2/3/4/Aug.. Op Storm Northumberland

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

AMCQ46

2/3/4/Aug.. Op Storm Northumberland

Post by AMCQ46 »

Iain (Kermit Le Frog) and I have been having a discussion since last year about trying to add a Northumberland Storm weekend to the packed schedule for 2024 meetings, as he is very keen to let us see the great motorcycle roads he has on his doorstep.

so here is the proposal.

normally in this time slot we would have my South West Scotland meeting, but as the areas are so close beside each other and I would love to try out some new roads, why not just migrate a little bit to the east and do some of the English side of the border country?

rather than being based at the Inn on the Loch, we would move the location 80 miles east, to Hexham where Iain will look at some proposals for accommodation and prices.

So who else is interested?

AMCQ46
Kermitlefrog
PeteL
Tony.mon
JST (husky James)
Edward Ord
AMcQ
tony.mon

Re: 9 /10 / 11 Aug. Op Storm Northumberland

Post by tony.mon »

They're some great roads in that location- sadly I was in the van without a bike last time I spent some time there.

I might be able to make this one!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

How many are coming on Storms and whats the routes planned?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Kermit has routes in mind, he is local.

As for how many storms….. they get less and less each year….. if I am in my camper van, I will have my storm, but if I decide to ride there from home it will be on the KTM
AMcQ
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

Im local too I know all round Hexham..a dump..lol..Ive 2 vtrs and both run faultlessly ..mostly...so why are there not more storms coming..they are very reliable.
Do you have a link to Kermits messaging..I cant find it?
Don
Ps Hexham campsite is miles up a Very steep hill.....
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

rollingthunderx2 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:05 am Im local too I know all round Hexham..a dump..lol..Ive 2 vtrs and both run faultlessly ..mostly...so why are there not more storms coming..they are very reliable.
Do you have a link to Kermits messaging..I cant find it?
Don
Ps Hexham campsite is miles up a Very steep hill.....
My VTR is reliable too, but like most of us on here, I also have a newer and more comfortable bike in the garage, and if I am doing a multi day ride, the big KTM is so much easier on my knees.

I will post up kermets notes from WhatsApp.
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

The A686 runs SW from Haydon Bridge down through Alston then over the famous Hartside pass. Only a brief stop here the look at the view over Cumbria because the run down to Melmerby is something special and the cafe/bakery at Melmerby is tops. One option then is to run North on B roads to Brampton and head East back towards Hexham along the Military road B6318 and take in Hadrian's wall and look for a missing tree.

Another option from Melmerby is to go back the same way (Ziggy did the Melmerby/Hartside bit a couple of times) to Alston and then head North on the A689 through Slaggyford. Mandatory stop at the Nook cafe to observe 100+ bikes in the car park and buy some local honey. At Lambley we can head West to Brampton or go back East and pick up the A686 at Whitfield and head back to Hexham that way.

Another southern route would take us South from Hexham down the B6303 through Blanchland then over the tops to Stanhope thence to Middleton-in-Teesdale. The B6277 back to Alston from there is a lovely bit of tarmac.

North of Hexham we normally run through Acomb to pick up the B6320 to Bellingham then turn West to Kielder and into Scotland. It's a difficult choice when we get to Saughtree. North on the B6357 to Bonchester Bridge is choice but it's probably best to go South to pick up the rather technical B6399 North to Hawick then cut East to Bonchester Bridge where we can either carry on East to the border at Carter Bar for photos then a blast down the A68 back home.

Or... take the B6357 South from Bonchester Bridge back to Saughtree. It would be a shame to miss that section out. Options from Saughtree are back via Kielder or carry on through Newcastleton via Longtown to Brampton.

WRT accomodation I need to make some enquiries. There is no obvious place for us all to stay; like the Inn on the Loch. But there are plenty of hotels, AirBnBs etc. I have room for two vans at my place plus plenty of bikes and I'm pretty close to the centre of town. Comments from the locals appreciated.
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Ah. My significantly better-informed other half has reminded me that I won't be back from Portugal until the Saturday night, so I will not be able to make this one after all.

Damn that diary and its long-standing commitments, spoiling all my fun.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Lates notes from Kermitlefrog

“I've just been down to the Travelodge. It's a 20 minute walk uphill to my place (downhill when you are pissed!). It's lovely. Brand new, been open a couple of months. Café, bar and restaurant Easy walk into town and plenty of cabs if you are lazy. Cheapest if you book online but you have to pay the full amount when you book. Their pricing model is like EasyJet so varies with occupancy and what's going on in the town at the time. They have single, double, twin and triple rooms for between 90 and 140 per night (for the room). Seems a good deal for sharing. There are other hotels in town but Travelodge is probably the best bet.”

Riders who are in:
Budd and 4 of his crew
Kermitlefrog and at least 3 of his friends
Amcq46
PeteL
Husky James
AMcQ
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:Dancing2: Looks like it's all coming together quite nicely :D

Well done lads. Can't wait to be testing out some new roads again!

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
AMCQ46

Re: 2/3/4/Aug. Op Storm Northumberland

Post by AMCQ46 »

There has been a change of date to the weekend before. The title of the first post now has the new dates.

Friday 2nd, Saturday, 3rd, Sunday 4th.
AMcQ