Firestorm newbie Qss

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
chaz

Firestorm newbie Qss

Post by chaz »

Hi, newbie here. been riding bikes for 30 years generally happy with Hondas but gave up after the first of the blades wouldnt do over 120mph!! went red to Ducati 851 and did 750 miles in 4 years!!
now question, my eldest has passed his test and got a Suzuki bandit 600, I rode it home (hasnt started since but another story!!).
Now, I feel like another big twin.

can any one tell me what they feel about a 2000 firestorm?
reliable, recalls, problems, faults?
got to consider her indoors wants to get back on the back as well now the boys are old enough.

may be posted in the wrong section but general motor or workshop questions need answering before I buy, thanks
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

I absolutely love mine.

Some issues are lower tank range compared to some bikes, the 2000 model has a 16 litre tank. Some people have problems with Cam Chain Tensioners failing which can be an expensive repair. Some have had Regulator / Rectifier faults.

Keep on top of the servicing and general looking after though, and it is a Honda after all, so I'm not expecting any major problems with mine.

Common mods include swapping the R/R for an R6 or R1 one as these handle loads much better. Swapping the stock suspension (front very soft, rear very hard) for fettled with items or replacing them. VFR swingarms and Fireblade front ends are popular for serious modders. Some mod on a larger tank such as the one from the VFR. Dynojet kits and K&N air filters improve performance slightly and improve fueling quite a bit. Of course, race pipes are the way to go on a big twin :)

It is a sporty bike, so whilst pillions are possible, you might not want to be touring to France on it 2 up. The rear pegs are quite high and there's no grabrail as standard (though there are several aftermarket ones made)

Great fun, fast enough for anyone and a bike with a personality.

I can't fault it really. Yes it's not the absolutely perfect bike, but all of them have their little foibles, so the 'Storm isn't any worse.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Max

Post by Max »

I have a 2000 storm, had it 2 1/2 years and its been 100% reliable. Just came back from a jaunt in North Spain 1700 miles in a week didn't even have to adjust the chain.
If the CCT thing is an issue, if you have been riding for 30 years you will remember manual CCT's, they are available and don't require much adjustment.
With a little fettling its posible to improve fuel economy and get 100 miles to the fuel light on a 16 litre tank, I find when riding with my mates on their little 600's they have to stop and stretch their bums more often than that.
The front forks are soft, Roger at revolution can rework them for about £200 and they are good then. Front brakes can lack a bit of bite.

An Excellent very underated bike, ride one and you will see.
Max

chaz

Post by chaz »

thanks for the replies so far :D

so its the usual cam chain tensioners that have allways dogged the big H then.
Kitch, am I to understand that the Yam R1 R6 box is compatible then? is there anything else that has to be done like connectors?/ are the wires coloured the same?? funny enough Ive got a thundercat front end on my Harley sportster, now it stops!!

would I be better off looking at a SP1 or the earlier one as I heard the later TL 1200 Suzi is better than the early1000 one.

so far Ive seen a couple in a showroom and pondering a laid up 2000 or a '98 with noisy big ends. just thinking is it cheaper to repair one at the right price or just save a bit more for the right one. Reckon on around 2 grand at the mo as Ive got 2 Harleys and a 600 Bandit in the garage all waiting repair and dont want to miss too much sun :oops:
chaz

Post by chaz »

Ok update time.. yesterday, sunday,
black storm p reg with 30k on the clock a 12 month ticket for £1400.
engine sounds fine, just a bit worried about the CCT posts people are now posting, is it an easy job to do, I know Honda had/have a reputation for CCT trouble.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Congratulations! 30 K exactly about time to change CCT. They don't cost much and it's easy job. Do it and sleep well for another 30 K. Get CCTs marked with orange dot - those are latest reincarnation.

About VTR...you know, I have friend (now in Australia) - great guy, once he bought old Czech Java 250 from 1965 and rode it with his friend (old man, have same model Jawa) to Nord Cap from Kiev, Ukraine.

When he went to Oz he asked me if I can recommend him a bike, that will keep him smiling, will behave a bit like "old real bikes" and that will have a bit of a soul, just like old Britts. But it should be reliable. I adviced him to try many bikes, amongst them Storm. He got Storm, riding it and he is really loving that bike - for being very much of what he wanted, contemporary reliable bike with a bit of feeling and soul of "real bikes" :)

Oh man, I just read what I wrote.... I am really getting old....my God! This what happens when your wife expect third kid and you sitting "on needles" all the time ready to grab her and run to hospital any time now! :lol:
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
chaz

Post by chaz »

As I started a Qss post, will later 2000 up cans fit on a 97 , is it a straight swap (with brackets) to fit the hi level cans?
kevg

Post by kevg »

i think all the firestorm cansand system are the same accross the board.

high level are an aftermarket add on, and again i think they fit all models
cheerz

kev