Jetting

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Donut 77

Jetting

Post by Donut 77 »

I have a 170 and a 172 by the looks of it. Very hard to see.

Also the main jet tubes are slightly different hole patterns. Same layout and number of holes, just moved along the tube. See pic.

Can someone point me in the right direction of which goes with which and where? I’m assuming that the 172 is a slightly bigger opening and would go on the rear to run it richer, but which tube/pattern does it screw on and if you can explain why that would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Donut 77 on Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
tony.mon

Re: Jetting

Post by tony.mon »

The ones in your picture are the pilot jets, not the main jets.
They definitely aren't 170 and 172!

Those ones should either be 40 or 45 or something like that.

Haven't you got a Haynes manual?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

These ARE the main jets. They have a threaded part which goes in the top, which are marked 170 & 172.

The pilot jets are much smaller and both marked 45.

I do have a Haynes, thanks. I also have a forum with many very knowledgeable people who are willing to save each other time by helping.. 👍
Last edited by Donut 77 on Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Fair enough, I haven't pulled one of those apart for a long time.
Perhaps someone else can have a go.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

This is the link for you, see photo 21 ish down I think from the top: https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopi ... rb#p214521
IMG_0070.jpeg
Chris.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Awesome, thanks Chris. That’s solved it. So the tube that houses the main jet is actually called the emulsion tube. The rear one has the higher number jet as std and the holes furthest from the thread.

Good man 👍
Last edited by Donut 77 on Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Donut 77 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:47 pm Awesome, thanks Chris. That’s solved it. So the tube that houses the main jet is actually called the emulsion tube. The rear one has the higher number as std and the holes furthest from the thread.

Good man 👍
That's how I understand it :thumbup:

Normally going on it's good practice to keep all the parts from the front carb in a pot of it's own, and the same for the rear carb, also marking each pot before you start stripping the carbs down,

Chris.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Yes, I do try to. The issue with this bike is that I had to buy a second pair of carbs, and on both sets the previous owners have put things wherever they felt like, so I don’t always trust my starting point. The emulsion tubes were the wrong way around. So were the velocity stacks in the airbox. I basically don’t trust anything now.

That write up is very handy though Chris. Thanks, as always.

Btw I do always try and search the forum before asking.. sometimes there’s too much stuff and I just need a quick answer from someone on here who will either know straight off or remember a previous post from long before I joined. I guess this will be true for many of us - we haven’t all been storm owners or even bikers for long.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Donut 77 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:24 pm Yes, I do try to. The issue with this bike is that I had to buy a second pair of carbs, and on both sets the previous owners have put things wherever they felt like, so I don’t always trust my starting point. The emulsion tubes were the wrong way around. So were the velocity stacks in the airbox. I basically don’t trust anything now.

That write up is very handy though Chris. Thanks, as always.

Btw I do always try and search the forum before asking.. sometimes there’s too much stuff and I just need a quick answer from someone on here who will either know straight off or remember a previous post from long before I joined. I guess this will be true for many of us - we haven’t all been storm owners or even bikers for long.
You’re doing well 👍👍

I know what you mean about a lot of threads/topic's to sift through :lol:
I remembered someone posting up a photo of the difference between front and rear emulsion tubes, I just had to remember where, although in the end it came to me who did that, so that narrowed it down a bit.

You’re right though, you can’t always go by secondhand parts if someone else has pulled it apart and resembled it before you get it, the same applies here as you found out on the bike. It’s not like you’re working on a brand new bike where everything is where it should be,

Chris.