CCT Cam Chain Tensioner Problem Fixed !!!!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
delmeekc

CCT Cam Chain Tensioner Problem Fixed !!!!!

Post by delmeekc »

Well,

I was waiting for somebody to come round tonight and decided to take a few CCT's apart, I found 6 in me loft and started from there. I have modified 2, one of which is now knackered and will be in the wheelie bin tomorrow. The other is going to have some more tests tomorrow or the weekend. If you take the spring out and tw@ it as hard as you can with a club hammer then suprise the tensioner fully retracts despite the worm gear. If you put the spring back in and tw@ it again with a club hammer then the tensioner still retracts but then recovers to its original length. Tried it with me modified one and nothin, so I tw@ it harder and eventually it retracts but seizing the worm-gear and my modification did not break - cool. Need to do some more testing to destruction.

Basically the tensioner is modified but keeping the spring so the engine can be run so the spring sets the correct tension then the whole thing can then be made rigid. If the spring then snapped the tensioner would not move. Every 4k do a little work (and I mean little) and then the tensioner will automatically take up slack and it would also show if the spring had snapped but would not shag ya engine as the engine will be off at this point.

Well I'm going to order two new ones tomorrow too and modify them and stick em in me VTR asap before I do the CSBS in just over a week.

Semi automatic tensioner, yeah.

If it all goes ok then I'll work out the cost and sort out some prices too if anybody is interested. I can fit them too if needed.

Del. :idea:
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Ooh your such a clever mucker! Stick me down for a set please fella.

Cheers
Wayne
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

i might be interested too.......not this weekend though !!!!!

Due a 20k miler in a month or 2.........give it some thought for then.....
steve

c.c.t.mod

Post by steve »

Hi guys,
thought i'd lend you the benefit of my experience,
here goes...
Vtr tensioners are crap, as we all know, but did you know there's two different ones available???
The early ones( as was fitted to mine) basically just has a spring and plunger, as i'm sure your all aware, the spring breaks, due to the vibration i guess, allowing the plunger to go slack , and, hey presto! knackered bike!
the later one, which is what you'll get if you order some replacements, have a ratchet which stops the plunger from retacting, the springs still seem to break, but it just gets a bit noisy over time as you chain stretches, no-where near as bad. Seeing as honda don't officially recognise that there is a problem with them, why change them???????
hope this is of some help to some one, or am i just rambling again???
Nevermind i've got manual ones now anyway, better safe than sorry eh?

steve
steve
sirch345
Site Admin

CCTs

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Steve,
How did you find out the later tensioners have this ratchet system and what colour dots are on these,
TIA Chris.
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

sirch345 Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:28 pm Post subject: CCTs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Steve,
How did you find out the later tensioners have this ratchet system and what colour dots are on these,
TIA Chris.
Yes, interesting to know I just bought them and they have this "dot colour".

Are they of the new "safe" type?
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

If you still have then out of the bike can you take a picture of the plunger end from both sides please and upload them.

Del.
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Del.
Hope this is what you meant? I have uploaded the pictures under "Misc." and pasted them into here from there...

delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Cheers,

just what I wanted, gowd I'm sad.

Del.
welshy

Post by welshy »

delmeekc.

I am intrested in your 'Semi-automatic tensioner'! Let me know cost etc.

How easy to fit/swop?

Cheers
Welshy :-)
Bikeless :-(
steve

c c t

Post by steve »

Hi Guys, me again,
sorry but i threw the old tensioners in the bin (so no photos i'm afraid!) but seem think they had a green dot?? sound familier to anyone?
My info comes from a VERY reliable source, not to inundate him with phone calls, but a friend who works for a tuning, dyno place, thats had loads of experience in racing vtrs, and sp's. had one himself on the road for a bit too. hope this helps

steve
steve
W@zzA

cct

Post by W@zzA »

I've only changed the front one so far! Mines a 97 and the old one on the rear has a pink dot. I'll have a look but I think I slung the old one.

Warren.
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Mine is a 1998 mod. and has a white dot.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Well, just finished my first CCT today (demolished 8 in the process) at long last. Just called honda and the new ones are in ready to be picked up and then modifed. Whilst on the phone I got him to check it and he said it's the same as the old ones. Will see tomorrow.

Once I've done a pair then I'll stickem in me VTR and let ya know how it goes.

Del.
stormy 1

Post by stormy 1 »

Can anyone tell me if pink dots r bad :!: .Or are they all sh1t except the orange dots :?: .Im interested in the semi idear can u keep us posted,cheers del :wink:
noise polution?,you should see my MPG!!!
VTR1000fw,scorpian cans,dynojet and K&N all wrapped up in HRC colours.I need a HRC avatar!.