Funny noise. Not CCT (I think).

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

It's probably the camchain, does it sound like an anvil, done a few bikes in the past with stretched camchains, you can tell as the timing marks will be out. Try a new cct to start with I guess. If the cct retracted more than about 5-7mm then it would skip teeth.

If it is the chain once it's been replaced the sound will go totally.
StevePJ

Post by StevePJ »

When i put it back last time it was quiet as anything, and running like a dream.

Then this morning it's back. It's not too loud, but enough to tell you that there is a problem.

One question though. When i replaced the CCT i wound the 'worm' out as far as i practically could, then wound the spring back in and locked it before putting the CCT back.

Was this correct, or should i have left more play on the 'worm'.

Could this be the prob?
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

not sure what you are saying about the cct, you mean when you replaced the spring.
StevePJ

Post by StevePJ »

Sorry but i'm not very good at describing things am I

When i replaced the spring on the CCT, i had no benchmark as the previous spring was bust.
So i screwed the thread on the CCT out as far as i could, then preloaded the spring before locking into place and refitting. Then i removed the locking tab to allow the sprint to expand.

However, last night i fashioned up a longer bolt to go in the rear of the old CCT, and that seems to have made a difference. Run it up ok, then took it out for a leisurely spin this morning and all seems well..

Fingers crossed...
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

The longer bolt would (if it does not seat on the outer cct case) just (sort of but not properly) lock the cct into position. If it has not seated then the cct will piss oil out as it gets collected due to the angle and gravity.

You sure the timing marks are lining up ok, it's the mark and the letters (both of them on the flywheel) that have to be central in the inspection window, not just the mark. check it cos it may have stretched a bit. If it has stretched abit then the exhaust timing marks on the cam wheel will be slightly inside (lower than) the head and the inlet will be proud (higher than that) of the head (head = level machined flat area), this is for rear only.
StevePJ

Post by StevePJ »

delmeekc wrote:The longer bolt would (if it does not seat on the outer cct case) just (sort of but not properly) lock the cct into position. If it has not seated then the cct will piss oil out as it gets collected due to the angle and gravity.

You sure the timing marks are lining up ok, it's the mark and the letters (both of them on the flywheel) that have to be central in the inspection window, not just the mark. check it cos it may have stretched a bit. If it has stretched abit then the exhaust timing marks on the cam wheel will be slightly inside (lower than) the head and the inlet will be proud (higher than that) of the head (head = level machined flat area), this is for rear only.
Not losing any oil, but did use a rubber washer to seal...Have ground the head down to fit into the bac of the CCT to stop it 'loosening' off. So far, so good.

Timing marks spot on. Had to reset the timing on Sun, but now, fingers crossed she is working and sounding fine.........
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

be careful if it has semi locked the cct because if it does move then it will stay retracted because of the bolt. The main time the cct is under pressure is when the throttle is shut off at high revs to engine break as the crank is then working on the opposite side of the cam chain pushing against the cct.