what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
freeridenick

Re: what have you done to your

Post by freeridenick »

fabiostar wrote:
sirch345 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:27 pm
fabiostar wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:34 pm Had a wee ride on one of them..start 24 proper.Image

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk
You're putting some of us to shame Rob :crazy:

I'm amazed you're out again, well done. Bike is looking great 8) 8)

Chris.
its a case of getting back on the horse, now this riding bikes iv been doing for a while, like since 7 years of age but that crash was different, its strange but it feels weird riding again, god knows why, not like i havnt crashed before Image but it just feels different, kinda like riding with no feel for whats going on under me :wtf: .

i thought it was just me but a few weeks ago was out with a passenger and at the coffee stop said passenger actually said to me, wtf you at the day? it was described to me like sitting on a bike with an L rider..

is it the actual bike i dont trust anymore? god knows ..............
Tension mate? Next time you're out riding try and waggle your elbows, especially in a corner. A guy said that to me on a track day. Turned out my arms were locked solid.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by freeridenick on Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMCQ46

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by AMCQ46 »

For me the only crashes that get into my head were the ones I cant find an explanation for. As long as I can work out what I did wrong, or what failed, then I can process the lesson and go straight back to speed. But if I can’t work it out, it niggles at my mind that it could happen again because I can’t control it.

Sounds a bit like that has happened to you …. Well that and the fact that we don’t bounce so well at our age
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: what have you done to your

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:15 pm
sirch345 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:27 pm
fabiostar wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:34 pm Had a wee ride on one of them..start 24 proper.Image

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk
You're putting some of us to shame Rob :crazy:

I'm amazed you're out again, well done. Bike is looking great 8) 8)

Chris.
its a case of getting back on the horse, now this riding bikes iv been doing for a while, like since 7 years of age but that crash was different, its strange but it feels weird riding again, god knows why, not like i havnt crashed before :lol: but it just feels different, kinda like riding with no feel for whats going on under me :wtf: .

i thought it was just me but a few weeks ago was out with a passenger and at the coffee stop said passenger actually said to me, wtf you at the day? it was described to me like sitting on a bike with an L rider..

is it the actual bike i dont trust anymore? god knows ..............
You're bound to feel wary back on the bike you had the off on, you wouldn't be human if you didn't. I think Al's post above summed it up well.

How did you feel when out on the Moriwaki bike very recently ?

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

All very good points lads... well iv been out on the blue girl a few short spins and honestly it wasnt any better, not that i didnt trust it like the peg but just riding like a end of a bell, running into corners or braking to early or just not looking what i was doing 8O ....

now iv jumped of bikes before and twice at over 80mph but you just dust yourself of and get back on the horse, iv got back on the horse but i think iv got back on and im sitting backwards :eek2 . hard to explain but im all fingers and thumbs atm..

iv thought about it a fair bit after the rides and the main thing seems to be, i start of fine and ten miles down the road im looking round me and simply not paying attention then its sh1t a corner, or sh1t were did that car come from, :whatever
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Fabio... Focus my Man Focus.

This is from a man who due to bone crunching episodes meaning prolonged periods of not riding, it does take a bit of time to get back into the swing of things. When I was commuting with no other form of transport it was a case of a few rides before getting back to the norm.

These days with a cage to go to work in I'm riding less anyway...

No choice tomorrow The Murvinator is off for it's yearly tickle at the MOT station...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

When i checked the KTM valve clearances all 4 exhaust valves were pretty tight on the 0.25mm feeler gauge, which is bottom spec, and I had told myself that it would be fine till next service and was going to to build it back up when the 4 spark plugs arrived.

Bad move having too much thinking time!!!!!! It is a sh1t load of hassle to get this far into the guts of the beast, and for a bit more work I could get the clearances up to top limit…. So that’s what I have started!

Front cam out and now waiting for the new shims so I can reset them, then it will be onto the even tighter constraints of the rear cyl head.

