Tyre deflated…

General Bike chat
Smudger27

Tyre deflated…

Post by Smudger27 »

It’s an eventful return to bickering so far, from speeding over two weeks ago to last Thursday having a rapid deflation of the rear tyre at about 70mph.
On the way back from work in Salisbury, to see my lady in Weymouth, and as I came to the end of the Dorchester bypass I felt the bike wobble- like I was on a road work rut if you get me. This didn’t clear over a few seconds so I throttled off and came to a stand still, looking down confirmed I had a flat rear tyre. 19:50 or so at night and 11 miles from home. It was a hot night too, great! Taking stock of where I was I realised Tesco and petrol station was about 2 miles up the road so I rode at about 15 mph the two miles to the station, being aware of the road surface for pot holes. Finally reached the petrol station and managed to find a low point in the tarmac- with tyre flat the bike wanted to fall over away from side stand.
Tyre was still on the rim but very flat, so I went and bought some tyre weld- that did bugger all. So found the hole which was 90° from the valve so put the hole at the bottom and bought a larger can with intention of the foam sealer to cover the hole. Well that was pissing in the wind, the sealant just flowed out across the floor.
I elected to ride the 8miles to Esther’s house which frustratingly was up and down hills.
8 miles is a friggin long way at 10 mph! The hot evening certainly confirmed the rad fans worked.
Then about half mile from home, and wobbling along the housing back roads, I must have clipped a rut as I felt the tyre really break its bead. And typical it was up hill. Walking speed on a slithering snake.
Rim only a little chipped in places, mostly paint, propped a table platform leg under the right handle bar to steady and bike was safely home. Next day, Friday, I ordered a tyre and tubeless repair kit for under the seat and borrowed a mates paddock stand.
Yesterday I had the tyre fitted and rim looked at. All was good thankfully
Test ride yesterday evening and all is spot on.

sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Tyre deflated…

Post by sirch345 »

At least you managed to stay upright :clap: :clap:

A good idea carrying a puncture repair kit with you in the future I agree :thumbup:

Chris.
Smudger27

Post by Smudger27 »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:19 pm At least you managed to stay upright :clap: :clap:

A good idea carrying a puncture repair kit with you in the future I agree :thumbup:

Chris.
So behind the times, I always thought they were gimmicky but they do actually work I’ve be told from a few mates.
Now to calm down and enjoy the bike!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

lucky escape could have ended up much worse...i had the same type of thing a few months ago on my aprilia. to get me home i used tyre foam but found a dirty big wood screw and screwed that into the trye then another foam, worked the very best and got me the 30 miles home :D :D .

on a nearly new road 5 :confused .
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

I've got tubes in my tyres, so no idea what I would do
Carrying tyre levers not possible. No center stand either.
it may be clever, but its not big.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

RAINMAKER wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:55 pm I've got tubes in my tyres, so no idea what I would do
Carrying tyre levers not possible. No center stand either.
You got wire spoked wheels then Paul :?:

Chris.
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Yes, spoke wheels, look nice, but downside will be risk of flats. I know I can get spoked wheels turned in to tubeless. But it's expensive.
Still remember when everyone had tubes.
it may be clever, but its not big.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

RAINMAKER wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:34 pm Yes, spoke wheels, look nice, but downside will be risk of flats. I know I can get spoked wheels turned in to tubeless. But it's expensive.
Still remember when everyone had tubes.
Me too :)

Chris.