Funny noise. Not CCT (I think).

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
StevePJ

Funny noise. Not CCT (I think).

Post by StevePJ »

Well, this has me baffled.

Had a bit of rattling form the rear camchain on the Firestorm last weekend, so i took the tensioner out and replaced the spring in it. Did it properly with the rocker cover off to make sure i didn't disturb the timing.

Anyway, she had been riding tickety boo until this morning.

Started her up ok, but as i pulled away at low revs another rattle, but not quite the same as the Camchain. After a short while it stops when i am at idle, then if i pull away it starts agai. Then after a bit it stopped completly!!
Have checked my chain, all ok. All the mounting bolts ont eh exhaust are ok, so i have no idea.

Now the Storms need regular carb balancing, but it really sounds like a noise insode the engine.

Valve clearances done less that 1000 miles ago.

Help please as i don't want to use the bike until i have got this sorted out.....
StevePJ

Post by StevePJ »

Thanks.

Have been lurking for a bit......

Yep, Changed the front as well.........
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Steve how did you go about working out the correct tension when fitting the new spring :?: Also is this rattle you heard before changing the spring the same rattle as you are hearing now with the new spring fitted:?:

Chris.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Sometimes explanations for odd sounds is fantastically simple.
On my way back from France this year - odd sound, quite loud, like something catching something and rattling somewhere around middle of bike, but only when moving. Nothing at idle. Sound became progressively worse, but bike ran fine.
Arrived home, first thing removed front sprocket cover afraid that sprocket tooth broke off.
It was piece of dry bitumen with piece of stone stuck in it sealed by (!!!!!) rubber piece from edge of the my petrol tank. God knows how it got there.

Check what's under front sprocket cover. Just be careful and do not move clutch lever while cover is off. I hope I will not embarass myself by giving such stupid advice! :wink:
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
StevePJ

Post by StevePJ »

sirch345 wrote:Steve how did you go about working out the correct tension when fitting the new spring :?: Also is this rattle you heard before changing the spring the same rattle as you are hearing now with the new spring fitted:?:

Chris.
The spring was knackered in the rear so no tension so all i could do was wind in fully. However, the bike has run fine all last week, only today has this noise started, and it's really weird that it doesn't always do it at idle, which i would have expected a CCT problem to do and then disappear at revs, not the other way round.
StevePJ

Post by StevePJ »

Oh and i forgot to mentio, she doesn't seem to be running as well as normal, not quite as responsive. Nothing that makes me sit up and really notice, just a slight dro off.

All valves are ok and no other strange noises.

All ideas gratefully received.
StevePJ

Post by StevePJ »

Well got it sorted. Whipped the rear rocker cover off (after the tank and all) to find that the chain was not as tight as it should be. There was hardly any pressure from the CCT and i think it was me that didn't put it in correctly....

Anyhow, as i take it of, click, click and the bloomin chain jumps off the cams. So i then had to have along read of the Honda manual and sort out the timing.

So i set the timing up on the front cylinder after taking the camshafts out of the rear. Then replaced the rear camshafts with the timing marks in the right position. Tightened up all the bolts to the correct torque. Replaced the rear CCT and preloaded the spring. Turned it over by the flywheel, and all seemed ok. Put the tank back on, took a deep breath, clenched me buttocks and pressed the starter...

Purring like a kitten.......

Methinks i will invest in maual tensioners now though. I know they can be a bugger to tension, but no worse than what i have just gone through eh!
pmcq

Post by pmcq »

Good man Steve! Did the similar job myself a few weeks ago. Bringing your finger to press that starter is tense but the grin when it runs ok is great! :)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Steve,
Pleased too hear you've got it sorted with no dire consequences :!: That was exactly why I asked that question in my last post ' Steve how did you go about working out the correct tension when fitting the new spring' I bet you're glad too :?: :wink: :D

Chris.
StevePJ

Post by StevePJ »

sirch345 wrote:Hi Steve,
Pleased too hear you've got it sorted with no dire consequences :!: That was exactly why I asked that question in my last post ' Steve how did you go about working out the correct tension when fitting the new spring' I bet you're glad too :?: :wink: :D

Chris.
I am, but the problem is, because there was not tension on the old one, i had no benchmark. So all i can do is have the thread out as far as it can (almost) and wind the spring in fully....

Thanks
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

I think manual tensionsers are the unltimate answer.

I made some for mine and haven't had a problem since.

I also replaced the springs but didn't apply sufficient tension when replacing the rear. It worked well for a while, but after a particulaly ferocious session (returning from Donnington MotoGP) I got the dreaded rattle.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

The nice thing about manual tensioners is
if you do hear a little wrattle you don't have to worry, nothings going to go bang :lol:
Just loosen of the lock nut and tighten the bolt up abuot 1/8th of a turn 8)

Pete.l
StevePJ

Post by StevePJ »

Right thats it.....

Totally pee'd off now.

Bike was running like a dream. Balanced the carbs, tucked it up in bed every night and read it story and this is how it thanks me...

Go to take it out today, and the bloomin rattle from the rear is back. So after kicking the cat repeatedly, i have come to the conclusion that the CCT muct be defunct, not just the spring.

There is either no adjustment left in it, or (god i hope not) the Camchain is stretched, although she has been running ok. Please guys, tell me you think its the CCT thats had it......

I have ordered a replacement CCT from David Silver's. I was going to go with the manual route, but i am not too happy about tensioning etc.

Now when it arrives it should be preset with the stopper tool already in place, yes?

I just change it as i woud normally and remove the tool?
dookie

Post by dookie »

The little tool that comes with it m8 is crap and very easy to slip out when unwinding and let the cct unwind with a bang , i cut down a little screwdriver and taped it up so when it was in place i could release the spring nice and slow , if the spring cant be sprung a few times without hurting it then they truly are sh1t :evil:
In fact i think its nigh on inpossible to unwind it gently with the tool suplied as you need to pull it a bit to unlock it and it then has about 1mm left in the tensioner and slips out.
There was a time i used to care
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

It's probably the camchain, does it sound like an anvil, done a few bikes in the past with stretched camchains, you can tell as the timing marks will be out. Try a new cct to start with I guess. If the cct retracted more than about 5-7mm then it would skip teeth.

If it is the chain once it's been replaced the sound will go totally.