This is what a KTM oil & spring powered CCT looks like.
KTM CCT
KTM CCT
The front head
Front head
Front head
Looks slim without the tank
Naked
Naked
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:43 pm All very good points lads... well iv been out on the blue girl a few short spins and honestly it wasnt any better, not that i didnt trust it like the peg but just riding like a end of a bell, running into corners or braking to early or just not looking what i was doing 8O ....

now iv jumped of bikes before and twice at over 80mph but you just dust yourself of and get back on the horse, iv got back on the horse but i think iv got back on and im sitting backwards :eek2 . hard to explain but im all fingers and thumbs atm..

iv thought about it a fair bit after the rides and the main thing seems to be, i start of fine and ten miles down the road im looking round me and simply not paying attention then its sh1t a corner, or sh1t were did that car come from, :whatever
Give yourself some more time before making a decision Rob, may be see what things are like when the better weather is here again so the tyres get warmed up properly, not like it is now this time of year :?:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm When i checked the KTM valve clearances all 4 exhaust valves were pretty tight on the 0.25mm feeler gauge, which is bottom spec, and I had told myself that it would be fine till next service and was going to to build it back up when the 4 spark plugs arrived.

Bad move having too much thinking time!!!!!! It is a sh1t load of hassle to get this far into the guts of the beast, and for a bit more work I could get the clearances up to top limit…. So that’s what I have started!

Front cam out and now waiting for the new shims so I can reset them, then it will be onto the even tighter constraints of the rear cyl head.

This is what a KTM oil & spring powered CCT looks like.
IMG_4889.jpeg

The front head
IMG_4887.jpeg

Looks slim without the tank
IMG_4882.jpeg
Flippin' 'eck man nothing holding you back Al :lol:

Some profile on those cam lobes 8O 8)

I can see though why you have decided to do the valve clearances while you're that close :wink:
I hope it all goes to plan :thumbup:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:43 pm All very good points lads... well iv been out on the blue girl a few short spins and honestly it wasnt any better, not that i didnt trust it like the peg but just riding like a end of a bell, running into corners or braking to early or just not looking what i was doing 8O ....

I think it’s time to quit Rob…. Can i have first dibs on both the Moriwaki rep and the LC? :lol:
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Took The Murvinator for it's annual tickle from the MOT man.

All good for another year. :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Looked at the LC today, thats all just looked, still gathering bits up for it.

looked at the peg..

started the big girl and let it run upto temp so the fan cut in twice, looked at it ,

then sat down, all go in the cave today :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:31 pm Looked at the LC today, thats all just looked, still gathering bits up for it.

looked at the peg..

started the big girl and let it run upto temp so the fan cut in twice, looked at it ,

That's better than what I did, I had to take a load of junk to the local tip today, at least the sun was shinning for a change :lol:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:29 pm
fabiostar wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:31 pm Looked at the LC today, thats all just looked, still gathering bits up for it.

looked at the peg..

That's better than what I did, I had to take a load of junk to the local tip today, at least the sun was shinning for a change :lol:

Chris.
the local tip can be great :lol: as long as the local tip nazis dont see you lol..

well today i dragged the peg out stuck another few miles on it, went from bright sunshine to my visor freezing shut :eek2 . but was actually nice.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:48 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:29 pm

looked at the peg..

Chris.
the local tip can be great :lol: as long as the local tip nazis dont see you lol..

well today i dragged the peg out stuck another few miles on it, went from bright sunshine to my visor freezing shut :eek2 . but was actually nice.
:lol: :lol: I have been caught by them before years ago at another tip :crazy:

Glad you had a better ride-out this time on the Peg :thumbup:

Chris.
ItsaKeeper

Post by ItsaKeeper »

Not sure if this qualifies as what I have done, more like what I might be able to do in the future :D

I got an immaculate NOS Honda Service manual delivered from the USA today as a crimbo present to myself. Already have various pdf versions of the manual but I find it easier to read in book form then print off the pdf pages when I am doing actual work.

The total cost including all fees was £64 which I think is very reasonable. I know that Helm Inc can do a brand new reprint for around $50 but the postal costs are eyewatering as is the cost for me to go and collect from the States :lol:

The manual covers the firestorm up to 2004 so will do me fine :thumbup: