Which one of these tyres?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
dessy

Which one of these tyres?

Post by dessy »

:?: I have recently purchased a 2002 VTR1000 and the Michelin Macadams (OE on Australian sold bikes, not sure what you get in the UK) are close to needing replacement and I am after something a bit sticker. The bike is used 70% for commutting / 30% for weekend fun and I am willing to take grip over mileage but I also need wet weather grip. After a bit of research this is the short list I have come up with:
1. Michelin Pilot Sport
2. Metzeler Sportec M1
3. Bridgestone 012
4. Dunlop D208ZR

What are your thoughts on these tyres and are there others I should consider? Please say why you like a particular tyre rather than just saying which one I should go for.

Thanks in advance. :wink:
Dessy
Dodger

Tyres

Post by Dodger »

Hiya Dessy, I've had my storm now for over 2 years and gone through some tyres believe me. I've had Metzelers, Bridgestone's,Avon's 45/46, Dunlop's GP 207s(very good for stickiness but a little unstable at high speeds and nobody told me how much they expand when warm(one hole in carbon hugger.)The problem with a big twin is they eat back tyres. I've now gone back to Dunlop 207s which were on the bike when i bought it.Having now done 26,000 miles on my baby the Dunlops are the one i like the most, for all round use.Regards Dodger.
slimreaper

Post by slimreaper »

I've got bridgestones BT 020's on and can't fault them.
grip really well in dry and wet, and give me loads of confidence for knee down etc.
rehab is for quitters
Masu

Post by Masu »

I use the BT010 and get goog mileage out of them, but I know a lot of guys will put a BT010 on the front and an BT020 on the rear to get max mileage. My commute is about 100 M to my shop, so I don't use the bike for that :lol:

I'm trying out the new 001, and they stick really well, at the track!
"Not all who wander are lost."
-J. R. R. Tolkien
zine

Pirelli Evo's

Post by zine »

Anyone tried the Pirelli Evo's?

I've got Dunlops and find them abit spongy.

Cheers
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Zine
check ya PM mate

Del
andy c

Post by andy c »

i've got pilot sports on mine i hate them very unstable on surface changes or white lines in the wet or dry can't wait to wear them out
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

i've done about 18k miles in the last 13 months on my storm, i've stuck with Dunlop 207's. getting about 6-7k miles out of the rear,and had about 12k out of the front.....

I've never had a problem with grip, (apart from compression sliding of course)........

And they're cheap.......£135 a set.....
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I normally run 010's front and rear but due to a lot of mileage trips this year (Scotland and Assen) I've got an 020 on the rear.
It's got plenty of grip when leant over (pegs and rear brake down) but I find it CAN skip around a bit under very heavy braking.

Personally I've always favoured the Bridgestones for the following reasons
1) Good mileage without squaring off due to dual compound (hard middle,
soft edges)
2) More grip than you'd ever reasonably use on the road and most track
use
3) Excellent in the wet (knee down in the pissing rain at Donington)
4) Stable but not heavy steering

The bad points
1) More expensive than the Dunlops
2) Stable (if you'd prefer twitchy steering)

You pays yer money etc

Ben
W@zzA

tyres

Post by W@zzA »

I went from Pirelli Dragon corsas (excellent even down to the steel belt) to Dunlop 208 the rears fine but I hate the front, anyone tried a 208 rear with a 207rr front as I think I'm gonna try these next before I go back to Pirellis
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I've found that the 208's can feel strange if the pressure is even about 1 psi out. Good tyre though but needs a good bit of scrubbing in and regular use the keep it good
welshy

Post by welshy »

If you are looking at buying now, check out Busters prices. (brochure in todays MCN) Sportec M1's - £140, D207/D208's - £135/140.

Not bad at all.
Welshy :-)
Bikeless :-(