Bike running but bogs down !

General Bike chat
Mazalak

Bike running but bogs down !

Post by Mazalak »

Hello

Never owned a VTR before and just picked one and been sitting a while 5 years so usual new plugs coolant oil filters etc problem is when u open it up feels like it’s just not wanting to open up feels restricted then u get blasts of yeah that’s better then bogs down again any advice would be grateful bikes been street fighters no fairings not original clocks or anything passed mot with minor advisories but just can’t really rely on it to get me anywhere checked the usual air hoses etc ?
freeridenick

Re: Bike running but bogs down !

Post by freeridenick »

Some things to check:
Make sure the cam timing isn't 180 degrees out.
Check the jetting in the carbs, could be someone has screwed up the fueling.
Also check the filter. Anything other than standard has a tendency to screw the fueling up especially with those stubby cans. They won't be helping.

It should be easy enough to sort out with a little patience and maybe some dyno time.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

And to add to Nic's post above.

The carbs will most likely need a strip down and clean of the jets etc if petrol was left in the carbs when it was laid up for 5 years.
Tip, don't mix up the parts from the front and rear carbs as some parts are different between the two.

Carb stripping: viewtopic.php?p=214521

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

The diaphrams in the tank and carbs wont have liked sitting for 5 years either, check they arnt perished or have any pin holes in them..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fabiostar wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:44 pm The diaphrams in the tank and carbs wont have liked sitting for 5 years either, check they arnt perished or have any pin holes in them..
The symptom's you describe sound like a issue with the petcock diaphragm. If it has a pin hole or split it will flow fuel normally but then opens up under load, thus loosing vac pressure & starving the fuel flow. In essence it shuts the fuel off. It's worth checking along with the carbs having sat for so long...

Remember when stripping it down take lots of pics before you take anything off to ensure they go back the correct way !

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...