improved things much so I guess it must be the lid.
May try a shoie next time Im in the market for a lid, apparently they have better vison over the Arai anyway.

As for pinlocks, a great idea double glazeing for your lid. Apparently the insert has a coating that absorbes H2O, this must have a sell by date as mine seems to have gone off a bit as I am now getting a bit of missting. Still I have ridden through, most, of the winter & I do set off around 5am. Time for a new insert me thinks, may have to go with the smoked one this time.

I have to add that the Arai vizor system is a bit pants init! You have to be quite brutal to get it out & it's a right git to get it to go back in! Mac
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
kevg

Post by kevg »

I've got an Arai, the first time i tried to change the visor when the helmet was 2 days old i snaped the side pod off. i took it back the the shop, they changed the pod, and snaped the other one off trying to get the visor back on, lol. the replacement pods were a slightly different shape internally from the ones that came with the lid and it made a world of difference, i still cringe every time i change the visor but it seems ok now...touch wood.
cheerz

kev
Wroey

Post by Wroey »

RAINMAKER wrote:helmet snobbery..............whos guilty, I know I felt cool in my Arai.....but feel a Richard in my BMW lid.......
I'll join you there Rainmaker, ive always worn top branded helmets because of the reputation they carry.

I’m fortune in that ive got an extra large spud head, so I can fit into both Arai or Shoei, where as most people are either or.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

kevg wrote:I've got an Arai, the first time i tried to change the visor when the helmet was 2 days old i snaped the side pod off.
Haha, I think people new to arais must keep their parts dept going forever

I did exactly the same within the first month
Have now mastered it -you dont need to use nearly as m,uch force as it first seems
Can now swap mine over at the side of the road without having to take my lid off (useful when its peeing it down)
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Ooohhh. I just pushed the two grey levers as shown to me by the great salesman at Hein Gericke, Maidstone and it all worked fine. In fact I thought the Arai Astro race had a good system! 8O

He said "Raise visor, push grey levers up. Then, importantly just let them go. Pull visor back up and off" I did that all OK. He did it with the lid pressing into his waist on the counter and the visor facing away from him. I did it with the visor towards me. All OK both ways.

MacV
My mate uses a 'Condor' and hasn't mentioned an excess of noise. He does ride with std Honda cans that have had ALL the insides pulled out and straight through tubes with some perforations at the end showing so probably he can't hear bu**er all!!!! He is about 5' 11" tall.
My Pinlock insert has a silicone bead around it to seal against ingress of moisure. Seems OK so far.
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

RAINMAKER wrote:...but feel a Richard in my BMW lid...
So you should :P

I used to have an HJC. Heaps less wind noise than my Shoei, so I'd consider going back to them.

BTW, I was told yonks ago that HJC were actually made by Shoei, kinda their "home brand". Not sure if there's any truth to it, but it sounded good :D
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?