Gerald has been to stay.

General Biker Banter
integerspin

Gerald has been to stay.

Post by integerspin »

A mouse who hasn’t got a house, has carped all over my VTR.
He’s not a very nice mouse, I don’t know why I call him Gerald.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Gerald has been to stay.

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 is your man :thumbup:

Chris.
integerspin

Post by integerspin »

Wasn't to sure what that meant.
Assumed it was a user, but maybe a little google might show it was some wondrous mouse repellent.
Seems it's a cannabis strain with mention of smells that mouses don't like, I am just reading the google search results. so I have
to sit under the cover and smoke some modern puff?
I had a google for things mouses don't like and peppermint oil seems to be on all the lists, so I am going to pour some in the V next winter.
Instead of sitting in here I should be taking off the airbox to clear away the detritus mouses leave behind.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I expected Mac to be along before now lol, he was a pest controller in a previous roll.

My wife successfully moved a rat along that was in our front garden last year making the most of the fallen bird feed and water supply that was also there for the birds, she used some essential oil, just putting some drops around where the rat used to frequent. We never saw the rat again, she did though stop feeding the birds and removed the water bath. So you are on the right track :thumbup:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Get yourself some snap traps. The more the merrier. Bait with peanut butter.

Not that easy but try to find where it's getting in & block the hole. Cement is best if poss but try stuffing hole with wire wool if not.

You can of course buy household grade poisons in various types IMO the grain style ones are best. Put it down, normally they come with trays to use, check every week to see if its been munched.

Gerald is good name for a mouse but if it has made a nest in your airbox...It will be a Geraldine.

The real bad news is if they have nested in the airbox their urine is not good as it is kind of corrosive. Plus they like to gnaw on cables, stripping the plastic off. The gnawing is to keep their teeth sharp.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:14 pm I expected Mac to be along before now lol, he was a pest controller in a previous roll.

My wife successfully moved a rat along that was in our front garden last year making the most of the fallen bird feed and water supply that was also there for the birds, she used some essential oil, just putting some drops around where the rat used to frequent. We never saw the rat again, she did though stop feeding the birds and removed the water bath. So you are on the right track :thumbup:

Chris.
He was at work Chris...12hr days :lol:
integerspin

Post by integerspin »

It's kept outside.
I have mice in my garage, trying to keep them out is pointless as it's well ventilated; but they don't bother
me so I don't bother them and have never tried getting rid of them. Mouse in the garage better than mouse in the house sorta thing.

But mouses living on the jap bike is a pain. The weather hasn't been great, and the dry spells with rain is dragging out the cleaning,
cleaning it is turning into a four day job.

Just hosed the fairing off and blew behind the headlamp with an airline. Two M5 rubber well nuts[rubber with bonded in thread insert]
appeared on the ground, wonder where they came from?

I still think he meant I should use macV2.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Oh, no- are we now going to see posts asking which essential oil they should use?
Will it never end?

What's next, turm oil?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:14 pm
sirch345 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:14 pm I expected Mac to be along before now lol, he was a pest controller in a previous roll.

Chris.
He was at work Chris...12hr days :lol:
Well I gathered that :lol: good man,

Chris,
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

integerspin wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:00 pm It's kept outside.
I have mice in my garage, trying to keep them out is pointless as it's well ventilated; but they don't bother
me so I don't bother them and have never tried getting rid of them. Mouse in the garage better than mouse in the house sorta thing.

But mouses living on the jap bike is a pain. The weather hasn't been great, and the dry spells with rain is dragging out the cleaning,

Just hosed the fairing off and blew behind the headlamp with an airline. Two M5 rubber well nuts[rubber with bonded in thread insert]

:lol: :lol:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:32 pm Oh, no- are we now going to see posts asking which essential oil they should use?
Will it never end?

What's next, turm oil?
:lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

The well nuts are used to mount the screen at the front & on the seat plastics at the rear.

If your screen has 4 holding it on then the loose ones must have been dropped at some point when a screen was removed/changed.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

integerspin wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:00 pm It's kept outside.

Do you store any food stuffs in your garage ? Bird feed, dog food, grass seed ? The only reason mice enter a property is looking for food, or for nesting spots. Remove the food source the mice have no reason to visit.

You say they don't bother you but to make a nest they will chew up paper, card & plastics.

Nest made they give birth to 8 to 10 sprogs. Mice do not have bladders so urine just passes through & drips out so nest start to stink of piss. They do not reuse nests so make a new one every time.

Mice have been known to spread nasty diseases - such as Salmonella and Listeria - to humans through their urine, droppings and bedding.

Mice have a need to mark their territory with their urine and due to their sporadic eating habits, build nests near food sources. This puts anyone with an infestation at risk of food poisoning.

As they scurry around, they carry dirt and bacteria with them, transferring it to your counter tops, cabinets, pantry and anywhere else they travel.

These nibbling nuisances can also cause a lot of property damage, due to their compulsive need to gnaw to maintain their teeth at a constant length.

Electric cables, water and gas pipes, packaging and woodwork may all be seriously damaged by mice - many instances of electrical fires and floods have been attributed to them.

Then you get the issue of are they House Mice or Field mice as technically Field Mice are a protected species.

The good news is if you have mice you haven't got rats. As they compete for the same food the rats will always win out being much bigger.

Finally as you say they are only in the garage, as the population increases & the need to feed therefore also increases expect a visit sometime soon that's if they are already not indoors already...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

A few years ago i had them in the cave, they managed to make a nice home in one of my exhaust cans, i didnt realise until i fired the bike up ready for spring time, they left the exhaust can about 40mph and made a bit of a mess when the door stopped them :eek2 . i havnt seen them since :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
integerspin

Post by integerspin »

Nothing to eat in the garage, unless you like chewing on iron.

I got the tank off this afternoon, they were in the had dragged some crap in there and chewed the element but hadn't made it to the
basement. Better pull the carbs off and clean them while I have the tank off.