Coolant leak

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Stormin Ben

Coolant leak

Post by Stormin Ben »

Question for the group's collective wisdom

Question:
Is there any other reason for the water pump seal to go, other than a faulty seal or a duff installation?

Background:
Last year the water pump oil seal started leaking on my beastie (brown streaks from the vent hole on the front of the right crankcase
I removed the cover and handed it over to my local Honda dealership to replace it
Turned out the water pump shaft and water pump seal were dodgy too (saw the evidence with my own eyes) so I had those replaced at the same time

One year one and the water seal is now leaking 

I went back into the dealer and asked them about it, (hopefully with the intention of them fixing it for nowt  )
They said there must be some other reason and rather than me bringing in the cover, they want the whole bike in

I sense a bigger bill than just the £35 its gonna cost me for a new seal, hence the original question
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Dont know about seals failing but while doing my research before getting my (ex) storm I came accross a review in Used Bike Guide in which is mentioned failing water pumps. Never heard of one myself though :roll:

http://www.usedbikeguide.com/reviews/honda17.htm

Not really much help, am I ?
Rich.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Ben I could be talking out of my rear, but there must be bearings in the water pump as well as the seal, perhaps a bearing has failed causing it to damage the seal, or seal damaged when fitted and let water get to the bearings, only my thoughts :!:

Chris.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

From memory yes there is a bearing inside the case, maybe they should have changed that too last year. You could try that angle. You got the case off, if so then you should see the bearing. the case should be dowelled too, check they are in as thats what centres the case properly.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Ben, I just had a look at the w/shop manual, from that it would appear that the seals were fitted OK, if it's been fine since last year :!: