Brake calliper question/s

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Harry VTR

Brake calliper question/s

Post by Harry VTR »

Hi all! Proud owner of a 1997 completely stock, as rolled out of the factory firestorm with just over 22k on the clock. Last summer I routinely had some new brake pads fitted, and while I didn’t have any problems before they were fitted I subsequently had issues with the brakes binding so much so that up on a front paddock stand i couldn’t spin the front wheel a full turn.

Not mechanically minded myself I had the callipers rebuilt by a local mechanic, who said they seemed in good order, but ended up with minor contact on one of the discs as it spun but otherwise free movement of the wheel about the disc. However since a recent track day the brakes are binding again and while not as bad as before I’m unsure they can be run indefinitely.

I have a three fold question. Firstly is it ok to run the brakes binding slightly and if so to what degree? I realise on track they could boil the brake fluid but is that a same risk on the road. And then is it worth getting the stock Nissin’s rebuilt again or should I look for a replacement? And if so so what is the best/ easiest replacement?

Appreciate any help in advance!
tony.mon

Re: Brake calliper question/s

Post by tony.mon »

It sounds like the problem is not with the calipers but in the way they and the wheel was remounted after the pad change.

You say there is slight interference. The slot in each caliper should sit centrally over the disc, if it's not then you may have either lost a wheel spacer or fitted them the wrong way round.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Acke

Post by Acke »

I recently had this issue with the brakes dragging. Solved it by firstly making sure the pistons moved freely(which I'm sure yours so...)
Then I follower the wheel/caliper installation from the manual.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

As posted above make sure the wheel is tightened up in the correct order, assuming all the pistons in the calipers are free. if needs be remove the master and give it a really good clean inside and blow it out, they have a little return hole inside than can block easily and that will stip the pads returning to there home postion.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
xeris

Post by xeris »

This is the little hole. As you can see there is still a speck og goo remaining after a cleaning and replacing the seals.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

The main issues with binding brakes, apart from making the bike harder to push around, will be the bike feeling like it is wanting to tip into a corner due to the draggin brake and, if it left too long, warped disks due to overheating which you will start to feel through the bars as a flapping of the bars.

The usual suspect with dragging/binding brakes are the sticky pistons in the calipers. I got into the habit of giving my calipers a good clean at least a couple of times a year when I was commuting all year round and periodically replacing the seals when cleaning wasn't enough.

I've written a couple on articles on another site which may be of interest -
https://www.aberdeenbikers.co.uk/brake-cleaning/
https://www.aberdeenbikers.co.uk/brake- ... placement/

With regards to allignment, the Firestorm uses 4-pot front calipers so if the pistons are fully back in the calipers with the pads installed and the wheel turns freely then there is no allignent issue. As the pads extend they will reach equilibrium point on both sides. If you get binding at that point then it is doen to a sticky piston or potentially something to do with the lines/master cylinder.

However, as you say you had your calipers stripped and serviced recently then hopefully it is nothing to do with the calipers and could be the master cylinder that is not releasing pressure somehow.

Al.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Whilst having fun and braking increasingly late at Snettetton, my brake pistons seized. I overshot the hairpin and as I released and tried to get back online my front wheel washed out. Fortunately it was the hairpin and I was going slow.

The warning signs were there. The front wheel wouldn't spin freely when putting the warmers on and it was difficult to push around too.

All pistons were corroded and a couple had to be pressed out as they were stuck solid. I purchased new pistons and had them serviced.

It was just after having my fairings painting too

It's important to do the simple front wheel spin to check for any binding and then service them if they don't spin freely.

Another important lesson learned.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

No bike (yet).