wheelie help...once again...

General Bike chat
smokin joes

Post by smokin joes »

Ahh the old "how to see round the side" trick, just learned this one myself,

I notice from your picture that you are leaning quite forward, try sitting more "vertical" on the bike. OK, to see round the side, if you turn your bars VERY SLIGHTLY to the left, the bike will lean to the left !! Aloowing you to see past the tank / clocks etc, you do have to lean out as well, This might sound silly but trust me it works, OPEN YOUR LEGS !!!, honestly, I have found lots more stability with my legs spread wide open (Like a seaside whore when the fleets in dock) it gives you width you see, watch the GP guys etc, they all do it !! like a tightrope walkers pole.

As far as stoppies go, I'm crap at it, check tyre pressures, warm them up and practice, Bens advice is perfect, works for me.
Geoff M

How do I get my knee down ???
Sex is like air. It only becomes really important when you aren't getting any.
BP team

Post by BP team »

Thank you everyone.
smokin joes, i'm not sure to have understood all you meant coz of my translation (i don't know the mean of several words, no one teach me to talk about bikes and wheelies when i was at school!).
I'll try to open my knees a little from the tank and to lean a little my head and my shoulders.

Ben, i don't know the weight i have on the pegs when i try stoppies. but it's a good advice, i'll be carrefull with it. moreover I don't give a harder brake application after having already braked hard. i brake hard more and more too regularly

Then brake hard and as you feel the weight transfer more and more to the front wheel, squeeze a little bit more brake on
For stoppies i just want to make distance (10meters will be already good!) but you can see there "http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/gallery/88.jpg " that i manage to lift up the rear wheel.

I will try your advices and will let you know if it works for me.
see you! :lol:
Oliv'
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Ah ha, at last something i can do....getting the knee down.......

i've perfected that.........(spent the last 3 months aiming at the largest local r.bout at full speed, and thowing the bike over........

i've found that if you're like me (6'1) or similar, it's actually quite difficult cos of the angle your legs hang at, but just cruise into a corner, get your cheeks off the seat, (you need to get right off, with just the smallest part of one left on the seat), get your toes as high on the pegs as possible, and just let your leg drop.....

It'll automatically fall down towards the ground, and provided you're off far enough, hey presto.....

(before you enter the corner, make sure your in a gear that will provide enough puff to get all the way around without having to change up so you can ride it out......)

to practise, leave the bike on the side stand, and try hanging off as far as you can, using the shape of the tank to dig your other knee into to hold you on.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

smokin joes wrote:How do I get my knee down ???
Get some longer legs you midget!! :-)
:lol:

Ben
BP team

Post by BP team »

smokin joes,
i manage to put my knee down one or 2 months ago without really voluntarily doing it. i just took a curve at the max speed i could (180kmh>100mph i think).
it's just a question of speed. if you want to take the curb, you 've to take some angle with the bike. if not your 'rein the swump...
as you told me, taking some angle is just a question of feeling (like the high of the front wheel in wheelies....).
put one or 1,5 buttock on the saddle. have some torque but not too much (if you've too much torque you've to begently with the throttle...)
a great r.bout is a good idee to try it as he told you. during the night coz the spectators like to see the sparks of puttings feet before the knee rubs!

just try it's a question of speed and it's easiest than making wheelies.... (as for me), but my knee don't rubs more than 1seconde, may be it's more difficult to make it 5 secondes...

oliv'

enjoy
oliv' :wink:
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

You are all so "childish"!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Got to go now it all sounds great fun, I will have to go and practice being a child. :P

I have only had it up a few times away from the lights and crapped my self.

This weeks home work WEELIE WEELIE WEELIE

Well all the young children are back at school.

Us grown up children need to play as well!!!!!
twinbrd

Post by twinbrd »

AHHHH, THE KNEE....I started this post about wheelies and ened up getting way off track myself, I still can't wheelie, so I put some effort into knee dragging....

First day I rode track, the knee went down, now I am hooked, draggin it all over the place. Speed does help, but body position is most important and slower speed turns will work as well, just as long as you can throw the bike down far. I was already riding to the WAY outer edge of my tire and could not figure out why it would not go down. You must really exagerate the body position, hang WAY off and just point the knee out and lean hard, it will touch. Someone on this board gave me some good advice....don't constantly think "I GOTTA TOUCH MY KNEE", it will happen when you are not thinking about it, and DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR KNEE.
KEVUSVTR

US (California Model)

Post by KEVUSVTR »

Hello Everyone. I'm a visitor from the far land of California.

I have read your posts about the 2nd gear wheelie and to be honest...my bike just won't come up. It may be the fact that it is still a stock 2002 model with all the California "don't screw the environment equipment" but 2nd gear will not rise. I can power shift out of 1st and it will come up, but with the off the throtle to full open in 2nd, it just squigs a bit.

I'm about 6'1 200 pounds, so I may be a bit heavy for the stocker to pull up. Anyone have any further advice?

Oh...my first gear to a shift up through 3rd works fine...and first gear wheelies are more fun to me...but 2nd would be so much easier to control...

