Another CCT gone!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
baldzone

Another CCT gone!

Post by baldzone »

Just replaced the front CCT after braking down on Tuesday 70 miles from home hoping that all the problem was is the CCT.

However, after popping off the front valve cover and noting the timing is well out I noticed the inlet cam follower (assuming thats what it is being about an inch in diameter) not moving back up with the cam when I turn the engine manually. Only noticed once I'd set the timing and fitted the CCT.

Please tell me this is not a bent valve! Or worse! :evil:
dookie

Post by dookie »

Bad luck m8 got to admit it dont sound good
There was a time i used to care
baldzone

Post by baldzone »

I'll be whipping the head off in the morning to see how much damage it has done. Looks like I'll be looking for a cheapo runaround for a while! :roll:
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

or not, i have a standard head if you need one, with the cams too as you need really to change the whole lot.
baldzone

Post by baldzone »

Thanks delmeekc, I may just take you up on that once I've seen how much damage is done.

Is it worth replacing the rear CCT while I'm at it? No idea how long thats been in there!
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

If the front head is coming off I would give it a full going over, so yes. Make sure you have a good set of torque wrenches for doing the whole job, checking the shims and bolting the head back on. Follow the workshop manual and should all be ok.
dookie

Post by dookie »

I think at £26 each anybody doing any major work or big service like the 16000m one would be wise to change both cts.
baldzone

Post by baldzone »

Couple of pics for you....

What are the chances of having damage the valve guides?

Looking at the piston damage (ringed) what are the chances of that failing in the near future?
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

err dunno, dunno. have new piston too and maybe a new rod too plus the complete head.

It's one of those, well it's made marks and some thing has to give, piston is soft, valve stems are v thin, up to you but it's alot of work to put it all together, plus the expense, gaskets, oil, fluid and why take the chance.

I wouldn't but hey I want to sell you some bits.
dookie

Post by dookie »

If it was me id buy the head of delmeekc and stick it on and try it , from personal experiance ive run pistons with much more damage than that and if there was a fight beetween a conrod and a valve i know who my money would be on to bend 8O
baldzone

Post by baldzone »

Got the valves out and as you can see from the picture...

Still not sure whether to risk it with just new valves and a CCT. Will have a bit of research and ask some experts.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Not a pretty site 8O
dookie

Post by dookie »

I think if you look carefully theres a slight kink near the bottom 8O
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

what does the guides in the head look like, looking up the port where the valve was. That's had a fair wack mate. stress to bend the valve would be on cam journals and piston against the small end and possibly big end shells.
baldzone

Post by baldzone »

The guides look fine, as do the cams and associated components.

My old man races pre 60 singles and has similar sized pistons with worse damage from bent valves that have been reused and are still going strong umpteen years later.

I'll be speaking to a chap tomorrow who had a TL1000 that dropped a valve and see how much damage that caused. I know he reused the piston in question and it kept running with a lot more damage than what is on mine.

Until then I'm still undecided on what to do!