Front brake disc's fowling forks?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
CountryBoy

Front brake disc's fowling forks?

Post by CountryBoy »

Just had the bike MOT'd this morning, passed all ok but got a advisary note on the front right hand ( as you stand infront looking at the bike ) brake disc fowling the fork slightly. Had a quick look at it with the guy at the garage and the spacers appear to be on the correct sides and nothing looks out of place.
I'll check properly over the weekend but can't see anything at the moment, any thoughts??
I can't read nor rite but i can drive a tracor!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Wheel spindle incorrectly fitted?
Wheel bearings been replaced? they could have been hammered in too far

Pete.l
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Bearings haven't been changed, checked the manual for the correct fitting of the spindle and looks ok but i'll strip it out over the weekend and double check.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That's a strange one :!:

Chris.
kevg

Post by kevg »

i would check all the fork alignment as well, are they the same amount through the top yolk, parallel, and the wheel spacers, brake disk mountings, something isn't right, lol
cheerz

kev
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Just a thought are the disc's both identical to each other, may be someone has replaced that one with a wrong item :!:
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Thanks for the suggestions, will check it out over the weekend and let you know what i find.
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Any of you lot know what gap in mm you have between the discs and the fork legs?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

If the disc's seem like the correct ones, both identical etc, I would also measure the distance between the wheel (edge of rim at the top) and the fork leg to see if you have equal distance each side, that should tell you if the wheel spacers etc are correct. Note you will have to remove the front mudguard to do this accurately :!:

Chris.
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Thanks for that mate, thats a big help i know what i'm aiming for now, thanks for your trouble.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

The spindle bolts up hard to the left leg (all looking from front of bike) and then the right leg floats on the spindle as it has the same bore all the way through as the spindle. Clean up the inside of the leg at the bottom and the spindle end, do up all the bolts apart from the two allen pinch bolts in the bottom of the right fork leg. Bounce the bike a few times up and down without the front brake and the fork leg will then set itself in a parallel line with the other, then torque up the lower allen head bolts. If the right fork leg cannot move on the spindle when loose then it gets dragged inwards as the spindle is done up and hence touches the front disk. You will probably find after this that your suspension works better too. This is based on straight and aligned yokes and straight forks.
CountryBoy

Dished

Post by CountryBoy »

Well looks like i'll asking for brake discs for christmas, popped the front wheel out tonight and as soon as i got it on the bench i could see the problem, the disc is 'dished', popping a level across the face of the disc showed it up straight away, not bad for 30,000 miles i guess. David Silver has them for £89 which is cheaper than most.
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

FirestormMike wrote:right , just measured mine and the gap seems to be 3 - 3.5 mm

hope this helps.

pity we dont have karma counters on this site! that was a great post well done dude! :-)
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!