Tips????
Gotta be a Twin!
BP team

Post by BP team »

KEVUSVTR,
First i thought that my VTR couldn't stand up in 2nd gear. i tried some time without really succeeded (the front wheel just lift up a little). then i heard a friend on a 900 CBR with a noisy exhaust doing a wheelie. i try to make the same shut off-open and i manage to pull up my bike! as for me there is two things that could obstruct wheels in 2. the rpm (in the first times, try arround 5000 or a little more). the timing of the "shut off-open" : very quick,1/2 or 1/4 seconde. The throttle must go down and immediately go up. there should be no idle period in the shut off gas.
Your weight isn't a problem. i also manage to pull my bike up with a passenger if that could make you confiant!
as smokin joe said : practice practice practice, little by little by little.
Enjoy :wink:
Oliv'
BP team

Post by BP team »

i just wanted to add an evidence to make you sure that the wheight isn't a problem. this is a picture took 2 weeks ago. the driver is a friend of mine i was talkin' about in the beginning of this subject. the driver set on the tank, i'm in the middle. the front wheel came in in 1st and also in 2nd gear. childish!
enjoy
oliv'
stormy 1

Post by stormy 1 »

smokin joes wrote:Easy mate,

second gear, constant 4,500 rpm, shut off, open up (quickly) and she WILL lift, how far (didtance) you go depends on how high you have the front wheel, once you find the "sweet spot" aka balance point, simply apply a litttle pressure to the rear brake, whilst adding a bit of throttle, this way you can hold it up for ever !!
The other way of course is to gently accelerate, I mean only a fraction of throttle here, as you get to the rev limiter you might want want to change up the box, drop off the throttle a little and kick it into the next gear.

Enjoy

Geoff M
Help me :!: :!: :!: :cry: ,I went out last night and tryed 2nd gear wheelies but the front only lifted 2inchs and that was with me pulling on the bars :oops: .I followed the instuctions above,what am I doing wrong :?: ,have you guys got a 15 tooth sprocket :?: .Im feeling abit depressed,I managed a 6meter stoppie and then proceded to nearly drop the bike :oops: ,gave up went home to bed :cry: .
noise polution?,you should see my MPG!!!
VTR1000fw,scorpian cans,dynojet and K&N all wrapped up in HRC colours.I need a HRC avatar!.
smokin joes

Post by smokin joes »

RIght then, cant do it off the throttle...??
Here is how to "cheat"

4000 rpm in second, pull the clutch all the way in, give her a big handfull of gas and let he clutch out, IT WILL RISE LIKE BUGGERY !!

When I say "Let the clutch out", I mean let it out, dont let it "snap" out of your hand, keep your fingers on the lever at all times, if it gets too frantic, just pull the clutch in and it will come back down again !!

Warm tyres and a dry road are essential for this, otherwise it will just spin,
For your info my gearing is as follows, stock 16 tooth on the front, 43 tooth on the rear,
But I could do it on a mated stock storm just as easily.

Dont give up, sometimes I try and hoist one, get everything just right and only mange a couple of inches, if you dont hit the sweet spot everytime, dont worry.
Experiment with different rev ranges, one tip I was given was to put abit of tape over the speedo so its one less thing to look at, go on the revs, not the speed.

Incedentally, when lookto it up" I often cruise for a few seconds right on 4000 rpm, this settles the fuelling down and at the last minute I shut off, VERY SLIGHTLY before pulling the clutch in, this makes the forks drop momentarilyand then rise again, that upward inertia is often a great help,

You can achive the same effect by applying alittle rear brake insteas of front, the rear will squat, causing the front to rise, then clutch, rev, release and hang on !!

Just out of interest, wherre are you from Stormy one ?? If not too far maybe we ould meet up and swap tips, I still cant get my knee down and I now have no effin tread left on my front tyre edges, !!lol

I'm in Stoke on Trent, you ??

Later blokes,

Geoff M
smokin joes

JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING

Post by smokin joes »

If the front wont lift, no matter what you try, check your rear suspension, if its set too hard, it wont allow the back end to "squat" qick enough, all the energy then causes the back of the bike to sit up and lurch forward,

I know, logic says if you accelerate hard the back will go down, it does'nt !! ever seen a bike on a Dyno?? the back end ALWAYS tries to lift, dont ask me why, but it does !!
so there

soft rear suspension makes a bike "front happy" !!true.

Geoff M
stormy 1

Post by stormy 1 »

Thanks SMOKIN JOES,
I will give it a try with the new method and maybe this time Ill have some sucess.The info about the rear end is somthing I hadnt thought about as my rear is stiff as hell and the reasone the back end lifts is the power through the chain drags the rear sprocket closer to the front by pulling the swinging arm down :wink: .I wont be about for the next week as Im going to RAF Wittering (stamford) on a course,sadly I get a hire car to rag so no storm :cry: .Any one from around there :?: ,any good pubs :?: .As for where Im posted ,Its RAF Kinloss scotland miles from nowhere but that has its good points,no plod,no gatsos and best of all some wicked roads and yes I can get my knee down but on roads like the ones here its easy :twisted: .Take care mate and thanks again,Im away from sunday lunch but will try and get on line once Im there or Ill get withdrawl 8O .
noise polution?,you should see my MPG!!!
VTR1000fw,scorpian cans,dynojet and K&N all wrapped up in HRC colours.I need a HRC avatar!.
EGG

Re: JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING

Post by EGG »

[quote="smokin joes"]If the front wont lift, no matter what you try, check your rear suspension, if its set too hard, it wont allow the back end to "squat" qick enough, all the energy then causes the back of the bike to sit up and lurch forward,

I know, logic says if you accelerate hard the back will go down, it does'nt !! ever seen a bike on a Dyno?? the back end ALWAYS tries to lift, dont ask me why, but it does !!
so there

soft rear suspension makes a bike "front happy" !!true.

Geoff M[/quo

Hi there,
just been reading your advice. I can get my front end 2 ft in the air and no more also it feels like it's going to flip. My arms are bent and all that. Any advice? What do you think about changing sprockets? front or rear and why?
Better to burn out than just fade away!