Rear caliper query

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Stormin Ben

Rear caliper query

Post by Stormin Ben »

Can anyone have a quick pop out to their bike and check something for me?

When you press on the rear brake lever, does the caliper rock slightly as you apply pressure?
Mine does
Might go some way to explaining why my brake pads have worn in a champfer and when I put in a new set the rear brake was running very hot for a while
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
dookie

Post by dookie »

Just tryed mine m8 and the caliper stayed rock solid so you must have a problem :(
There was a time i used to care
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

only put on braided hose on mine yesterday and can guarantee it doesn't move

perhaps the bolts holding it on have become worn allowing movement with the force of the wheel turning??

my bet it would be the rear bolt, as its more likely to pivot on this one
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Right,
I've taken a pic and cunningly put some arrowws on in paint-shop pro :lol:

Arrow a is the direction the caliper is moving (left to right, not fore-aft)

Arrow b clearly shows the gap between the disk and the pad (notice its only at the top, not the bottom ie a bit skew-wiff)

Got me a bit flummoxed, my only thought is that when the swing-arm's been powder coated its not 100% flat where the caliper plate fits against it
I'll check if it still does it with the spindle loose

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

right the caliper is supposed to move along "a" as the rear pad wears

is the pad on the outside flat?? or wearing more on the bottom away from the bolt??

could be not seated perhaps just right, mine was a right pain to reseat when i had them out

dunno if thats any help
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
alan

brake caliper

Post by alan »

Ben is it just that one pad thats wearing uneven?
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Is that a snake crawling through your wheel? :wink:
Rich.

Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Cuppa,
Wondered how long it would take some smart butt to spot that!! :lol:
Its my cable lock, but now you mention it I could use a guard snake!! 8O

Alan,
Nope, the pad on the other side has the gap at the bottom (ie the caliper itself is on a slant)

Rincewind,
The calipers not sliding left to right, its pivoting
The pad are brand new so its not them thats off, the old ones have a nice matching champfer on them
If you look at arrow b you can see the top of the pad is away from the disk and the bottom is in contact. On the other side the top touches the disk and the bottom has a gap
I have stripped, cleaned and CAREFULLY reassembled the entire assembly so its not that its just not on right :(
But keep guessing :)
meintjiesj

Post by meintjiesj »

All my bikes do it, the caliper move in the A direction. But that is only on the rear wheel.

For the pad wear, could it be warped disk, that is why it is on the top on one side and bottom on the other? I had it on my Transalp taht the front lft hand inside pad use to go at twice speed of the other three. That started just after the wife rode it up a pavement to avoid rear ending an flashy BMW.
alan

brake caliper

Post by alan »

Ben is the bolt that bolts the caliper to the bracket bent making the caliper slightly twisted or lifting it at the angle of your worn pad, or as Johan said a slightly warped disc other than that mate i aint got a clue.

PS sales pitch here :lol: if you dont get it sorted or something is knackered i have a disc and caliper/bracket :wink: :lol:

Alan
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Is the left hand pot (looking in your pic) seized or not working properly (blockage in the caliper?)? So the right pot is "pulling" the caliper the towards it when you pressure up the brake?

You did say you've stripped and cleaned them, so probably not, but only thing I can think of, except theres a bump in the mounting point that is acting as a fulcrum to pivot the caliper when you squeeze it.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

it will be wear inside the mounting bracket (the front mounting hole) where the steel pin fitted to the caliper slides in and out. This then enables the caliper to rotate slightly when the brake is applied. The rear may also be worn too. It's quite normal but you should really clean both out properly and grease ( I use moly) and check it slides easily. You could change the pin and collar just to make sure too.

I always used to push the caliper in a little (couple of millimeters) everyweek to keep things moving, prevents caliper and piston seals seizing (push against your other hand by supporting the inside of the disc so you don't bend it). REMEMBER to pump the rear brake back up straight away else you will be in for a shock at the end of you road on the next ride out.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Kitch wrote:Is the left hand pot (looking in your pic) seized or not working properly
Not working properly?? I should co-co, its bloody missing!! :lol: :lol: (tis a single piston caliper:wink:)

Del,
Blimey, voice from the past.
How ya doing mate, not heard you on here in AGES!!

Could well be wear in the pins, there is a reasonable amount of movement when its not got the wheel in.
But what confuses me is why it should be so keen to return to this '2degrees out of true position' whenever I release the brake.
I'm still not convinced its not something on the swingarm coz I know the powdercoats not perfect coz when I tighten up the spindle the right chain adjuster goes loose 8O
delmeekc wrote:REMEMBER to pump the rear brake back up straight away else you will be in for a shock at the end of you road on the next ride out.
LOL at that one. I've never forgotten that lesson after changing the front wheel at a Cadwell trackday, then rolling downhill into the collecting area to find a completely limp front brake lever!! 8O 8O
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Stormin Ben wrote:
Kitch wrote:Is the left hand pot (looking in your pic) seized or not working properly
Not working properly?? I should co-co, its bloody missing!! :lol: :lol: (tis a single piston caliper:wink:)

LOL! I thought there was a pot each side... Shows how closely I've looked at mine since I got it huh...
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

delmeekc wrote:it will be wear inside the mounting bracket (the front mounting hole) where the steel pin fitted to the caliper slides in and out. This then enables the caliper to rotate slightly when the brake is applied. The rear may also be worn too. It's quite normal but you should really clean both out properly and grease ( I use moly) and check it slides easily. You could change the pin and collar just to make sure too.

I always used to push the caliper in a little (couple of millimeters) everyweek to keep things moving, prevents caliper and piston seals seizing (push against your other hand by supporting the inside of the disc so you don't bend it). REMEMBER to pump the rear brake back up straight away else you will be in for a shock at the end of you road on the next ride out.
Del
Y'old mucker! :D
Where have you hiding? I thought I saw you name flash up at the bottom of the loggin screen last Friday lunch time when I logged in but then a second later it was gone.
How's the super motard running? are you still off roading it?

Pete.l