More Happy Days

General Biker Banter
Stratman

More Happy Days

Post by Stratman »

Have done a lot of work to the old girl this winter. Sounds really good now. This afternoon, quite mild weather, used my new selection of cleaning brushes and Autoglym equivalent of Muc Off. Lovingly wash and rinse her, then the TDM too.

Made a little wooden pointy stick to use on the SatNav for the TDM, made a little aluminium tube holder to put it in (the stick, not the TDM). Washed, dried, sawed, filed, painted and breathed air with a hint of Spring in it.

Looked at the bikes on the drive as it got dark and thought "this is bloody great, I've always wanted this!"

And it is, and there is all Spring, Summer and Autumn to go.

YES - BRING IT ON

Really hope I can meet some of you guys (and gals) in May if we get together?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Strat thats a brill feeling! I really hope i can get that sense of pleasure back with my dog of a storm, well just have to see!3

Ive always liked the look of those TDMs but i think i would get bored quick and prefer some sort of supermoto wheelie machine!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Took the Storm out today for the first run after my winter "rebuild". Fantastic! No leaks, seeps or weeps, new rear brake really good, maybe its the combination of the manual CCTs and new exhaust gaskets etc, but she sound a lot "tighter" and pulls like a train. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did about 70 miles and on a nice sunny day, this was therapy! Motorists were ecstatic about the sound of the open Scorpions as I flew past at ***. In fact, I have noticed this on the Storm, they are pulling over well before I've arrived as they can here me coming (and its bright yellow). On the TDM, its less so because its pretty quiet and black.
Ive always liked the look of those TDMs but i think i would get bored quick and prefer some sort of supermoto wheelie machine!
Mine is for touring really - 230 miles on a tank, 55 mpg, no aches, see everything and full hard luggage is a pretty good combination. Hadle OK too and great fun, but I have to get my adrenaline on the Storm as well!

MrMastodon

Post by MrMastodon »

Squiffythewombat wrote: Ive always liked the look of those TDMs but i think i would get bored quick and prefer some sort of supermoto wheelie machine!
Had a TDM850 MkII before the storm and think they're VERY under-rated bikes. They need liberating with a free flowing pipe (Laser Pro-stock) and then I found it great fun to ride - dare I say more so than my Storm (before the Remus cans!).

Very upright riding position and wide bars give loads of leverage and silly lean angles were possible.

I never trusted the front end very much, which led me to always get onthe power nice and early, which in turn meant a year of spinning the back out of slower speed bends and round abouts - the feeling of a nice smooth arc has to be felt to be believed. The difficulty in finding nice rubber helps this considerably (never, never, ever try Avons unless you want to ride like this all the time).

A bit more power up top and decent suspension would have made it a right cracker.

Needless to say, I highsided quite badly, breaking shoulder and very smashing up bike!

Will be more sensible on VTR...

Sorry to waffle, but TDM850s are great (apart from naff forks!).

I'll get me coat...
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I don't like the front end on the TDM either - I'm never too sure quite what its up to - and there are no chicken strips on the front which is unusual really, so its generally about as far as it should be!

sirch345
Site Admin

Re: More Happy Days

Post by sirch345 »

Stratman wrote:Have done a lot of work to the old girl this winter. Sounds really good now. This afternoon, quite mild weather, used my new selection of cleaning brushes and Autoglym equivalent of Muc Off. Lovingly wash and rinse her, then the TDM too.

Made a little wooden pointy stick to use on the SatNav for the TDM, made a little aluminium tube holder to put it in (the stick, not the TDM). Washed, dried, sawed, filed, painted and breathed air with a hint of Spring in it.

Looked at the bikes on the drive as it got dark and thought "this is bloody great, I've always wanted this!"

And it is, and there is all Spring, Summer and Autumn to go.

YES - BRING IT ON
Very well put Paul, I know exactly what you mean :!: 8)
phild

TDM

Post by phild »

Had an 850 model way back in 1996 loved it and was sad to see it go, part ex'd it for a fireblade not much between them 0 to 60. a truly much underated bike!once saw a bloke on a tricked up one at Oulton Park on a track day, he blitzed everyone in the middle group and held his own with the fast boys.