pops from under tank any halp please

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
crookster

pops from under tank any halp please

Post by crookster »

i guys i am new to the firestorm and v twins as i also have a 1200 bandit. i have noticed that when i am in low gears in traffic and stay in the same gear eg 2nd at between 2 and 3 thousand revs i get a weird popping noise from under the tank i think it may be from the carbs maybe front but i am not 100% sure the bike had 7000 miles on it. i have checked the carb balancing and its fine, its now begining to bug me does anybody have any ideas ? it runs perfect when normal riding.
crookster

Post by crookster »

its not when you down power it happens when the revs constant it may be a mis-fire i dont know.i know the sound you are talking about my bandit does it. this one comes from under the tank.
kevg

Post by kevg »

yup, its a backfire through the carbs, they all do that, what everyone else is talking about is what you get from t'other end, out the cans, on the over-run while on a closed throttle.
cheerz

kev
Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

get your carbs balanced....especially if you've fitted new cans and a K&n type filter. mine popped so hard at times it nearly blew the seat off. once the carbs were balanced it stopped :wink:
I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Yep!
mine did it from new as well. Just something you have to get used to with a big (poorly) carburated twin.
Honda claim it adds character :?
It's the first thing I ever had which has blown my knees apart and didn't have a pair of t!ts :wink:

Pete.l
crookster

Post by crookster »

thanks for the help i assume that going off your replies its nothing to worry about.
MickieB

Post by MickieB »

Wow i'm glad i was looking through here and i found this post. I've been stressing out for ages trying to figure out what is wrong with my engine, thinking it was getting some detonation or something. I was about to start on checking the fuel delivery cause i already got it tuned and that didn't help. I'm so happy to hear it's normal!
-MickieB
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

it could be the cold weather as the carbs are prone to icing and the pilot jets get affected. Bike leans off and then starts back firing. Or if you have fitted cans or k&N then the pilotn air screw mixture may be too lean and need backing off slightly. Never had this (for long apart from in the winter when coming of a long motorway blat) longterm and have got rid of a it by setting the carbs up.